outboard hoisting

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
hey all,
I have a solar arch and the outboard is on the side.
I can't use the blocks used to lift the dinghy to carry the engine because it's too far.

This is the only location that fits the motor.

I think I need to add an arm with a block and tackle to the arch .... but HOW?....

THX!!!

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm envisioning an arm coming off of the arch like this. the arm swings to help position the block and tackle and outboard. If dimensions and angles are done correctly then it could fold against it and be parallel with the tubing of the arch to minimize visibility. I've offset it in this pic to make it easier to see. I cut a bimini bow in half for my solar mount and the strength of that tubing shocked me. I tried really hard to bend it with manual leverage but I barely made a dent. I think this would be fine without additional bracing on the proposed arm. I'm guessing your outboard is under 9.9?

1710894587050.png

I can grab a few pics of the hardware I used to attach the arm to my stern rail. I basically attached two of these together. One on each tube.
1710895161886.png
1710895195625.png

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is a product that might help.
The Outboard SwingLift.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
the garhauer outboard lifts work great! ours is mounted on our stern radar mast, has a built in very clean block and tackle (6:1) and camcleat and swivels for stowage.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My H356 came with a davit to lift the dingy outboard up to its mount on the stern rail. If memory serves it rotated to not be protruding from the aft of the boat when not in use and it could be removed. In any event these things exist. No need to put on your engineer hat - unless you like that.
It was helpful to have a harness on the engine to attach to.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Some of the solutions seem overly complicated. That is until you've injured your back in some way and don't want to aggravate an existing back injury. Lifting a 40 to 80 pound motor over your head standing on an unstable platform is a really good way to do that.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
It looks like you're going to have a problem getting the arm of the hoisting davit around the upright support for the bimini. Bending the top of the davit in two directions would enable you to support the motor all the way over to the mounting board. The davit arm would need to be longer, obviously, and bent out to get the tackle over the motor, and then also curved left so it doesn't hit the upright bimini support when you swing it over to the mounting board. It will look funky, sort of like one of those warped/curved hockey sticks, but should work.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looking again at the photos, it appears you want to take the motor off after the dinghy is lifted. It will easier to take the motor off before the dinghy is lifted. Mount the lifting davit forward of the motor mount so it can swing aft.

1710943273159.png

I sent you a private message about a possible solution
Why not share it with the group?

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
I can grab a few pics of the hardware I used to attach the arm to my stern rail. I basically attached two of these together. One on each
awesome!!
outboard is 15hp.....
but I really like the concept and it's actually what I designed last night

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
awesome!!
outboard is 15hp.....
It looks like I'll be at the yard on Friday instead of today. How heavy is the outboard? What size is the tubing on the arch? I was thinking that adding a bushing or two at the clamps might be fairly easy depending on the tubing sizes

Nice SketchUp model. That outboard is impressive

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
the garhauer outboard lifts work great! ours is mounted on our stern radar mast, has a built in very clean block and tackle (6:1) and camcleat and swivels for stowage.
the problem is that their customer support is terrible.
And so is the website.
They show only one picture of the product. Low quality. No specs as far mounting.
On the phone they totally don't care.
Oh, and both time I placed an order, they call me to tell me it is out of stock....

[/QUOTE]

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Some of the solutions seem overly complicated. That is until you've injured your back in some way and don't want to aggravate an existing back injury. Lifting a 40 to 80 pound motor over your head standing on an unstable platform is a really good way to do that.
ahahah
110 lbs 15hp

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
And so is the website.
They show only one picture of the product. Low quality. No specs as far mounting.
Oh, and both time I placed an order, they call me to tell me it is out of stock....

[/QUOTE]

Garhauer is a small family run business. If they have a dozen employees I'd be surprised. They are a major supplier to Catalina, which uses their products almost exclusively. My experience with the company has been positive over the years.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Garhauer is a small family run business. If they have a dozen employees I'd be surprised. They are a major supplier to Catalina, which uses their products almost exclusively. My experience with the company has been positive over the years.
[/QUOTE]
I just worked with a small family run business who had pictures and description of their products. Who were knowledgeable on the phone. They just happen to be lucky with Catalina. Good for them.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
And so is the website.

[/QUOTE]
It appears you've only been participating here for a few years so you have no idea how many garhaurer fans we have on this forum, active members and lurkers. I'm sorry you had a negative experience. My experience with them covers the last 25 years and I can say that besides the excellent quality and pricing, they have always treated me right. No problem customizing or modifying a product to make it work for your boat. They do miss Guido....their long time product and customers service guy who died a few years ago... but for those of us who understand the difficulty of any marine supplier staying afloat :)cool:)they get our respect. I sincerely ask that you take it easy with the trash talking, especially with just the one incident... that's not what we're here for. Good luck, have fun, be open minded.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
I sincerely ask that you take it easy with the trash talking, especially with just the one incident... that's not what we're here for. Good luck, have fun, be open minded.
[/QUOTE]
I totally agree with you, actually. I reacted out of frustration because I just had a bad experience with them a few hours before posting.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I sincerely ask that you take it easy with the trash talking, especially with just the one incident... that's not what we're here for. Good luck, have fun, be open minded.
I totally agree with you, actually. I reacted out of frustration because I just had a bad experience with them a few hours before posting.
[/QUOTE]
:cool: That's cool.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
awesome!!
outboard is 15hp.....
I'd be doing some testing to make sure 1" tubing is up to the task of a 115lbs motor. However, if you do upgrade to a larger size or use bushings, I would take a look at using some aluminum stage lighting clamps. Search for double cheeseborough clamps.

Here's what I did for my 100w solar panel. I think the largest bolt you could fit in there is a 5/16" if you drilled out the fittings. 1/4" would easily fit but an outboard is a lot of load for a bolt that size in my opinion. If you use bimini hardware, I suggest upgrading to bolts or hex head screws as the phillips and flatheads are easy to strip. The washers are in there because I was working with what I had on hand
double clamp 2.jpeg
double clamp.jpeg