P42 head system solenoid

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
hunter passage 42 Stony Pt., NY
I need to replace the solenoid on my forward head system. After extensive searching I found it behind an access panel in the starboard, forward cabinet.
The only ID on the part is 2-27106. I've contacted Hunter and am waiting on a reply.
I cannot find the location for the aft head. Any advice would be grateful.
20200524_130405.jpg

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
Anyone following my previous posts know I was installing an arch on Orion, my P42. Here are a couple of pics with the main arch installed. Still waiting on solar & wind generator but am very pleased how the project is coming along.
20200522_110701.jpg
20200522_110615.jpg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I need to replace the solenoid on my forward head system. After extensive searching I found it behind an access panel in the starboard, forward cabinet.
The only ID on the part is 2-27106. I've contacted Hunter and am waiting on a reply.

Jabsco 37038-1012 Solenoid Breaker 12V is the part # for the Jabsco solenoid valve...available from a number of retailers that have a wide range of prices for it. Can't help you to find it on your aft head except to say that if it's hidden behind a panel in one head, there's at least a 90% chance it's behind a panel somewhere in the other one. And if your boat was built before Hunter became Marlow Hunter, it's unlikely they'll reply because new owners rarely keep any of the previous ownership's files.

--Peggie

p.s. PLEASE upload photos as thumbnails instead of full size (clicking on a thumbnail expands it to full size).

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our aft head solenoid is mounted on the starboard bulkhead engine compartment, right next to the vented loop.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Your photo depicts one of the old style Jabsco solenoids which are no longer in production. Jabsco now makes the "updated" version of that solenoid. The new version includes a rotating valve that permits you to adjust for the amount of air that enters the line. Regardless of whether you consider it an upgrade or not, the old ones are no longer available. I don't know why, but I seem to go through solenoids on my aft toilet about once every three years or so and I always keep a couple on hand.

Peggy gave you the correct part number for the quiet flush Jabsco toilet, but I suspect you may have the same 37010 series toilet that I have on my Passage 42. The part number for that solenoid is 37068-2000. And you'll find the solenoid precisely where Terry said it is. (You may have to get your entire upper body in there with a flashlight to see it--it can hide behind the scupper hose or the angle-iron battery stand).

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The 37068-2000 solenoid is intended to be installed in a vented loop in the 37010 sea water intake line. The 37038, intended for use in the fresh water 37045 toilet has a built-in siphon break designed to protect the fresh water supply...no vented loop needed.

--Peggie

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
Thank you Peggie, Terry and Paul. Terry nailed the location. Found it mounted just beneath the vented loop. Paul is correct in that I have the 37010 series, so the solenoid is on the seawater intake side. The problem is the old and newer solenoids are directly connected to small diameter hoses, not to the vented loop as you can see in the attached photo. So the solenoid is neither of the two suggested. To access the aft, the upper 8D battery would need to be removed as it is beyond arms reach. What else is new....
Luckily the forward is accessible thru the cabinet I spoke of earlier. That being said, I still need to find the solenoid that is right for this application.

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There are only two Jabsco solenoid valves--one for use with sea water toilets, one for use with toilets that use onboard pressurized fresh water. They're installed in the flush water INLET line...the hose in your photo appears to be a toilet discharge line, so I suspect that neither of yours were correctly installed. (Never assum that an OEM installation was done correctly...boat builders are the WORST sanitation system plumbers on the planet!) You'll find instructions for replacing/installing the corect one in the owners manual(s) for your toilet(s). If you don't have the manual(s), I'll be glad to post links to 'em if you can tell us the which toilets you have.

--Peggie

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013

Jabsco 37038-1012 Solenoid Breaker 12V is the part # for the Jabsco solenoid valve...available from a number of retailers that have a wide range of prices for it. Can't help you to find it on your aft head except to say that if it's hidden behind a panel in one head, there's at least a 90% chance it's behind a panel somewhere in the other one. And if your boat was built before Hunter became Marlow Hunter, it's unlikely they'll reply because new owners rarely keep any of the previous ownership's files.

--Peggie

p.s. PLEASE upload photos as thumbnails instead of full size (clicking on a thumbnail expands it to full size).
Peggie,
Safe to assume that since the solenoid is on the incoming seawater side, that it is normally in the open position and closes when activated to flush?