On the bricks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Catalina 42 Mk II?
Lines don't look like it, and the spreader is single, not double and not swept back. The C42 also has a single offset backstay, this boat seems to have two. Don't think so.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I just spoke to the fisherman that brought the owner back to the boat the next day to attempt a salvage. When they got there the keel and rudder were off and the boat was full of water and sitting on the bottom. Pumps could make no gain. Said the owner said he 'lost track of where he was'. No insurance. Just bought the boat in Duluth and against recommendations to not depart (for Delaware) he left. On the bricks less than 24 hours later.
So sad.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Salvors sent from Bayfield WI (140nm) to the boat. Found keel and rudder broken off. Ordered to pump out all liquids and secure to shore. That location is totally exposed to the open lake. Its going to be fiberglass dust before the real witches show up in November. Right now blowing NE 33kts gusting 40kts. 14 foot wave height every 7 seconds.

View attachment 157267

View attachment 157268
I guess you guys think I am over emotional or sentimental, but to me that is heartbreaking....to see a boat wrecked due to simple negligence....

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
No insurance. Just bought the boat in Duluth and against recommendations to not depart (for Delaware) he left.
Lets add it up:
  1. New to the boat.
  2. No local knowledge.
  3. No situational awareness.
  4. Single handing at night.
  5. No EPIRB
  6. No insurance.
  7. $100,000 loss plus salvage fees.
  8. He's alive, didn't lose any crew.
Score: Very expensive lesson, no loss record. Next time if he takes the time to get insurance he can use lender's money!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Lets add it up:
  1. New to the boat.
  2. No local knowledge.
  3. No situational awareness.
  4. Single handing at night.
  5. No EPIRB
  6. No insurance.
  7. $100,000 loss plus salvage fees.
  8. He's alive, didn't lose any crew.
Score: Very expensive lesson, no loss record. Next time if he takes the time to get insurance he can use lender's money!
Pretty much the deal. I’m guessing he was jamming to make the Erie Canal, which closed to entries today. The incident happened 10 days ago. He needed to hustle but probably would have made it. That’s probably why he ignored the advice to wait for a better weather window.

In Bayfield we call Lake Superior ‘The Boss’. You always listen to The Boss.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
sailing to a schedule.....

why not winter it local, then start your season with a nice trip? I am looking at boats and will be doing the same if I score a different boat.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Pretty much the deal. I’m guessing he was jamming to make the Erie Canal, which closed to entries today. The incident happened 10 days ago. He needed to hustle but probably would have made it. That’s probably why he ignored the advice to wait for a better weather window.

Somebody should write a song about it. Paging Gordon Lightfoot to the courtesy phone....

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

In the past the canal system was opened until early to mid November. Not any more. If you are planning a trip down the canal be forewarned.

Administration of the canal has been a hot potato over the past few decades. For years it was run by its own authority, the NY State Canal Corporation. It was losing money as the amount of commercial shipping on the canal declined, so it was passed off to the NY State Thruway Authority in 1992. In the first year of its operation the canal and rivers associated with it suffered massive flooding. At the time I was living on Oneida Lake which is part of the system and we had several feet of water in our back yard. Fortunately the house was built well above the flood plain.

The latest change happened a couple of years ago when the responsibility was shifted to the NY State Power Authority. I'm not certain about the logic of that move, I suppose it was related to the number of dams and generating stations along the canal. The new management seems to have taken a less accommodating attitude towards boaters in the form of a shorter season and shorter hours.

At least the Thruway Authority knew about transportation.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
sailing to a schedule.....

why not winter it local, then start your season with a nice trip? I am looking at boats and will be doing the same if I score a different boat.
It probably seemed like a workable plan at the time. An adventure. And who wants to spend 6 months apart from your new toy? But as you note any forced scheduling is a recipe for disaster. Being an east coast guy I just hope he didn’t underestimate what Superior can throw at you when she’s angry. She can be down right vicious, and locals advised him to wait.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Could have just thrown in another 5 or 6 boat-bucks and had the boat trucked to Delaware, safe and sound. Lots of bad judgment on display here.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It looks like the previous owners really cared for that boat. The advertisement photos show it off really well. I can imagine how heartbroken they must be. I also wonder why the sailor didn't take the canal across the peninsula. I'm often stunned at how ignorant folks on the east coast can be regarding the geography of the Great Lakes. I often hear comments that suggest that they don't have any clue about the scope of their size or imposing nature.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
It looks like the previous owners really cared for that boat. The advertisement photos show it off really well. I can imagine how heartbroken they must be. I also wonder why the sailor didn't take the canal across the peninsula. I'm often stunned at how ignorant folks on the east coast can be regarding the geography of the Great Lakes. I often hear comments that suggest that they don't have any clue about the scope of their size or imposing nature.
Hey, Lake Michigan is only an inch long on the map and Superior is an 1.25" long and 1" tall, go figure they are just puny bodies of fresh water.........

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
As has been said many times on this forum, "The most dangerous device on a sailboat is a calendar".
I find a calendar to be absolutely essential. Tides, currents, moon phases, picking up guests or meeting friends, etc.
Sailing to a schedule is what you may be referring to.
Different things.
It looks like the previous owners really cared for that boat. ... I can imagine how heartbroken they must be.
Why would you think that? They already sold the boat, it was being moved out of the State. Once I've sold boats, they are part of the past, albeit with good memories, but those memories are of the places I went and the folks I shared them with. I have a love affair going with the boat I have, not one I had before.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Stu, it really depends on how much of your heart and soul you put into the boat. Did you sell it with mixed feelings or was it good riddance, I've moved on? While cars and boats I have sold, I do not miss, there is a special motorhome out there that had my heart and soul invested in it. It was no doubt in the top 5 fastest motorhomes in the world. As such, I keep in touch with the current owner and still assist with tech support. Why? because part of me and my design went into making it what it was. So part of me is still out there rumbling around the countryside. I could see that happening with a boat, especially if one makes a lot of customizations of their own design. Sure if it is a bone stock factory boat, no one cares, but when you customize, then it is part of you that is still in the boat.