outboard weight for 26X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2006
Macgregor 26X Gray Hawk, KY
Beg your pardon!

YY, You have a remarkable memory for posts and such (Skipboo cards post). Unfortunately, you are confused as to individuals. I don't think you have ever seen my sailing skills. If you were ever around when I was sailing, you should have introduced yourself. We could have had a nice chat over a couple beers. I live in Kentucky. My boat is an X named Last Flight with the 50 Honda. Beene, I believe, lives in Canada and has an M named Pegasus and a 75 Merc. Clearly, Last Flight is not in those videos. It is hard keeping everything straight and you have done well until this minor identification problem. If we do ever cross paths, please introduce yourself. Always happy to meet a Mac driver.

Oct 17, 2007
- - Chesapeake/ Fairfax va
Change the stickers.

Just change the stickers on the motor and label it 50hp. I think every hot rod car(which I find more dangerous) has this same issues over insurance. Does it stop them from doing it? If you guys can't handle the heat don't do it. For those who do it, lets have a discussion on how to do it safely and also know there might be consiquence if cought. I think most people who are upgrading understand that it will only benefit those who will use it on a calm lake and not rough choppy seas, as it would be too harsh to run fast on the chop, even on a 50 hp.

S

sardo

Big hearty LOL

It's always the case and speaking of which, Clown Pilot who has a PhD in electrical engineering hardly ever lends a hand on these boards ... he is stubbornly mute and believes in, "If I tell you, I'll have to bill you!" adage. Same goes with knowledgeable sailors of wisdom and delight like Ross, RW Landeau, Figly, Mr. Bill, JonBill and Retcoastie to name a few. Seems the guys with the skill (and knowledge) seem to refuse to join into the bullsht that's being spread around here. oiy veh sardo

J

JonBill

But bigger is definitely more fun!

YY, Going bigger may not necessarily be "better" as you have stated but one thing for sure going bigger is definitely more "fun". Also why be like everyone else? Some of us have to be different, are nonconformist and simply like to have more fun. So all of the endless dogma that you've been fomenting in great volumes about 50 hp, motors on X and M boats means absolutely nothing to those of us who refuse to conform to conventional dogma and who simply like to have more fun. And what is fun? It is whatever floats your boat! And what floats my M boat is a 90hp Tohatsu!! Having more fun in Palacios, Kind Regards, JonBill

Jenni

May 24, 2007
Macgregor 26D Port Hope, ON
hrmm

Wow there is alota heat in this topic, and I know I may get flammed but I personally feel pretty happy with the 6.7 - 7 knts that I can get out of the 9.9 Yamaha on my 26D. I have only rarely been tempted to try a 15 or 20hp on the back to see if I could push the Wind Song along any faster. But honestly I would have a real hard time pulling up anything bigger than what we have. And actually the best speed we have ever got out of her was under sail and not with the motor down at all. We got up to 7.2 knts heading out of Kingston on a broad reach.

J

JonBill

Jenni; 2 Completely Different Boating Experiences

Jenni, Sorry I didn't answer your post sooner but just returned from West Palm where I was visiting my mother. My mother insisted we hit the opera and the symphony and we also saw the Rockettes Christmas show at the Theater of fine Arts in Fort Lauderdale. So I was a little tied up and wasn't able to get down to the water while there. However it was hard to refuse Mother on that last request. The Rockettes were sensational and they have a nice surprise at the end of their Christmas show including a live nativity scene and scripture reading. Quite a contrast I'd say but it was a spectacular event overall. And if anyone hasn't seen the show at the Radio City Music Hall or while they are on tour I highly recommend it. Now to the point in question. Welcome to the discussion! I agree with you BTW. For your boat your motor is spot on and I would have the same or similar motor if I had your boat. My interest in the M boat (or the X for that matter) is because it is a dual purpose boat, which is why I bought my "M". I have an M but for the purpose of this discussion (outboard size) it's the same boat as an X. If I only wanted a sailboat I wouldn't have bought the "M". For sailing only I prefer the Hunters and used to own one. If I only wanted a motor boat I would have bought the 24' Glastron, but wanted a dual purpose boat one that sailed or motored. When I want to sail I go sailing. When I don't have time to sail, want to fish or whatever or there's no wind and want to motorboat, then I go motoring. The M and the X boat don't motor as well as a motor boat and they don't sail as good as a sailboat but they do both. So why motor with an undersized 50hp on a 26' dual purpose boat when you can motor with a 90hp safely with this boat? Especially when the 90 doesn't weigh appreciably more than most 4-stroke 50's, but "greatly" improves speed and performance. You can actually get the Macgregor sales pitch speed with the 90hp and then some. Mine will cruise 19mph at 3800-4000RPM (and won't use any more fuel than a 50 HP will use to go the same speed) and mine will go WOT at 25mph 5400RPM. I wouldn't go any higher than the 90 (or heavier at 315#) on the "M" but wouldn't go any lower either. So I do whatever floats my boat (pun intended) and what floats mine is a 90hp Tohatsu. It provides no problems on the sailing performance side whatsoever and provides pure boating pleasure on the motoring side. So ask yourself, if a person wants a dual purpose boat then why should they undersize the motor at 50 hp? There are a lot of people that post on this board and other boards with the X and M boats that are not happy and think they are under powered with their 50HP motors. But no one that I know of that has gone with a higher hp motor on the M or X is dissatisfied with the results on motoring or on sailing performance. And those other entire mumbo-jumbo postings are just exactly that - mumbo-jumbo. And the quantity of the mumbo in those contrary posts far out weighs the jumbo. Jenni, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Unfortunately you'll probably be washed overboard by the volume of consenting opinion that will come forth from my man "YY". He'll included at least another 25 (meaningless) points and about dozen (meaningless) links to support his goal of browbeating every potential Mac X and M customer into conforming to his likes and dislikes. Or excuse me, he only has one like and that's the 50hp outboard. I think perhaps he made the mistake of getting that size motor (50hp) and it may be that now he is embarrassed to admit he made a mistake so he doesn't want anyone having any more fun then he has with his under-powered sewing machine of an engine. But then I'm only speculating, I mean why else would someone be so possessed about this subject? Kind Regards, JonBill

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
settle down

Guys: All of use here on this forum seem to love our boats and sailing. So why pick on each other - enjoy your boat - and GIVE THIS THREAD A REST - please.

J

JonBill

You Yours choice of words, not mine!

Just so everybody knows, this was written as a reply to the post that YouYours made above titled Re: ‘Big Engine’ and 'mama's. But he deleted his post and reposted it after mine so that everybody who reads these things would think his was a reply to mine instead of the other way around. What a piece of work (lol)!!! So you have to ask yourself, would you trust the advice of someone who would do that sort of thing? You Yours, I assumed from your earlier rantings that you were limited and somewhat challenged on the finer things in life including the arts (and other more practical things in life like adequately sized outboard motors), but had no idea that your appreciation for the things of class was quite that low. But then I really didn't expect for you to have any appreciate for the finer arts and you've confirmed that. Yes I still visit my mother on a regular basis and call her every chance I get as she won't be with us forever and is getting up there in age. She is quite healthy though and still very active which is a blessing. You see straight people love their mothers too. Sorry friend but I'm a man-of-one-wife with kids and grandkids and don't run or play in the same circles that you may. Although we covered that a few years back in the subject of another post if you'll recall when I told you at that time that I didn't understand your use of 'gay' slang. That is not meant as a criticism of any kind but just an observation that it keeps reappearing in your choice of words, not mine. Kind Regards, JonBill

J

JonBill

YoYo, we straight people love our mothers too.

YoYo, Just so you know, we straight people love our Mothers too. Kind Regards, JonBill

S

sardo

It happens down the road

Seems like not long after you are down the road, both kids in the back seat begin fussing and you have to stop the car and crack them both across the head, legs or anywhere you can reach within reason. That is,,, to keep the car on the road and not in the ditch. You Yours ... JonBill!!!! Don't make me stop this car!

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Enough!

Once was enough! Repetition of bad behavior isn't going to win many converts. How about giving this (and everyone else) a rest, and let's have some discussion of some useful sailing topics, without all the rabid hostility.

Status
Not open for further replies.