Outhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Stodola

Batten Orientation

Hi MArk, No appologies necessary just trying to keep the information as succinct as possible. Actual cloth orientation, is to align the fill fibers of the fabric with the loads of the main. Since the majority of the sail load is up the leech, the panels in a crosscut main are basically perpindicular to the leech. Batten orientation, is not related to fabric orientation. Full batten mains use the tension of the batten against the luff to hold out the leech/roach. The larger the roach, such as with multihulls, the more neceassary full length battens become. Full length battens are generally parallel to the foot which is better for absorbing batten compression against the mast and the sail also lays better when down or reefed. And yes, full length battens will cross seams on an angle, this does not affect the strength or design shape of the sail. Once again, the full battens follow the designed shape, they do not induce shape. On Standard or partial batten mains, the leech is supported better when the battens are perpendicular to the leech because they end in the middle of the sail. You will also see many standard mains where the top two or three battens are perpendicular to the leech, but the lowest batten(s) within the reef areas are parallel to the foot in order to allow the sail to lay better when reefed. As far as batten ends or luff tracks are concerned, some sort of fully articulated batten end fitting is recommended to distribute the compression loads of the full battens, as they are basically trying to push past the mast. Not all boats require these, it will really depend on the type of slide the mast accepts. The larger the sail and boat, the greater the need for some kind of fittings.

M

MArk

Thanks, Tim S.

Tim, I see where you're coming from. My concern was that pulling draft out of foot would not carry up the sail because the batten pockets would interfere with the give in the sailcloth bias. A scary thought just hit me. If you could make a batten that becomes stiffer when downward pressure is applied, you could have absolute control of sail shape from top to bottom. You could use sail materials with virtually no give in any direction and still vary the fullness. What a great marketing feature. Maybe I should patent this before you do! Timm, Funny how Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity and sail making both rely heavily on non-Euclidian geometry, huh? Happy (fusion powered) sails *_/), MArk

M

MArk

More Reading Material

Timm, In case you weren't confused enough already... Here's Pineapple's diatribe (related link). They argue both for and against full-length battens. Hey, maybe you would be interested in my pneumatically adjustable full-length battens (Air Bats for short). They're light weight and their stiffness is individually adjustable from the cockpit. The little 12V air compressor runs just when needed. Where's a capital venturist (or is that ventriloquist?) when you need one? Check out this link for other Air Bat uses: http://www.balloonhq.com/highlights/dog/ Happy (fusion powered) sails *_/), MArk

Status
Not open for further replies.