Outboard in transom cutout

Dec 27, 2013
Catalina 27 Nashville, TN
This may have been beat to death already, but I have an '83 27 Tall rig with the outboard cutout transom. Can others tell me what motors they have that fit in the cutout without modification and can tilt up. I have a Yamaha 9.9 and Mercury 8 four stroke but they both hit. I am guessing have to go 2 stroke?

Option 2 Is it easy enough, and safe structurally, to cut about 2 inches into the top of that cutout, reglass, sand and paint it? I would really like to keep at least the 9.9 as we head out in the summer with no wind just to be on the lake.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You'll have to look for a pre 90's Johnson sailmaster.... that's a 2 stoke... This motor and its sister made by Evinrude feature a very low cowling profile. I have seen transom mods to C27's that allow for the larger cowlings. Besides expanding the hole vertically, and reinforcing the transom, you must modify the stern hatch....

I can't think of any modern motors over 8hp (2 or 4 stroke) that would fit... and I wouldn't go lower than that..... what works best for the boat is a 10-15 hp electric/remote long shaft. Not extra long because of the swept back rudder.

Years ago I had that mod on my project list... because I thought it was important to lift up the motor while sailing. Not so, I found out. Just treat the motor like it's an inboard. On this boat it's more important to have an electric start and remote box.... because its design makes a tiller arm very inconvenient. I have maximum tension on the shaft brake so it won't turn, and steer Impulse aug 04 008.jpg with the boat's rudder.
I sail with it down, in the water, in neutral. No issues. When I store it....I disconnect the fuel line and shift cable. run the gas out, remove the cowling and tilt the motor up... it fits neatly inside the transom... then cover it with a canvas hood.... which you can buy ready made for around $40.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
Great advice Joe. I just added a 9.9 yamaha which had the smallest power head I could find and it is about 1.5" too high. So far I've just left it down assuming it's no worse then a saildrive. I'll have to try removing the cowl and putting it all the way up. I'm kind of reluctant to modify the fiberglass so that is a great compromise.

There is a Catalina 27 in my marina with a 4.5 horse Yamaha and they get in and out of the marina fine with it. but I would hate to try to fight the tides int he San Juan Islands with that little power.

The previous motor in my boat was a Evinrude sailmaster and it it worked but and fit nicely but the one I had wouldn't idle reliably when hot and I wanted the reliability and economy of a more modern

danvon

Dec 18, 2014
Catalina 27 Seattle
I had a 1996 Johnson 9.9 on mine. 2-stroke, and I don't think it was labeled Sailmaster. The top of the motor just BARELY scraped the top of the cutout when you tilted it up but it was not a problem. I believe that there may also be Johnson 15s that are the same motor with a different carb. If so consider it. I had enough power in the San Juans but not too much by any means. And I would not sell short the reliability of the old 2-strokes. I also had idle issues (it would die when, for example, heading into the locks). Totally went away when I rebuilt the carb. Other than that no issues whatsoever.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
That's the problem I had with my Evinrude 9.9. Once it got hot it would not idle down. It wouldn't idle. Made coming into a marina a hectic pain having to go from throttled up in gear to throttled up in neutral so that the engine didn't die if you needed it again.

Even with a rebuild I don't think I could have convinced the wife that it was a reliable motor. And it was thirsty, loud, and stinky.

Feb 16, 2017
Okay 25 North East Md
Joe...what do you mean "maximum tension on the shaft brake"...I have just put my boat in the water for the first time and am finding it almost impossible to use the bracket lift to get it out of the water....

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
I think he is referring to the brake that prevents the motor from steering.

Feb 16, 2017
Okay 25 North East Md
Ohhh I'm not sure my motor has such a thing...It is an old 9.9 Sailmaster...

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
My old sailmaster does. Next time I'm home I'll try to get a picture of how it worked.

Feb 16, 2017
Okay 25 North East Md
Thanks vtech I am heading to my boat today and will take a closer look as well.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Well I got a chance to look at my 9.9 Evinrude and I couldn't find anything obvious for motor steering tension. I found this article online.
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson 9.9_15.htm

Way down at the bottom he mentions how to adjust the "Motor pivot tension" but he doesn't show a picture of which screw to adjust. I think he means this one on the left hand side of the lower unit.

Attachments