Old Man Going West!!

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
So, Im planning our big post retirement road trip for this summer. Sept. 12 we are driving Baltimore to Jackson Hole. Eventually going to meet up with friends in Custer S.D. for a big Bison roundup they have every year. Before meeting them , we are going north from Jackson to Yellowstone, then out the east gate to Cody, then Custer. I know end of Sept. is pushing the season but Im looking for a sailing rental one of the lakes up there. Rented Catalina 22 on Dillon Lake in Colorado 2 years ago, loved it, hope to do so again this trip. Start talking,Cowboys!!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Sailing in South Dakota
Apparently, Lewis and Clark Lake is an active sailing lake.

"250 sailboats are docked at Lewis and Clark Lake in Yankton."

"South Dakotans also sail the waters of Lake Oahe, the Missouri at Platte and several Black Hills Lakes."

Looks like there will be a number of good opportunities to sail. I'm sorry I can't recommend anything specific. Have fun.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Morning Dave.
In typical retiree fashion, the saying in for a penny in for a pound should be a motto you use. Why not add Montana to your travel plans. It really is not that much further. And you have already initiated the route of a famous explorer, Teddy Roosevelt.
Just north of Missoula MO is Flathead Lake.
It is a beautiful place. Great sailing, fishing, camping etc.

Who knows about the weather in September. And as a bonus you can start your return journey, to the East, with a drive through Glacier National Park. Heading east you drop out of magnificent GRAND mountains that can take your breath away onto a grassland plain that stretch’s to the horizon. The phrase Big Sky Country is real and in Montana.
Will only add 25 hrs driving to the trip and a couple of days splendor.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I agree with jsssailem, stayed in Whitefish Montana last summer and drove through Glacier National Park. It is magnificent and a must if you are willing and up to the extra driving.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm sure you've done some searches on google and come up empty. I suspect that that you will find absolutely nothing in terms of sailboat rentals in Wyoming and Montana, and the day after Labor Day would be the death of any chance. In that climate, the end of summer comes very quickly and the service industries close up shop and hibernate the day after Labor Day for water-based activities. Summer may technically end on September 21, but the weather doesn't agree in those parts. My daughter sails on Hebgen Lake, in SW Montana. Her boat is stored for the winter by the 1st of September. From my observations, the only way to sail Jackson Lake, Yellowstone Lake, or virtually any other lake in those parts would be by trailering your own boat. I'm sure Flathead Lake has a larger sailing community, but I suspect it is slumbering in September!

Jul 13, 2010
Agree with you Scott, not finding much at all. Likely I'll find it too cold for me by the time I get there anyway. First trip there so not familiar with conditions that time of year.

Oct 26, 2008
Get along little doggie?
Technically, I think its dogies , but I'm going to believe that it is spell check that doesn't let you get it right (I had the same problem until I added the s). In any case, my research led me to this little gem!

Yippie ti yi yo get along little dogies,
it's your misfortune and none of my own,
yippie ti yi yo get along little dogies,
you know that Wyoming will be your new home

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Agree with you Scott, not finding much at all. Likely I'll find it too cold for me by the time I get there anyway. First trip there so not familiar with conditions that time of year.
Regardless, have a great trip! I've wanted to visit the Little Bighorn Battlefield and perhaps I would make a similar trip in a few years.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have a friend who sails a J24 on Flathead lake in what seem like an active fleet. I can ask him about seasonality if necessary.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice idea @shemandr I sailed on the lake I’m August a couple of years ago. Had great fun. Beautiful country.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
We did an 11 lake safari, around the west, a couple of years ago sailing 3 days on Jackson Lake and 4 days on Yellowstone Lake around the last week of August. Weather was nice 60 & 70 degrees but the locals thought it was warmer than normal. The only other sailboat we saw was at a gas station passing through, headed south. The locals say anything can happen in Sept. so take your tire chains. Also a lot of services close after Labor Day. Both National Parks have great web pages with closing schedules for lodges and CG.

Jul 13, 2010
Thanks everyone, gonna have to back burner this till next week. MIL passed away yesterday am. Not unexpected but still throws you upside down when it comes. Will get back to work on this next week.

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
I'll have to respectfully disagree with respect to Flathead Lake. It's awesome in September, albeit a bit chilly morning and evenings. I usually put in near Big Arm, and putter around Wild Horse Island.