On the bricks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Stu, it really depends on how much of your heart and soul you put into the boat. Did you sell it with mixed feelings or was it good riddance, I've moved on? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I could see that happening with a boat, especially if one makes a lot of customizations of their own design. Sure if it is a bone stock factory boat, no one cares, but when you customize, then it is part of you that is still in the boat.
Dave, I understand the motorhome attachment example.

For all of our boats, I have done what I considered important things, none of which would be considered "customizing." On our C22 I ran the halyards aft and installed a downhaul. On our C25, I did the same. Neither boat had jib furling. On our C34, which we've now owned for twenty years, I redid the electrical system, upgraded the blocks, installed an adjustable backstay, and a bunch of other things included, IIRC, in my profile page. I "bonded" with each boat I had, and made them better than when I originally bought them. I don't subscribe to the "it's only fiberglass and metal" school of thought. Each boat was unique and we used them for their intended purpose: The C22 was trailerable, and we did take it from SF Bay to Clear Lake for the summers; the C25 was fixed keel and allowed us to sail the SF Bay, the ocean and The Delta on our own bottom; the C34 has more amenities, and in addition to the travels on the C25, has taken us around The Farralones and all the way up here to Canada. Each boat was great for the time. I'm extremely pleased with our current boat and don't wish to have the first two back in our lives, :) because they did what we bought them to do, and bought the next ones to do "more." I put a lot of learning, heart, soul, sweat equity, skinned knuckles and better things into each of our boats. Each of them had names, knicknames and were part of the family.

I'm just questioning why anyone would jump to the conclusion that the previous owners were "heartbroken." That's all I asked. I wouldn't be, it was someone else's boat by then. Either they got a new boat or got out of boating.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Stu, you're such a softie. I know you would be heartbroken if somebody sank your C34 a mere few hours after you sell her!
Just admit it … there would be tears in your eyes! (where's a crying emoji when you need it)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A few years ago I changed marinas. And there in the marina I saw the first boat I owned, a brand new ordered from the factory 1984 Tanzer 22. It was like seeing an old heart throb complete with a few fantasies of sailing her around the bay again while chastising the current owner for not taking proper care of her. :snooty::badbad:

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I find a calendar to be absolutely essential. Tides, currents, moon phases, picking up guests or meeting friends, etc.
Sailing to a schedule is what you may be referring to.
Different things.

Why would you think that? They already sold the boat, it was being moved out of the State. Once I've sold boats, they are part of the past, albeit with good memories, but those memories are of the places I went and the folks I shared them with. I have a love affair going with the boat I have, not one I had before.
Some folks form attachments to their boats. The boat becomes a "person" in their minds. In those cases, a loss like this would indeed be heartbreaking. But who knows?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I wouldn't be, it was someone else's boat by then.
I know you would be heartbroken if somebody sank your C34 a mere few hours after you sell her!
Just admit it …
I wouldn't be and there's nothing to admit. I ask a question. You turn around and tell me how I'd feel? Golly, just another mind reader...:)

Nice emoji, though...save it for when you sell YOUR boat. :)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
there is a special motorhome out there that had my heart and soul invested in it. It was no doubt in the top 5 fastest motorhomes in the world.
What? Now there's a vision for ya'! 40 lumbering Class A bread trucks trading paint and swaying through the turns, fighting for the honor of World's Fastest Motorhome. God Bless America!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For a plethora of reasons I like it when I sell a boat and it is moved out of the area. I have fond memories of all of my former boats. But I want to see them about as much as I want to see an old girlfriend I have broken up with (Or vice versa).

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
For a plethora of reasons I like it when I sell a boat and it is moved out of the area. I have fond memories of all of my former boats. But I want to see them about as much as I want to see an old girlfriend I have broken up with (Or vice versa).
But..., if I may, the simile you choose is one with emotion....boat ownership can be very emotional...our boats have taken us on the ocean many times...and brought us back safely...success/survival is an emotional happening...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
But..., if I may, the simile you choose is one with emotion....boat ownership can be very emotional...our boats have taken us on the ocean many times...and brought us back safely...success/survival is an emotional happening...
Ok. The last time I saw my H356 I hugged it's bow and said goodbye. It was not without emotion. The last girlfriend I broke up with, there wasn't so much of a hug. If she took me out in the ocean I wouldn't have returned. Just sayin...

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
It looks like the previous owners really cared for that boat. The advertisement photos show it off really well. I can imagine how heartbroken they must be. I also wonder why the sailor didn't take the canal across the peninsula. I'm often stunned at how ignorant folks on the east coast can be regarding the geography of the Great Lakes. I often hear comments that suggest that they don't have any clue about the scope of their size or imposing nature.
Most that sail on the ocean do not appreciate how viscous the Great Lakes can be. 14ft. waves on the ocean are a fun ride. 14ft. waves in any of the Great Lakes, followed by another 14ft. wave in less than a boat length are a Gordon Lightfoot song.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
What? Now there's a vision for ya'! 40 lumbering Class A bread trucks trading paint and swaying through the turns, fighting for the honor of World's Fastest Motorhome. God Bless America!
Revcon motorhomes do not sway, no matter how hard you try. Google it if your curious.
BTY: That Top Gear episode is a classic.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The last time I saw my H356 I hugged it's bow and said goodbye. It was not without emotion.
We were in a slip in Portugal when a boat with a Brazilian flag pulled in. The moment the lines were secure the single sailor on board shouts and he hits the dock running. He's very excited about something and wants to get somewhere fast. About 100m down the dock he hits the brakes and goes flying back to his boat. He forgot something. He reach the bow, grabbed the forestay, leaned in and gave his boat a big kiss, then whipped around and was off again.
This boat was a glass and steel factory boat, but she was clearly his mistress.
Just saying.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A buddy of mine few out to take a look. Same guy who took the owner out the next day to try and save her. Demasted and looks like the bottom has been chewed up.
44369401_275789696398920_8856622460166995968_n.jpg

44271281_286280655551553_1505203771720859648_n.jpg

44404762_164644427811848_1784107149647937536_n.jpg

44392209_280452552595872_6569161606037504000_n.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sure is a pretty coastline... sad to get too close to it!
Old saying but so very true:

'A boat protects the man from the sea. A man protects the boat from the shore'

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
sad to get too close to it!
Yes a beautiful sailing area. The perils of getting caught on a Lee Shore are punishing. Sure glad he made it safely home. Sad he had to abandon his boat.

Clay, any info on it's removal or the removal of contaminates before winter shuts down access?