outboard weight for 26X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupluv

Nov 11, 2007
- - wilmington, ca
I'm thinking of buying a used 26X. However the boat has a 70hp Suzuki outboard that weighs 356 lbs. That seems like a lot to hang off the back of a 26X, about a 100lbs more than a typical 50hp. Any opinions on how this would affect handling and stability?

Apr 21, 2006
Macgregor 26X Pirates Cove, Alabama
26X transom load

It appears to be quite common nowadays to hear of 26X's carrying anything up to 90 horses. I don't recall ever seeing where anyone suffered performance or stability issues. I personally chose a 20hp 4 Stroke Honda. It weighs in at 108 lb. Perhaps the extra weight low down could enhance stability. Ron

Jun 4, 2006
Macgregor 26X Gray Hawk, KY
Its Fine

You will be fine. Lots of folks are using the larger engines with no problems. The factory does authorize the 70HP engine. You must realize that sailing an X is like driving a school bus on a road rally course. Its not the best sailor on the water. Adding the larger engine makes it like a school bus with three kids in it, not a lot of difference. If it is a good deal and you can afford it, go for it. You won't be disappointed having the 70 Suzuki.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
options

I am no authority but I just have to think that all of that weight way out on the stern can't be good for the sailing quality. You could always sell the motor and get something lighter. If you want an X and it's a good deal then go for it and deal with the motor later. Are there any cracks in the transom? Any structural signs that it isn't compatible?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Go Big, or get a real sailboat

If I were going to get a new M or X, I'd get a least a 70hp, and probably a 90. AND beef up the transom. whats the point of having a dual purpose boat, that will not do anything well. (is it really a great sailboat? or more like a boat that can sail) but you gotta use common sense and not try blasting thru a choppy sea, or it will crack. fwiw, I saw a post and video of an X with a suzi 140hp...

Jun 3, 2004
-macgregor -26x o'side, ca
Roger Mac just authorized the ETEC 50/60hp

SoCal Mac dealer Mike Inmon says that for 2008 the M will come from the factory with a 2-stroke ETEC 50/60 powerhead (240# dry weight). The customer can choose which horsepower he wants as the weight is the same.

P

Pierre

Critical Issue

If you need to trailer more than 10 miles, there will be problems: 1) Tongue weight: My 50 hp Tohatsu weighs 180 lbs, and the tongue weight is 285 (MacGregor recommends 260 to 290). Your heavy motor will reduce the tongue weight below 200, so that the trailer will tend to sway dangerously at highway speeds. 2) Tires: My tires are ST215/75/R14, capacity 1870 lbs. My trailer/boat weight is 3,500 lbs; substracting tongue weight, the tires are loaded with 3,215 lbs, or 1,608 each, and I have a reserve capacity of 262 pounds per tire. Your trailer/boat weigh would be near 3,700. Substracting your estimated tongue weight of 180, your tires carry 3,520 lbs., or 1,760 each. If you have the standard 205/75/14 size, the load capacity is 1,760, and you have no reserve capacity, which is not a desirable situation. You would need to get stronger tires which will cost a little over $200.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
So Compensate

Too much weight on the back end??? Simply compensate by shifting other weighty items forward. I have an '03M with the light 212# Honda 50 on the back, probably the optimum compromise but I have experienced occasions of dis-satisfaction. One will inevitably experience light air days when there is insufficient breeze to overcome currents and it is not even worth hoisting the sails. It is on those lazy hazy hot windless summer days that having the big HP becomes a godsend. It can be frustrating after morphing to powerboat mode only to find that even at WOT with that poor Honda screaming its' guts out you still don't quite get out of the hole and onto plane. It is then that one starts questioning their original decision to go with the light Honda and wish it was the Honda 90. Ideally you want to get the best power to weight ratio possible (in the 4 stroke engines the Honda 50 wins)but in order to get the extra HP you must consider a bit of weight compromise. The E-tec 90 and Tohatsu 90 both 2 strokes lead the pack with the Honda 90 close behind. One cannot really make an informed decision within the small vacuum of variables mentioned here so far, you need some real world experiences to apply to your decision process. By that I mean get out there and experience your own individual style of sailing and boating. How and when do you use that engine? When day sailing I only use it to get out there where I can hoist the sails and if there is insufficient wind I simply remain at the slip and sit back with a brew, I am not interested in going out if I cannot sail. On the other hand there is the extended trip boating (several days) when either motor sailing is the mode of travel or all out engine power without sails. It is then that HP becomes the deciding factor, especially if it is hot and still with calm water. One can cover much greater distances in shorter time spans with that extra HP and have more fun at the same time. I often pine for that extra HP on those occasions. Often on our extended excursions we overnight at marinas for the conveniences they offer and usually it is first come first served visitor slip assignment. Man I wish I could zoom zoom to that marina at 25 MPH to get the last slip before the next guy. The big HP would allow us to sleep in later, lay around more, and generally goof off and enjoy ourselves without the pressure of allowing time to travel to the next destination, big HP would buy time. As for the extra weight, well you can shift all the heavy stuff forward, like food and water to compensate for the added engine weight. Try moving the batteries further forward. You can also move your own fat A$$ forward and have you petite Admiral at the helm as I do. There are ways to balance the load more evenly using some creativity, you just need to don your thinking cap. As for towing, again creativity comes into play. Dual axles come to mind, empty the gas tanks or move them forward, put all supplies in the V-berth, especially the bottled water and beer, lower the ball hitch, the list goes on. By the way the M trailer has 15" tires and is rated for 5000# and the factory warranty is only one year and non-transferable and I have yet to find a compliance plate anywhere on the boat that states the Max HP on it. When making any decisions allways get as much data and real world experience as possible and never take a single opinion over a multitude of opinions and try to read between the lines to get a feel for the underlying biases of various opinions. You, Yours allways has some good arguments to put forth and I have often heeded his advice, but on this particular topic his propensity to being a pure sailor overshadows his bias to the point of being excessively adamant with it. He even prefers a tiller over a wheel if that provides any insight, he is a sailor first and boater second, take his arguments on this one with a grain of salt. No offense YY, TT, just putting you into perspective.

C

Captain E

140 hp MAC

I WANT TO KNOW MORE INFO ABOUT THAT 140 hp mac pictured below by you yours...

Jun 8, 2004
Power Trip

You Yours Wrote: 4.The original carbureted Honda 35 was declared a 40 and then a 50 hp, which Honda admits “Zero” change and cannot offer explanation for any greater than before rating. Today’s modern “Fuel Injected” 4-stroke, computer controlled outboards rated at a more realistic 50 hp offer better performance than the outdated and over-rated Honda. ******************************* Sounds like grounds to deep-six my POS Honda ******************** 3.Attempting to balance your boat after removing the Honda 50 to replace it with a #250 lb heavier 90 hp Honda creates excess weight on the transom. You cannot add sandbags forward believing your marginal increase in motoring speed will offset the boats loss of sailing potential. ************************************* I was thinking total 320# for a 90HP only 110# more than the 50HP, kind of like an extra child passenger. Never thought of sandbags, just thought I'd shift fuel and drinking liquids around. *************** 5.Knowing when you’re a potential "Closet Motor-Boater” is easily identified by “Zoom~Zoom” or “Craving More Horsepower” or “Horse Power Becomes the Deciding Factor” and being more concerned about your departure and arrival, than how much you've enjoyed time on the water. ************************************************** Got a BIG CHUCKLE from this one!! A Closet-case???? Just pointing out times of need. Actually I enjoy my time on the water in a wide variety of ways including daysail sail onlys. I do have a desire for power though, that's why I drive a '94 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 liter 32 valve double overhead cam V8. And let's not ignore the fact that having a big HP on board is the equivelent of having Angelina Jolie on board!

C

Captain E

Boat Balance

This is why I'm glad I have the 26S classic , I don't have to worry about motor problems. Although I admit, I got the biggest 9.9 HP motor (weight 107lbs) to fit the motor transom, with the yamaha 9.9 HP the boat does not feel balance and hope to move battery and maybe extra ballast up front.

May 4, 2005
Planing ability

What it all boils down to, is, can the boat get up on a plane, in moderate conditions. like when things get nasty. a 4 year old motor and a loaded boat that can't get up and go, its just not enough HP. I've never ever been sorry I had too much motor.

Jun 8, 2004
Sympathy??

You Yours wrote: "Captain Kermie If Angelina Jolie is aboard, you better have a big pusher! Our deepest sympathy for the Admiral." Misplaced sympathies considering the Admirals choice of skipper is Capt. George Clooney! Still stand with the bigger HP crowd. If BWY can put a 350# 70 HP Suzi on the transom then I can put a 320# 90 HP on it. If one cannot get her up on plane then one is not appreciating the true duality of the powersailer. It is those dead calm days they (90HP) come in handy not the rough stormy ones. I've been sorry for not having enough HP in autos but never for having too much. I think a 320# 90 HP and some common sense would suit the Mac just fine. As A side note YY, do you still own that old detroit muscle tow vehicle? PS Don't bother linking quotes from Sailnet, it is an anti MacGregor site. Accidents happen to all manner of boats, not just Macs. You forgot to provide links to all the other thousands of boating accidents that do not include MacGregors. We have accidents up here in the PNW regularly and they include some big seaworthy vessels, yet they still continue to happen. If one were to get all the precise stats the percentage of macs involved in mis-haps would be miniscule compared to the overall total. Only a politician would portray stats like that YY, try to be more careful.

May 4, 2005
Clarification please

YY, if I understand correctly, the only time a bigger motor helps if its relativly calm, < 3' seas? if thats true, then yeah, I'm not sure what the point of the big motor is, other than haulling a$$. (ie, for a lake boat) you'd be down to 'slog' speed with either motor. and need to either sail reefed, or slog it home with the motor... in which case a 25hp would be better for sailing. due to lighter weight. (guessing, the 'dolphin' fin type of lift bolted to the cavitation plate doesn't help) -and just when I was thinking a powersailer might be nice, for me... (almost always, biscayne bay has a 2' chop (or more) seas, and if its less than 2' then there is zero wind.) so, unless its flat, you're limited to about 8-10kts motoring... hmm lots of $$$ for +2 to 4 knts)

Jun 8, 2004
Boating Venues

There are sailing venues that capitalize, exploit, utilize or make the most of the true duality of the power sailer w/HP and then there are venues that simply do not. That is why one must decide how, when & where they will do their boating. It is not about the technical details of weight, balance & speed which in the end can be compensated for, it is about ones personal style of boating and how it matches the venue. Up here in the PNW there are several passes to negotiate that have strong tidal currents, not to mention we also experience 10-15 foot tides so a strong motor becomes essential unless one is willing to wait for slack tide (which is very short duration). We also have more than our share of commercial traffic - ferries, container ships other boaters, it is a mecca out there. There is also widespread variation of wind & water conditions. Sometimes it really whips up out there and the big HP is not as advantageous, whereas other times it is dead calm, and then there is every condition in between. The main point is that there are many many occasions where one can utilize both aspects of the MacGregor powersailer and this particular little boat is extremely well suited to the venue we have here.

J

JonBill

Pupluv, Go with Tohatsu 90 Only 315lbs.

Pupluv, Go with the Tohatsu 90 it's only 315lbs so it will give you 20 more HP than the Suzuki 70 and the Tohatsu 90 weighs 41 lbs. less than the Suzuki 70. So you will have the best of both worlds. Lighter engine and more power. And the Tohatsu 90 weighs only about 100 lbs. more than the Honda 50 but has 40 more HP. That's almost the equivalent power of having 2 Honda 50HP outboards but at more than 100 lbs. lighter and at 60% of the cost (of the 2 Hondas). It's a no brainer to all but the most stubborn of the "smaller is better" crowd. And that club only has one full time member the best I can tell. Kindest Regards, JonBill

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
The score so far as I see it

Regarding the X,M motor size.. YY has 4000 million carefully thought out, well referenced and eloquently written words on why the smaller motor is better Vs.. "Go big or get a real sail boat" and for some reason Angelina Jolie (or a look alike) will join you if you have a big motor.. YY is in catch up mode at the moment but Im sure has some ammo still to come.

J

JonBill

Pupluv, Ask Yourself Why An X ?

If you're like me you're interested in an X (or M for that matter) because you want a dual purpose boat, which is why I bought my "M". I have an M but for the purpose of this discussion (outboard size) it's the same boat as an X. If I only wanted a sailboat I wouldn't have bought the "M". For sailing only I prefer the Hunters and used to own one. If I only wanted a motor boat I would have bought the 24' Glastron, but wanted a dual purpose boat one that sailed or motored. When I want to sail I go sailing. When I don't have time to sail, want to fish or whatever or there's no wind and want to motorboat, then I go motoring. Why motor with an undersized 50hp on a 26' dual purpose boat when you can motor with a properly sized 90hp safely with this boat? Especially when the 90 doesn't weigh appreciably more than most 4-stroke 50's, but "greatly" improves speed and performance. You can actually get the mnfgrs salespitch speed with the 90 and then some. Mine will cruise 19mph at 3800-4000RPM (and won't use any more fuel than a 50 HP will use to go the same speed) and mine will go WOT at 25mph 5400RPM. I wouldn't go any higher than the 90 (or heavier at 315#) on the "M" but wouldn't go any lower either. So I do whatever floats my boat (pun intended) and what floats mine is a 90hp Tohatsu. It provides no problems on the sailing performance side whatsoever and provides pure boating pleasure on the motoring side. So ask yourself, why am I interested in the X? If it is because you want a dual purpose boat then why undersize the motor at 50 hp? There are a lot of people that post on this board and other boards with the X and M boats that are not happy and think they are under powered with their 50HP motors. But no one that I know of that has gone with a higher hp motor on the M or X is dissatisfied with the results on motoring or on sailing performance. And all that other mumbojumbo posting is just exactly that - mumbojumbo. The question that should be important to you is what do you want from your boat? The answer to that question will tell you what motor is the right one for you. Kind Regards, JonBill

May 4, 2005
clarify pls

I read a long story of a guy that took an X to bahamas, (exumas/GB) and said the 25hp was plenty for ocean travel, as it used less fuel, and you couldn't use the extra power. in most conditions... and I've seen the 140hp video zipping by a lake... so, when does the 50-90 hp come into play? when can you use it? Clearly there are better pure sailboats than the X or M, but few sailboats have the cabin volume, and the ability to 'run for home' when needed... (can we (at least) agree that the M and X don't point as high, or sail as fast as other non power sailers?) So, help me understand when the extra motor can be used to get up on a plane and run for home? I'm sure the extra power comes in handy in swift currents, like the PNW, or maine, but I'm not sure that a 25hp would be a problem, or a 10hp on a classic. the older I get, the more I think it would be nice to have a dual use boat... but the advantages seem questionable.

A

anon

unethical posting

Posting with a anon is chicken sh!t - but this site allows it and its mostly fair. However, posting something and trying to make it look like someone else did it is slimmy - maybe even a form of identity theft. As an example, see post #57 on this link http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?fno=202&uid=73319331571&SKU=2007218134208.62 Note also an interesting thing about this web site is that if your registered when posting, you can edit and delete. However, non registered posting is permanent - whomever did it can no delete it. The web host also logs IP addresses on non registered posting. Also, when posting a picture here, you must have have the photo on your computer. If you post a picture and took it off another web site, in some cases, this voilates copyright laws and would be illegal. In other cases where someone lifted a picture from another source and posted it without any reference to who owns the picture, it would at least be very rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.