painted teak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Merlin, how long?

Merlin, how long has the Azek been on your boat? Where do you keep the boat? That'll give us some idea of stability. If it's been on there 3 years in Florida, and it still looks like that, wow, that stuff is pretty good!

Thanks,
Brian

My deck trim was competely worn out and I couldn't justify a grand worth of teak stock so I used Azek deck lumber and am happy with the way it turned out, has held up and no varnishing:D.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Brian,
I installed it in Febuary or March of 2011. Those pics are from when it was new, I'll post a couple of recent ones so you can see how it's aged.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Merlin,
Is Azek similar to Trex or is it another name for PVC trim board? I've used both and I've found that Trex is heavier in weight than the PVC but the PVC can be adhered with PVC cement.

Also, what did you use for bungs? Do they have bungs for this composit material? I like using PVC Trim board on my boat.

Joe, get a plug cutter and make your own. Another reason to buy a another tool. lol

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Merlin, can you remember what color Azek you used?

I'm getting ready to make step treads for my boarding ladder. I'm planning to use stainless two hole metal clamps, or "two hole cable straps" to attach the treads so I don't have to drill into the stainless tubing. I'll drill semi-circular holes on the ends of the treads to recess the ladder uprights and prevent the tread from spinning. I've heard of folks doing this with wood, but then someone stepped on the tread, the tread rotated causing twist from the uprights, and then the tread split down the middle. So, I expect a fabricated material like Azek would help with that problem.

Thanks!
Brian

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Merlin, can you remember what color Azek you used?

I'm getting ready to make step treads for my boarding ladder. I'm planning to use stainless two hole metal clamps, or "two hole cable straps" to attach the treads so I don't have to drill into the stainless tubing. I'll drill semi-circular holes on the ends of the treads to recess the ladder uprights and prevent the tread from spinning. I've heard of folks doing this with wood, but then someone stepped on the tread, the tread rotated causing twist from the uprights, and then the tread split down the middle. So, I expect a fabricated material like Azek would help with that problem.

Thanks!
Brian
Joe, Azek is a different product/company than Trex. Azek does make house trim and is all 100% PVC.
When I was researching this I found that the companies that make composite lumber use pulp wood which is garbage and causes weakness when it rots and molds. There was a big lawsuit against Trex so they may have changed the formula. One of the box stores told me they dropped Trex entirely.
The Azek is a dense foam material and you can get samples at lumber yards that carry the products. I used Fawn, Cobre is a newer color and I think is closer to teak color: http://www.azek.com/azek-deck/colors/
There are other faux teak products aimed at the marine industry that may be better.
Edit: I bought a 3 peice bung cutter kit from one of the box stores and made my own bungs with scraps of the Azek. Set them with clear silicone.
ShareThis

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Thanks Joe.
I was at our local lumber yard yesterday and saw the new color "Cobre". Found out it wasn't closer to teak and I'd stick with the Fawn.
The yard had samples of another 100% PVC product called "Endeck" that is denser and heavier than Azek and has the molded wood grain on both sides. Only 4 colors to choose from http://www.enduris.com/decking/decking.cfm
I don't know how well Azek will work for your steps Brian.

Aug 15, 2011
macgregor mac 22 seabrook tx
That looks really good definately something to look into. I pulled a couple of the toe rails off yesterday and realized they were painted for a reason, and that reason is they aren't even teak I'm not sure what they are but I know they have been replaced in the past so I'm going to price some teak and some azek and see what I can find.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Definitely check the prices and get samples of the manmade products to so you can make your own descision. I was happy with the Azek look, color, etc for $3.08/board foot.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Yeah, especially when you can get 2 toe or hand rails out of one length!
This is a pic is a section of my toe rail, with screws and bedded, ready to install. I used butyl tale from Maine Sail and was VERY pleased that there was no goop to worry about or clean up.

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Hmm...

Merlin, what makes you hesitant on the Azek? My guess from having seen white Azek trim boards at my local big orange box store was that it might not be all that dense.

My other option was to have the Plasteak folks make some for me. Not sure of cost, for one thing, and they said the best time was back in the middle of winter, otherwise they get understandably busy. And of course, that was the worst time for me, the boat being well tarped a hour away at the lake. I wasn't able to get up there and get good measurements.

Then again, making my own has much appeal :D And, besides, to get the side holes cut precisely and right where I want them would require a nice Forstner bit and a drill press! What, I gotta go buy a drill press? Yay!

Brian

Thanks Joe.
I was at our local lumber yard yesterday and saw the new color "Cobre". Found out it wasn't closer to teak and I'd stick with the Fawn.
The yard had samples of another 100% PVC product called "Endeck" that is denser and heavier than Azek and has the molded wood grain on both sides. Only 4 colors to choose from http://www.enduris.com/decking/decking.cfm
I don't know how well Azek will work for your steps Brian.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Brian,
I just wonder if the Azek will be stiff enough. One of the things I liked about it is it bent easily enough to allow installing the toe rails without having to force them into position.
But as cheap as it is if it doesn't last it's not too painful to the wallet.
The Endeck is denser so might be better?
From my limited experience, the two lumber yards I found in our area that supply this stuff have samples of the material (but neither stock the material) so if there is one near you can check it out.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Stiff enough...

Merlin, I hear you about the stiffness. Maybe what I can do is use some of the trim stuff they sell in the Home Despot to do a test run. I figure that the length of the tread plate will be supported by the tubular frame, so that won't be a big deal. And width-wise, over a 4" span or so, shouldn't be an issue either.

I took a look at the other manufactured deck product they had. Further to this, I've seen it manufactured on TV before. It really is just coarse sawdust held together with plastic. (The one I saw on TV was recycled plastic grocery store bags.) I don't think it would be too much trouble on a ladder, but I agree those wood particles are ripe for rot. And I think it looked terrible.

Brian

Brian,
I just wonder if the Azek will be stiff enough. One of the things I liked about it is it bent easily enough to allow installing the toe rails without having to force them into position.
But as cheap as it is if it doesn't last it's not too painful to the wallet.
The Endeck is denser so might be better?
From my limited experience, the two lumber yards I found in our area that supply this stuff have samples of the material (but neither stock the material) so if there is one near you can check it out.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Definitely check the prices and get samples of the manmade products to so you can make your own descision. I was happy with the Azek look, color, etc for $3.08/board foot.
I have treks on first season, and so far no problems. There is an article regarding strength, which is very good, in one of the good old boat articles from the past 12 months.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Merlin, what makes you hesitant on the Azek? My guess from having seen white Azek trim boards at my local big orange box store was that it might not be all that dense.

My other option was to have the Plasteak folks make some for me. Not sure of cost, for one thing, and they said the best time was back in the middle of winter, otherwise they get understandably busy. And of course, that was the worst time for me, the boat being well tarped a hour away at the lake. I wasn't able to get up there and get good measurements.

Then again, making my own has much appeal :D And, besides, to get the side holes cut precisely and right where I want them would require a nice Forstner bit and a drill press! What, I gotta go buy a drill press? Yay!

Brian
Also, I am not in agreement with the statement about t treks being the same as iberboard. Yes Trex has ground-up wood particles in it but that doesn't not make it fiberboard. Trex is a composite material, (composite may not be the technically accurate term) regarding wood particles mixed with a plastic. Not the same as fiberboard at all. The strength is more than adequate. I guess it depends on what is available in your area. My only concern is with the adherence of sealant to the Trex. I do not yet have adequate experience to comment on that. I cannot see it being worse than the oily teak. I chose to simply let the screwheads be visible, not using bungs. The kiss method.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Someone else here had used Trex and was happy with it. As I recall he had finished it with varnish or urethane and it looked good.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Also, I am not in agreement with the statement about t treks being the same as iberboard. Yes Trex has ground-up wood particles in it but that doesn't not make it fiberboard. Trex is a composite material, (composite may not be the technically accurate term) regarding wood particles mixed with a plastic. Not the same as fiberboard at all. The strength is more than adequate. I guess it depends on what is available in your area. My only concern is with the adherence of sealant to the Trex. I do not yet have adequate experience to comment on that. I cannot see it being worse than the oily teak. I chose to simply let the screwheads be visible, not using bungs. The kiss method.
You know this would be a really good thread on ask all sailors. Something like "alternatives to teak trim".

Status
Not open for further replies.