Overheat adventure on 1985 Universal M12

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
24,788
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Put Teflon tape on the thread I imagine.
No. Most temp sensor’s are electrically grounded by being threaded into the engine block. The Teflon tape will insulate the sensor and you’ll wonder why it is not working.

The threads are NPT and generally produce a sealed attachment.
 
  • Like
Likes: sailme88
Aug 17, 2010
376
Oday 35 Barrington / Warwick RI
better source than Depco is Pumpsandpartsonline.com - Cardinal Pump
 
Mar 6, 2008
1,517
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I can easily say that I am an expert when it comes to rebuilding the oberdorfer raw water pump.
Visit here
And view both album Images to get an idea of how to rebuild. I used steering wheel puller to remove and reinsert the seals.
Later I discovered identical seals for about $14.00 each that was encased in neoprene. It could be inserted with just a finger. I had my doubts that it would last very long. It has now been 42 hours with no leaks. To rebuild, you only need to replace the 2 seals when they start to leak.
PM me if you need more info.
 
  • Helpful
Likes: jssailem
Jul 5, 2011
771
Oday 28 Madison, CT
The saga continues. Rebuilt pump installed and new T-stat and sender also. Took a run down the channel and same thing, 200 degrees nearly. should have burped it so that will be next along with checking heat exchanger mung. Both end caps can be removed. Mr. Cool wants $24 just for the UPS of a replacement end cap so wonder if I need that to get a new rubber seal. Awful how some companies mark up their shipping cost.