Packing nut drips ??

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Furnishes the shaft log with fresh oxygenated H2O so as to retard corrosion activity attributable to stagnant water. Saw a damaged shaft from powerboat with a rather long shaft and shaft log (tube actually) that had been idle for a long time. That shaft was severely damaged - looked like swiss cheese.

I have my powerboat guys run the motors regularly during winter inactivity. That way the water surrounding the shaft gets replaced with fresh water without having to move the boat from the slip.

Charles

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks Charles.
Being clogged it did nothing. Now that it is open, maybe it will do the job intended. Thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Furnishes the shaft log with fresh oxygenated H2O so as to retard corrosion activity attributable to stagnant water.
I know what you mean about ox starvation around the SS shaft. I leave mine idle for the winter, and if anywhere on the shaft is going to suffer, it's the surface under the packing material. I slid back the gland nut (after a long winter) without turning the shaft (several years ago) just with the idea of inspecting the shaft and "viola" I still have a mirror finish. Now, having seen that, I still haven't seen the rest of the shaft within the log . I don't know the actual comp. of the shaft, but I think (hope) it's a high grade material.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Now that it is open, maybe it will do the job intended.
And that job would be ..................................... ? ? ? ? Somebody knows but nobody's saying.

Does the 1/4" hose attach to the log hose or further back on the fiberglass section ?

Oct 22, 2014
Ralph it is back on the fiberglass section of the shaft log. If you expand the second image you can see two pairs of hose clamps around the hose section of the shaft log. Then the hose attachment further aft. So not connected to the Packing Nut.

Oct 22, 2014
Think it is original install. Perhaps because of the stainless shaft they used the same set up as the power boats Charles mentioned.

Jan 4, 2006
Think it is original install.
Taking a closer look at the installation, I can see that it is indeed attached to the FG log.

HoseToShaftLog.JPG

My mind now wanders to the matter of "how solidly is the attachment connected to the FG " ? Or is there a metal tube under the FG. Never had the dubious priviledge of working on that area, so no knowledge of it.

I'd just hate to have that fitting give way at some time when not at the boat. And if it is a PO installation, that only makes it more questionable.

Oct 22, 2014
It is an unknown to me. When I reinstalled the hose and tightened the hose clamp there was no movement. There have been no leaks that I have detected. It is a mandatory check point on the boat when I board and prepare to get under way. From it's location I may have to remove the engine to do anything about it. If I do remove the engine or find a failure then it will be a high priority to address. For 43 years it has not been an issue. So the time to act may be sooner than I know.

Jan 4, 2006
This is what the inside of that shaft log looks like. I know I DO NOT want to work back there.

Shaft Log.JPG

The intent may have been to drill through the FG and into the bronze cylinder, tap the hole and insert a male NPT to hose adapter. The strength still remains an unknown.