Painting on jack stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul

My C27 sits on a cradle of four jack stands. In the spring I'll apply antifouling paint. What is/are the recommendation(s) for painting the four hull spots that currently rest atop the stands? Brace the boat some how and back off one stand, paint, then repeat for each? Given her size, this sounds risky. Also, the most recent edition of Practical Sailor provides a run down on various antifouling paints. Does anyone have a personal recommendation? I'll be sailing in Lake Ontario; fresh water, moderate temperatures, shorter season, etc. Paul "Hamlet's Mill"

S

Steve

Here's what I've done

Paint the spots under the pads when the boat is on the lift. It's a common practice at all the yards I've ever used. My current one does it for me - I leave a brush and some bottom paint with the boat, and they paint it when they transfer it to the lift (or, at least they say they do).

R

Roger

six stands

Over the objections of the hauler, I have six stands on my C-27 in the driveway. I expect that I will be able to move stands that way, always having four in place when it comes time to put on the ablative. Even so, I want a calm day! I also prefer three on a side when I am climbing around up there, especially on the foredeck. But last year I painted the 'pad wounds' after it went onto the the travel trailer. Roger C-27 #5012 &Mabel Cape Cod

D

Dan

Steve's right

all the boat yards hit those spots while the boat is on the lift.

B

Bayard Gross

Or just a 2 X 4

While sounding a bit risky, you could wedge in a 2 X 4 with padding on top to temporarily hold the boat while you move the stand. Use some chalk to mark off where the pad lies so you are sure to paint all of it. Place the stand securly against the boat near from where you moved it and then paint the section marked out in chalk. The paint may need to only dry for about an hour before you place the stand back. During the wait, mark off the other three pads with chalk, and paint the bottom of the keel and other difficult to reach places. Placing carpet or other soft material covered with wax paper onto the stand tops before replacing them to their original positions where you just painted may help prevent the paint from sticking to the pads and being torn off when you are ready to launch.

J

J Simmonds

antifouling paint

I sailed on Lake Ontario for several years and used VC17 with great results. The drying time is very quick (eg: 10 minutes) so it makes getting under pads go a lot faster. Good luck.

P

Paul

1 gallon or 2?

Thanks for all of the advice. For a 27 foot boat, will one gallon of paint do it, or will I need to buy two?

G

gjferg

Just did my bottom in 1 gallon...

I just did my C27 with 2 good coats of Pettit Trinidad. Had enough for a 3rd coat at the water line.

S

Steve

For VC-17, depends on what's on there now!

A previous respondent recommended VC-17. I do to with one or two reservations. If there is not VC on the boat already, the bottom prep can be quite tedious. I know, because I've done it twice (with my first two boats). VC-17 requires a hard base. VC-Tar, Interlux barrier coats, or one of the hard racing bottom paints seem to be OK (read the instructions from the VC-17 people) If you have a soft, ablative bottom paint on there now, you will need to remove ALL of it, down to gelcoat or to a previous hard bottom. This usually required sanding to get rid of all of the soft crap. Once the bottom is sanded (and since you have spent so much effort in removing all of the previous bottom paint, you might as well fair the hull and the keel now), you should probably apply a barrier coat (to prevent blisters that might now form because you just damaged whatever barrier coat was already on the bottom). From here (and for all future years), just paint on the VC-17 and forget it. Prep for next year involvs washing the bottom with soap and water, rinsing with soap (and if you are feeling ambitious, acetone), and applying one or two coats of fresh VC-17. It dries in a few minutes (use a SMALL (5" or so) foam roller (the West System epoxy roller is excellent), and cover the top of the paint tray with aluminum foil to prevent too rapid evaporation of the solvent. For a C-27, you should be able to paint the bottom of your boat with two coats and use no more than 3 - 4 cans (0.8 qt /can)

Status
Not open for further replies.