Old Failing Raymarine Electronics

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Have a C120. Sometimes the unit get switched by accident to Night Mode while in Daylight. What you get is what you described, a nearly dark screen. Switch it back to Day Mode and it will be fine. First time this happened I returned to my slip and after investigating discovered that I only had to press a couple of buttons to restore to normal. Just a possibility.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I think it was this thread earlier, but Bacons/Annapolis earlier had 2 or 3 C80, some with all additions. I'm on my second C80. the first having failed as yours did. Keep us posted on your replair, please.
Will do.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Have a C120. Sometimes the unit get switched by accident to Night Mode while in Daylight. What you get is what you described, a nearly dark screen. Switch it back to Day Mode and it will be fine. First time this happened I returned to my slip and after investigating discovered that I only had to press a couple of buttons to restore to normal. Just a possibility.
I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on with it, as it's happening on power-up and there are absolutely no features on the screen: just a faint glow. We actually had the display fail many years ago, when Raymarine was still willing to repair them. This is similar. Anyway, the unit is off for a vacation in Miami now. I'm hoping to see it back late next week.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I think it was this thread earlier, but Bacons/Annapolis earlier had 2 or 3 C80, some with all additions. I'm on my second C80. the first having failed as yours did. Keep us posted on your replair, please.
So here's the C80 report. I sent it off to Seawire Marine on Monday, June 1. They received it mid-day on June 3. They repaired it on Monday, June 8 for $300 + $35 shipping, and shipped it back to me by UPS ground. I received it Thursday, June 11th in late afternoon, and today I plugged it back in to the boat. Everything works as new. It even remembered my old waypoints (for whatever reasons: not claiming this is unusual). So basically, I paid $50 for 2-day UPS to get it down there quickly, and $335 to get it fixed ("Raymarine Classic Image Repair w/Software Update" and 1 year warrantee) and shipped back. I'm very happy with this repair: much better than 1-2K for a new plotter plus installation. I'm not aware of another place in the US that does this type of repair, but if any of you are, please chime in and let us know. In any case, I can strongly recommend Seawire for Raymarine repairs.