P26 Rudder Repair Question

Jun 5, 2020
Pearson 26 OD Bridgeport
Hi All,

The rudder stock on my P26 has a cracked eye where the bolt goes through to connect to the tiller system (see attached photo). Does anyone have advice on a solve to this problem?

The way I see it I have the following options available.

1) take it to a machinist and have them weld a piece of aluminum. Not sure if this is cost effective or not, just spit balling. I would then by new bushings
2) Scour boat yards/salvage sites for a used p26 rudder system and put it in its place. Any suggestions are much appreciated!
3) Retrofit a different rudder onto my p26 and proceed forward. Not sure what I should be looking for in this regard, any advice would be great.

Let me know what you guys think!

Rudder cracked issue.jpg

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Search D and R Marine site. They have many parts for p26...... and if you don’t see it call and speak with Rudy.... he may have an answer for you.

good luck
Greg

Jun 5, 2020
Pearson 26 OD Bridgeport
Hi all, looks like my uncle (a machinist) is going to cut off the top 7 inches or so of the shaft and recreate it in his shop, and weld it back on to the original shaft. We understand that's a temporary fix, but the aluminum shaft for the most part is still in good shape so we are just trying to get it in the water basically.

Jul 1, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Boston
I’m selling a nearly new D & R rudder for the P26. I’m parting out the whole boat as I convert it to an electric cruiser.