old boat needs metal holder to step mast into

Aug 20, 2022
do not know 17ft west orange NJ
Don't have model or brand of boat so can't order the part. Boat is @17ft. Cand upload photos to help figure this out.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Photos? Manual? Prepare a drawing with dimensions and hole to bolt to the mast and go to a stainless steel fabricator OR rigger to have one made.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Don't have model or brand of boat so can't order the part. Boat is @17ft. Cand upload photos to help figure this out.
The make and model should be on the title, registration or coast guard documentation for the boat.

Also, The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a 12- or 14-character serial number that uniquely identifies a boat. The HIN is analogous to a VIN on a car. All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972, must bear a HIN, and this HIN must be identified during boat registration.

I hope this helps.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is this what you are talking about?

1661094760386.png

If so, the search term is "tabernackle". Do a google on sailboat tabernackle.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Cand upload photos to help figure this out.
Please do upload photos. Your description is horrible and there are a huge number of 17ft boats.

You could also go to sailboat data.com and look at the 17ft boats there, and see if they match up.

Even if you know the boat make and model, there is a big chance the part is no longer made. Then you end up finding old stock or used parts.

as @rgranger says, what you are possibly talking about is either called a tabernacle or a mast step depending on design.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you post a picture of the boat from several angles someone on the forum may know it.
Also, since it's a 17' boat I'd guess you are looking at a tabernacle (To raise the mast at a boat ramp). The mast may have marking to ID the manufacturer which is of as much interest as the builder of the boat.
Lastly you can draw or trace the footprint of the mast and either find a tabernacle that will work or have one fabricated.

Aug 20, 2022
The make and model should be on the title, registration or coast guard documentation for the boat.

Also, The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a 12- or 14-character serial number that uniquely identifies a boat. The HIN is analogous to a VIN on a car. All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972, must bear a HIN, and this HIN must be identified during boat registration.

I hope this helps.
As I said, there is NO way to identify this boat. It was donated then given to me. No title, no registration. I've crawled around every inch of this boat and sails. Thanks anyway.

Aug 20, 2022
If you post a picture of the boat from several angles someone on the forum may know it.
Also, since it's a 17' boat I'd guess you are looking at a tabernacle (To raise the mast at a boat ramp). The mast may have marking to ID the manufacturer which is of as much interest as the builder of the boat.
Lastly you can draw or trace the footprint of the mast and either find a tabernacle that will work or have one fabricated.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Not knowing anything of the boat it is difficult to guess what the original was, here's a picture of one for a Capri 16.5 as an example of a very simple design, others can be more complex.
1661040042823.png
1661040042823.png

Aug 20, 2022
Not knowing anything of the boat it is difficult to guess what the original was, here's a picture of one for a Capri 16.5 as an example of a very simple design, others can be more complex.
View attachment 208547View attachment 208547
Yes, the boat had one of those but somehow in transit from Mass. it got lost. My cousin transported the boat to me. He says he does not know where it went.

Jan 19, 2010
Actually I think you have a more traditional setup. It looks to me like you have a wooden square mast that fits in this hole
1661101665663.png

... and your deck serves as the mast partners. Is there a receiver "box" at the bottom of that hole? Also it may be possible that you had an unstayed mast for this boat (that would be kind of cool). Do you see chainplates for the shrouds or stays?

Jan 19, 2010
I have zoomed in on your pics and I don't see any sign that you had a tabernackle through bolted on your deck. I'm sticking with my guess that the mast fits through that hole and is secured by a receptacle at the base of the mast.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
As I said, there is NO way to identify this boat. It was donated then given to me. No title, no registration. I've crawled around every inch of this boat and sails. Thanks anyway.
The amount of times you see newbies show up in forums, and say that... when trying to identify their mystery boat.. And then eventually finding that there Is a number or something someplace, is exactly why people ask.

That said, that boat looks homemade, and will likely require using "whatever fits" or making something, like the original builder did.

Aug 20, 2022
I have zoomed in on your pics and I don't see any sign that you had a tabernackle through bolted on your deck. I'm sticking with my guess that the mast fits through that hole and is secured by a receptacle at the base of the mast.
No I do not. The 24 ft aluminum mast goes through the hull and into a hole on bottom of boat. There ARE clips to secure it around the hole and the mast has a "nipple" that seemingly would fit into a metal receptor.
The amount of times you see newbies show up in forums, and say that... when trying to identify their mystery boat.. And then eventually finding that there Is a number or something someplace, is exactly why people ask.

That said, that boat looks homemade, and will likely require using "whatever fits" or making something, like the original builder did.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've been wrong enough today but is it possible that the nipple fits into the rectangular opening in the deck?
If there is standing rigging that would probably be adequate as a mast step. Setting a 24' mast in there would be a bit wonky. You may want to add a tabernacle.
A Lightning is 19'. This boat is 17'. The Lightning has a 24' P and the boat in question has a total mast length of 24' (As reported by OP). Maybe it's a smaller knockoff done by another designer. They do look pretty much alike. In the picture above I think there are drains in the transom.