Onan Cummins 8KW Genset Issue

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanks all for your helpful tips and recommendations. A very good feeling when solving problems such as these. Hopefully, someone else will store these tips for later use when encountering problems that need solving. Just another joy of owning a boat, eh?

Now must celebrate the admiral's birthday coming up this Wednesday. Hmm. Beef stroganoff sounds good.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry. the important question does beef stroganoff sound good to the Birthday Admiral?

Wish her a happy birthday, from us.

Dec 25, 2000
Salmon dinner, it is with scalloped potatoes, green salad, sweet corn, etc.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Go big or sleep on the couch.
I used to go to Barbeque places on Mother's day because they were empty....

Dec 25, 2000
So, baked salmon, baked potato, fruit salad, string beans and a dark chocolate raspberry cake for dessert. Managed to escape the dog house by the skin of my teeth.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now you sound like a happy dog. No dog house for you!

Dec 25, 2000
Went to Harbor Marine yesterday with the new seawater pump impeller that they sold me in 2013 that did not work. I went to pickup the new impeller that I will use as a spare. After comparing the 2013 impeller with the new one, the tech commented that although the same size, the 2013 was an aftermarket brand, not Onan original. Even though the 2013 carried the same part number Harbor Marine at the time sold me a product that did not work even though of similar size. The 2013 was made from different material (blue) versus the Onan original (black). Apparently the blue material is designed to run dry and upon closer inspection a very slight difference in vane width; just enough to prevent the pump from bringing in seawater. Also, 2013 sleeve bearing that is molded into the impeller material was narrower than the Onan original.

A lesson learned from this little fiasco not to trust after market products, especially from questionable sources. When I asked whether they would give me a price adjustment, he said no, as I had no original receipt. Bummer.

Dec 25, 2000
Still waiting for the Cummins tech to show up and solve the problem. Apparently a very busy time of the year for them, according to their dispatcher. Since they charge portal to portal, he is trying to schedule two or more jobs for our marina. I appreciate his consideration. Hopefully, he will have it fixed before Christmas. Meanwhile, ...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Just helped my friend with a NL generator. Had him take the cover off the water pump and start. No shaft turned. Nut inside had backed off and he nearly lost it all inside. Had another pump so alls good.

Dec 25, 2000
hey, Hey, HEY. Anacortes Cummins tech, Vince, finally showed up yesterday afternoon after waiting almost a month to find out why the Genset would start but not run for more than a few minutes. As I suspected it was the wire connection between the lift pump and the engine. He had a new pump with him, but told me that the new one was different than the original and would have required some fuel line re-plumbing work in order for it to work. As it turned out it was a broken plastic am-phenol connector, not where the wire enters the pump, but where the two conductor wire from the pump connects to the engine wire. Saved me a new pump that would have cost $90. Now it is just labor at $120/hr.

He said it ran for about 45 minute without an issue, which is very good news. When I talked to Cummins technical service back in the midwest somewhere, the guy told me back then it would be easier to replace the pump rather than replace the wire where it comes out of the pump.

A happy skipper again. Must make ready to spend some water time. A Christmas cruise in the making, maybe between Christmas and New Years would be nice. Too much going on beforehand, getting ready for Christmas and all.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all of you.

Dec 25, 2000
Drove to the boat yesterday to inspect the work done by Justin, the Anacortes Cummins tech.. Nice job, single wire spade splice. That seems to have cured what ailed the beast. Had I known that it was that simple of a problem, that was an easy fix. But at least I know that he found no other underlying issues, which was my main concern. Have not received the bill yet, but whatever amount, it was well worth the peace of mind. Let's just hope that it is somewhat less than a boat buck. It is the Christmas season, for Pete sake.

Dec 25, 2000
As I mentioned in another thread, bill arrived yesterday from Cummins Marine. Sheesh! Almost half a boat buck.Three plus hours of labor ($120 per) and a few bucks for parts. I suppose peace of mind is worth something. Hopefully, it includes warranty. Need to check on that.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We covered our genset with a sound cover, if you still have your wallet out.

.190A030D-EED2-4CE7-9336-42DCC39270E1.jpeg