Packing gland how often to replace

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
See my comment above...... yes I got mental boat confusion. My previous Pearson is the one I changed in the water and cutless was on strut..... minimal water came in.
Though the real quest will be if you do a full change getting all the old out. If it’s tht old and used that you packed it fully down you may have a challenge in front of you.

Greg

SteveB

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Venice, FL
Just back from two days in the boat yard. Thanks to everyone who offered perspective. You guys are right on the money. Short version--took forever to loosen the nut from the gland. Had to borrow big boy tools from trawler capt. Once loose, water did come in but real problem was not enough clearance to easily get pick in and clean out in a timely manner à la dlochner. Time slot opened up on the lift late afternoon and I took it. Thanks for the picture, Solstice. Wish I had that much room. Will try to get one of mine tomorrow. Can now check everything. Cutlass bearing and stern tube are four years old.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Cutlass bearing and stern tube are four years old.
They should be almost like new...but since you have it out of the water, check for uneven wear on the cutlass bearing.

Greg