old boat needs metal holder to step mast into

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Now we got this!

Clean up the rotten wood etc. where the mast would rest on the floor of the hull. Then get a block of wood and mark out the curve of the bottom and rought it out then shape it with a belt sander to fit the curve. Notch it so your mast sits in the base. Then put an eye strap on the block to line up with the hole for the pin to hold the mast down and then epoxy the block to the hull.

If you have never marked out a curved surface before, an easy way to get your marks is to use an olds school compass (geometry not navigation)
1661369652727.png

Then lay the block of wood where you want it to sit and using the compass, lay the pointy end on the floor and mark the location on the block... like this

1661369709642.png

then shape the wood to the marks and you have your curve. You only need to get the curve about 90% right and then use thickened epoxy to fill in any voids.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yup. Looks like the original mast step/pad is there but seriously rotted away. You can see the outline of the square area where the mast would sit.

Once a new one is made, I would encase it in epoxy and fibreglass.

Aug 20, 2022
do not know 17ft west orange NJ
I've been wrong enough today but is it possible that the nipple fits into the rectangular opening in the deck?
If there is standing rigging that would probably be adequate as a mast step. Setting a 24' mast in there would be a bit wonky. You may want to add a tabernacle.
A Lightning is 19'. This boat is 17'. The Lightning has a 24' P and the boat in question has a total mast length of 24' (As reported by OP). Maybe it's a smaller knockoff done by another designer. They do look pretty much alike. In the picture above I think there are drains in the transom.

Aug 20, 2022
Yup. Looks like the original mast step/pad is there but seriously rotted away. You can see the outline of the square area where the mast would sit.

Once a new one is made, I would encase it in epoxy and fibreglass.
It will be a real challenge to get in there and do that. If you look at pics of boat I sent originally there's no room for manuevering. I had to slip my arm in and take the pics with my phone without seeing what I was doing. Getting some good ideas tho so thank you!

Aug 20, 2022
Hi guys. I have been out with various health issues. Still recovering but able to converse here again with you helpful folks!
When able to crawl in the bow I will thoroughly clean the hole out, measure and take measurements to metal fitter along with pic and measurements of the mast end. They should be able to make a sort of tabernacle, hopefully.
If I am not able to crawl in there will have to take it to a boatyard somewhere. $$$ I'm in West Orange, NJ.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
They should be able to make a sort of tabernacle, hopefully.
Based on the rotten wood
The original setup looks like it was just wood cut so that the bottom mast casting fit in it.

If a metal step won't work, wood+fibreglass.or just fibreglass would work. I would see if there is local guy who does fiberglass work, as opposed to a full blown boatyard.
There are many small, one person outfits who do boat repairs here. I would assume that most of NJ is similar? Ask the local boaters.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Aug 20, 2022
Based on the rotten wood
The original setup looks like it was just wood cut so that the bottom mast casting fit in it.

If a metal step won't work, wood+fibreglass.or just fibreglass would work. I would see if there is local guy who does fiberglass work, as opposed to a full blown boatyard.
There are many small, one person outfits who do boat repairs here. I would assume that most of NJ is similar? Ask the local boaters.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Thanks Lee. Still can't get in the boat yet, torn ankle ligament but I'll start making some phone calls. Used to belong to USPS and still have contacts. CYA