Outboard mayhem !

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
There are several posts relating to "what is the best outboard brand for a Catalina 22 ?". But to add a twist, I'm not overly sensitive to the brand name of the motive device on the blunt end of the boat.
The question is "4 Stroke vs 2 Stroke". We have a 2 Stroke Mercury 9.9 on the rear end. It does OK, is a bit noisy and guzzles fuel like I (used to) down 'chilled Hop soup'. But it costs me nothing but fuel costs. Vintage unknown (late 80's to early 90's ??). Came with the boat.
Looking to update. Probably a 6hp - 6.5hp. Does anyone have a strong opinion of 2 vs 4 Strokes. I want to have electric start and alternator to recharge the batteries - must haves. Not going to consider Propane. Electric is an outsider but suspect not enough grunt.
FYI, we use our motor a lot, especially in those annoying mid-Summer days when the wind disappears for days. We end up just motoring for fun to secluded spots to anchor up and dive in or use our SUPs and kayaks (we tow them behind the C-22 on such days). So need grunt for that. Also, we have (on occasion) brazenly battled 30 kt winds on the bow motoring to get back to marina from (what was) a great day out till the unexpected pop-up storm appeared. Hatches dogged, skipper hunched in cockpit while crew cowered below playing cards !! So the get out of dodge on "holy s**t', why are we out here?" days would be useful.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Can you still buy 2-stroke? I thought every one had gone 4-stroke to save the environment. Haven't seen a 2-stroke in the store in a long time.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I am a big fan of the 4 stroke. Its quiet, I can pick up non ethanol gas at my local station on the way to the lake, and maintenance is minor. I have the Merc 5hp and it seems to do just fine for me thus far. If I had it to do over I would opt for the sail pro with the charging system. If memory serves there was a lot of talk on the electric start and I think you need at least a 9hp to get that which also requires strengthening or upgrading your motor mount.

If you are going to go new I think 4 stroke is the way to go. No more worries over mixing the fuel incorrectly and you can burn up the leftovers at the end of the season in your snow blower or lawn mower. I used to love 2 strokes but now owning the 4 stroke i would not want to go back.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Milton...the consensus here has been Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke by far for a c22 and supposedly stingy on fuel (see Gene's post to the Tortugas. think he carried 12 gal?)...guy at the club has one with electric start (no clue of the hp), I was envious...
many others more knowledgeable than me will chime in...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Yah, 4 stroke.
Just pour your unused tank into the vehicle at the end of your excursion.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Tohatsu 4 stroke
Add extra slot to motormount (1).JPG
sail pro 6 hp with long shaft and remote tank, has alternator for charging and shifter is on front. Literally sips gas too.
Get it fitted with the engine flush connector on front too, just attach garden hose and flush without those annoying flapper clips.

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Cheers guys. Good feedback. Mercury's site does not show a 2-stroke and electric start only on 8 and 9.9 models. I would prefer a 4 stroke to avoid fuel mixing issues, and the reduction in decibels. Some sites suggest they can run on 10% Ethanol. Not sure on that but it would be a good option. Tohatsu have some issues going by some threads but would still look at one (and their warranty verbiage). I believe that they manufacture the smaller Mercury units anyway so saving money is always good.
Q1 : can the 6hp units be fitted with an electric start ? Anyone heard of this as an aftermarket option ? I am thinking more of the First Mate (daughter and/or wife) with pull starts.
Q2 : Has anyone fitted these with a remote throttle unit ? (do they exist ?). The possibility of "maintaining all arms and hands inside the vessel at all times" for docking, maneuvering etc is a concept I support.
Q3 : Anyone running the 25" extra-long shaft ? I think a 20" is ok on a C22, but...
Q4 : CDI - fancy name for electronic ignition but still uses a pull start ? My assumption is that this advancement in technology reduces fatigue and medical issues from yanking on a pull cord multiple times. Only used my manual back-up twice last year on the current Mercury 9.9 with electric push button start. Love(d) that convenience.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I have the Tohatsu 6 hp 25" on my O'Day 25 and love it compared to the old 2 stroke. I gave up electric start, but the pull start is super easy, usually 2-3 pulls max. Run ethanol free gas and run it dry ever time when you are done for the day / trip and you will have very few problems. I highly recommend teaching the mates to start it, my daughter, 12, is comfortable with the procedure and my wife is getting better. I've had 2 6 hp models this one on my O'Day and another on my flat bottom jon boat, both run great with no issues.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
That old 2 stroke Merc. was one of the more powerful 10 hp on the market at that time. Generally, hp to hp, you lose some top end speed, gain some low end torque, and add to the weigh of the motor when going to a 4 stroke from a 2 stroke. If you want that margin of power and your 10 hp has it, I would not go much smaller. Also, many 8hp motors are almost the same size and weight as the 10s.
I went from a 9.9 hp 4 stroke Honda to a 6 hp Suzuki 2 stroke on my Oday 222. Both pushed the boat to hull speed but the 9.9 at less than 1/2 throttle and the Suzuki at full. The Honda at full throttle would get about .2 of a mph more. The Suzuki burns a little more gas, has a buzzier sound-feel to it than the Honda. The Suzuki weights about 65 lbs and the Honda 110 lbs. (on my bathroom scale).

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Some sites suggest they can run on 10% Ethanol. Not sure on that but it would be a good option.
Gray-area advertising. ;)

Any small engine "can" run on E10. It's just not optimal. If ethanol free gas is available, it is always more than worth the price difference.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
@Jacktar do you remember what brand the motor mount is and do you like it? I’d like to remount my merc 9.9 on one, but those rated for the four stroke jump the price from < $100 to over $300. At that much money it goes way down on the priority list.

In the picture it looks like you added a setting. What was the basis for that?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
As far as the Tohatsu 6 hp - mine actually started on a 3/4 first pull, right out of the shipping crate. I'd say a youngster could probably manage it. I've been lucky so far.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Sometimes, before actually trying to start our Tohatsu, I give it one long, slow pull just to prime it. More than once, that long slow-motion pull has actually started the engine! Despite this, my wife did have difficulty with it at first. I can't explain why. But she has no trouble with it now.

I do have one or two complaints with the Tohatsu Sailpro, but starting is not one of them. Once primed, it generally starts on the very first pull, even after many weeks of disuse. This characteristic covers a multitude of sins, in my book. After all, what could be more important than will the thing will START? Everything else is a distant second.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
@Jacktar do you remember what brand the motor mount is and do you like it? I’d like to remount my merc 9.9 on one, but those rated for the four stroke jump the price from < $100 to over $300. At that much money it goes way down on the priority list.

In the picture it looks like you added a setting. What was the basis for that?

Thanks in advance.
Jacktar & others, similar question, moving from 2 stroke 4.5hp to the Tohatsu 6hp sailpro....the original mount (84 model) is fine but concerned of the added weight. Mine has 2 springs, dockmate has same mount but with 4 springs (89 model), so my question is what I have sufficient?, can springs be added?, etc. Also plan on reinforcement inside transom, only bolts and washers there now....thoughts?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Some sites suggest they can run on 10% Ethanol. Not sure on that but it would be a good option.
Please avoid 10% Ethanol. The horror stories of what Ethanol did to marine fuel systems may be in the past, but the ongoing issue is that Ethanol absorbs moisture and still raises havoc with fuel systems, especially those with carburetors. Now that Ethanol free fuel is available in most places, it is the way to go for marine engines. We use it on all our gas engines on the farm, and it helps keep them running reliably.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
My motor mount was the original garelick on the boat when I got it from the PO. He had a 85 mercury on it which was the original outboard on the 83. It was 2 stroke and I had no problem putting the sail pro on it. The reason for the intermediate notch I created was that in the upper notch the 25" sits just in the water enough to operate and pump cooling water through it but the lowest notch actually put the bottom edge of the motor mount board at water level which caused drag and prop was way too low at that position. Rather than remount the whole motor mount to accommodate the longer shaft engine I just cut a pair of intermediate notches to put the engine in with prop far enough down not to cavitate when I went forward or when waves or wakes were excessive. No racing and surging then when operating in even extraordinary conditions.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
How hard was it cutting those new notches in the motor mount Jacktar? I was thinking of the same thing - thinking I'd try to drill a small pilot hole, then about a 1/2" bit, then open up half of the hole to form the "U." It looks like it might be a pretty tough job though that way... you deserve a lot of credit for getting it done.