OK I did it, took the "Free Boat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Hinterholler Shark 24 Greenhaven, CT
Come on guys, yes I did a "Boat Budget" list. Fortunately sails were covered. I raised them the other day and they are still in good condition. My Shark 24 was in similar condition when I rescued her. I know that this is a much bigger boat with bigger problems. I still sail the Shark 20+yrs later so I don't have to hurry on the Irwin. She'll be back!

Vic H.

WOW. Do you have a HazMat suit????

Huge boat karma points if you pull this off. But some level headed advice. Before you start, do a complete inventory of what needs to be done, in both time and cost. No way around it, this will be hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars. Then figure out how to proceed. There is an old saying, 'There is NO such thing as a free boat.' Very true here. Figure out what makes sense.

Sails on the boom and and stay for 8 years? Ruined. Mildew and rotted for sure.

If you carry on, we're all rooting for you...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Come on guys, yes I did a "Boat Budget" list. Fortunately sails were covered. I raised them the other day and they are still in good condition. My Shark 24 was in similar condition when I rescued her. I know that this is a much bigger boat with bigger problems. I still sail the Shark 20+yrs later so I don't have to hurry on the Irwin. She'll be back!

Vic H.
Like I said, we'll all be watching and rooting!

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
In business you learn you do not take one giant step to reach a goal, but small manageable steps.

One way to get the boat of your dreams may not be to completely refurbish this boat. Do some small things to make it better, and sell. Take that money and invest that in a better boat. Do small improvements to that boat also, and flip that also. Flip, flip, flip, till you get what you want. Done correctly, the end boat of your dreams may cost little or nothing.

My opinion of what I see is it well be more labor and time and money than is rationally possible to make it really nice again. Some sailors want a place to stow gear and they just day sail in the cockpit. This may be just such a boat. To do that, you gut down to what is good and sound, and paint everything that is quality, leaving a bare clean empty cabin. Put her up for sale as you sail. When it sells as a fixer upper, move up to the next project.

Just an idea. Being in all that mold could kill you. Get that killed off before you breathe the fumes inside. No good spoiling your health over a free boat. Get that max ozone blaster. Best 400 bucks you will ever spend. Duct tape it in an open window or opening and let it run for a week. Than get two big fans and get fresh air pumped through her for several days. If it still smells moldy, do it again, repeat till smell is 100% gone. May take several weeks. May have to repeat as you rip open new areas.

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Hey all, shes comming along. Got all of the water pumped out. Engine is free turning, now time for dry out, clean up and let the fun begin!

Vic H.

Attachments

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Benjmin, thank you! I do appreciate it. Having worked in the Construction and Plastics industries, and being 55 yrs old, I am being Very careful! Can't ruin yourself for fun?, not with a boat anyway!

Thanks,
Vic H.

I don't know you and probably should not care. But I actually do since I am cheering you on in this project.

Please wear protection! http://www.epa.gov/mold/whattowear.html

I would feel awful if that boat killed you or made you real sick. Mold is dangerous!

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Vic,

If the engine was submerged you need to drain the oil out of it and install new oil. Get the engine running and let it get hot. Then change the oil again. If you don't it will probably not be free turning when you finish your refit.

Good luck.

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Thanks Jake, fortunately no water in oil, but I'm changing out all fluids, fuel, filters, lines, etc before I even try the starter turn over. Just moving crankshaft by hand was a big relief!

Vic H.

Vic,

If the engine was submerged you need to drain the oil out of it and install new oil. Get the engine running and let it get hot. Then change the oil again. If you don't it will probably not be free turning when you finish your refit.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2012
Irwin Citation 34 South Portland
Sorry Vic, I own a sister ship. Your Irwin will cost more to fix than buying one in good shape. Irwins are cheap boats, and one in running shape is about $16,000, after negotiations. You're wasting your time...

Apr 4, 2012
Irwin 27 Tx
But then if you were concerned only about money.....you wouldn't buy a boat at all. Sometimes it is about the journey, not the price. So charge on bud and I look forward to your updates.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Vic Look forward to how you're doing with the project. You will miss the Shark once you switch. We used to own a Shark for about 10 years and I still miss that boat. There is nothing like the sheer fun of sailing that you get form the Shark, especially when it blows!

Matt

Apr 12, 2012
irwin 30 oxford, md
Just bought an Irwin 30'...Or at least I think it's a 30'....No quarter birth, but pedestal steering and Yanmar diesel.........However, no quarter birth.......Is this a 30' ?

Feb 21, 2012
Irwin Citation 34 South Portland
For what it's worth, Vic did the right thing and dumped the Citation 34. If anyone needs Irwin parts, PM me. I know where it is...

Scurvy

Oct 2, 2012
Sabre ex: 28 MK 1 , ex: Albin Vega 27' Falmouth, ME
I know, I'm gonna take heat! After reinspection of the Irwin Citation 35, I took her for "Free"! I can do most or all refurb myself.

I'll keep track and advise on progress and costs.

Happy Sailin' and wish me luck!

Vic H.
I looked at this boat about 10 years ago (I think she was in Stonington, CT or in southern Rhode Island if memory serves me correctly). Had her hauled out and in a matter of 20 minutes the surveyor jumped out of the boat and said that he had seen enough. My heart was broken as I really hit it off with the gentleman that owned it and he was very willing to work with me on price, etc...

Unfortunately, she had severe blisters on the hull, dry rot throughout, leaky portlights, etc...

The surveryor felt so bad that he said, give me $100 and we will call it good.

The owner said that he would let her go in a fire sale or part her out and I felt awful. She was a pretty boat with potential, but I just didn't have the time or the money to spend on a project as big as this one. I often wondered whatever became of her and so did a random google search and found the pictures and forum...I couldn't believe it.

She is in rough shape, but I am so happy that you found her and that you are working to bring her back. I know she brought great happiness to the previous owner and his family. I don't believe he was a sailor, but would motor out to Block Island and the Elizabeth Islands for weekend excursions, etc...

Good luck with the rebuild, god speed and fair winds Kitaro!

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Scurvy, I think you missed the post previous to yours, Vic gave it up. If it wasnt worth much then, imagine what another 10 years have done to it. While I always support great endeavors, this one needed a lot more effort than most are capable of. Unless that boat had some historic value or other significance, it really has no value other than its parts. And Lord knows, someone can always use parts.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
With all due respect to Vic, this is of of the boats/projects that got me thinking about the 'restoring old boats' thread I started. Not every old car is still on the road. We crush them for a reason. Sometimes boats get too far gone as well. Does not mean is impossible. Just means it makes absolutely no sense.

Scurvy

Oct 2, 2012
Sabre ex: 28 MK 1 , ex: Albin Vega 27' Falmouth, ME
Hi anchorclanker,

I didn't see the post where he gave her up. She was in awful shape...much prettier when I saw her back in the 90's. Absolutely breaks my heart to see those pictures of her derelict and at the mercy of the elements, I really feel the boat deserved more than that.

Perhaps there are parts that are salvageable...and I have to wonder why I found this post and was lead back to Kitaro after all these years. Guess we will never know.

Chris

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Whoops....missed that post about giving up pn this one.....wise decision!

Now I realize why that bath tub, ahem, boat was for free! LOL. Seriously though, I have restored a lot of boats over the years & that cabin is one of the worst I've ever seen. Get a good electric sump pump & pump it out & dry her to see what's below that water.
As others posted, everything below the water mark will be rotted & rusted. Do not try to start that engine with bad diesel fuel from the old tank. Pull fresh diesel from a jerry can with a new fuel line. Remember that she has to have raw water coming through the intake cock, so plumb that intake line into a 5 gallon bucket of clean water. Better yet get that friend who'se a mechanic to help you. That free boat is no bargain mate. Good luck, you'll need it. Cheers.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
I have to wonder why I found this post and was lead back to Kitaro after all these years. Guess we will never know.

Chris
The reasons may be found later, or maybe your not done with her yet? Maybe there is a hidden mystery in her you need to find.

Life has odd twists my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.