OK I did it, took the "Free Boat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Hinterholler Shark 24 Greenhaven, CT
I know, I'm gonna take heat! After reinspection of the Irwin Citation 35, I took her for "Free"! I can do most or all refurb myself.

I'll keep track and advise on progress and costs.

Happy Sailin' and wish me luck!

Vic H.

Feb 4, 2007
- - Somerset,
The purchase price of a sailboat is often the least expensive item. That's why they give boats away. Good liuck!

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
The purchase price of a sailboat is often the least expensive item. That's why they give boats away. Good liuck!

How well I know. I "rescued" a 1967 Shark 24 some 20 plus yrs ago. She's still going strong though.

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Irwin Citation, 34 not 35

The free boat turns out to be a Citation 34, not a 35. Saw the insignia when I hoisted the main (dead calm day, loose mainsheet). sails and roller furling look pretty good. Not racing quality but fine for crusing. The sails and the furler must be worth the cost! Now the fun begins!

Vic H.

I know, I'm gonna take heat! After reinspection of the Irwin Citation 35, I took her for "Free"! I can do most or all refurb myself.

I'll keep track and advise on progress and costs.

Happy Sailin' and wish me luck!

Vic H.

Attachments

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Very similar to the Irwin i had, think it was a 35 though. I had a good layout on the inside. But that thing would just not sail to windward, it was the shoal keel i had, and i think thats what made it no use sailing to windward.

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
AtlanticAl,

This one has a 4 ft fiberglass over lead keel, no CB. I heard that there was a 6 ft keel option but this one measures around 4 ft. Was yours the same?

Vic H.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Congrats. Looks like a great sailboat at perfect terms. Envy. I almost got a free CM30 but after driving cross country to get it, the jerk gave it to somebody else.

Keep the thread alive with updates and pics as I am very interested. I will live my free boat that got away through you.

Congrats again!

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
AtlanticAl said:
Very similar to the Irwin i had, think it was a 35 though. I had a good layout on the inside. But that thing would just not sail to windward, it was the shoal keel i had, and i think thats what made it no use sailing to windward.
Just purchased a shoal keel CM30 and I am hoping it does ok sailing to windward. We will see. I have a Mac25 I love sailing but I wanted more room and headroom.

I am in a small freshwater Nebraska lake and a deep keel is very much less than ideal. Also from what I read, if you pilot alone, a narrow deep keel is not as much fun to sail as a shoal draft keel. The shoal draft keel boats tend to require less fussing with constantly changing this and that.

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Congrats. Looks like a great sailboat at perfect terms. Envy. I almost got a free CM30 but after driving cross country to get it, the jerk gave it to somebody else.

Keep the thread alive with updates and pics as I am very interested. I will live my free boat that got away through you.

Congrats again!
Well, when I first looked at this boat, the engine room was full of water. I pumped out what I could and tried to turn Yanmar. It seemed stuck solid. I stopped back yesterday. After a period of unusually warm weather, I tried pulling on a belt again and she turns over. This is Great news, no Frozen engine!!!

Vic H.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
That is great news! Get an ozone generator to rid the interior of mold. You will need a pretty large one. This seems to be a good one:

http://www.maxblasterusa.com/index.html

I have a larger unit from Baker Indistries, that costs over twice as much. Model 15a

http://www.sonozaire.com/products.htm

Well, when I first looked at this boat, the engine room was full of water. I pumped out what I could and tried to turn Yanmar. It seemed stuck solid. I stopped back yesterday. After a period of unusually warm weather, I tried pulling on a belt again and she turns over. This is Great news, no Frozen engine!!!

Vic H.

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
That is great news! Get an ozone generator to rid the interior of mold. You will need a pretty large one. This seems to be a good one:

http://www.maxblasterusa.com/index.html

I have a larger unit from Baker Indistries, that costs over twice as much. Model 15a

http://www.sonozaire.com/products.htm

Gary, I'm gonna need a Huge one! Boat has been on the hard for 8 yrs and was full of water. Interior looks like "Munster's" house! Starboard bulkhead is shot from rot! I see a lot of bleach ahead!

Thanks for the info,
Vic H.

Attachments

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
WOW.......Red

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
That pic of the interior is overwhelming, wow again...some hard work and u will have a good boat....Check out some of our threads here on reviving a "wet engine", good luck, take lots of pics b-4,I found its very motivational ( is this a word?) when u reach the point, what the fu*k, it shows progress, its a great feeling when u first sail. Have a good trip...Red

Jul 21, 2011
Squadron 36 Lake Wateree
Vic H. said:
Gary, I'm gonna need a Huge one! Boat has been on the hard for 8 yrs and was full of water. Interior looks like "Munster's" house! Starboard bulkhead is shot from rot! I see a lot of bleach ahead!

Thanks for the info,
Vic H.
Caption for the picture...

"Abandon Ship!"

never seen a sinking boat on dry land before. Perfect!

Can't wait to see what a lot of love will do for that boat. Keep the pictures comming...

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
"Abandon Ship!"

Love the caption for the pic, amazing what 8 yrs on the hard can do, blocked cockpit drains, hatch open and of course no cover!

Vic H.

Caption for the picture...

"Abandon Ship!"

Can't wait to see what a lot of love will do for that boat. Keep the pictures comming...

Attachments

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
I replied to your other post, about the boat being full of water, i didnt realise that was your post about the irwin. You didnt say in your earlier posts, that it was full of water. That is your biggest problem, far bigger than the keel problem, because everything under that water, will just be rusted up. The engine, will just be a pile of rust, you will have to take it out, dismantle it, sand blast it, then paint it, and put it back together. Or else, you may have an engine that runs, but it will just be a heap of rust. The cabin flooring on those boats, was made of particle board, that will have now disintegrated, and be in all that water. All that woodwork, it may dry out, but you will never get a drawer, or a door closed after it does. The plywood bulkheads will be rotten, and if you do get any of the wood dried out, and its ok, it will be black.

The repairs to the keel, might cost several hundred, but the interior, will cost thousands.

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Al, have faith, no really, I know I'm in for a BIG challenge. I can do all of the work myself except for engine. I have a friend who is a Yanmar mechanic and is ready and willing to help. At least it's full of rain water and not ocean salt!

Vic H.

I replied to your other post, about the boat being full of water, i didnt realise that was your post about the irwin. You didnt say in your earlier posts, that it was full of water. That is your biggest problem, far bigger than the keel problem, because everything under that water, will just be rusted up. The engine, will just be a pile of rust, you will have to take it out, dismantle it, sand blast it, then paint it, and put it back together. Or else, you may have an engine that runs, but it will just be a heap of rust. The cabin flooring on those boats, was made of particle board, that will have now disintegrated, and be in all that water. All that woodwork, it may dry out, but you will never get a drawer, or a door closed after it does. The plywood bulkheads will be rotten, and if you do get any of the wood dried out, and its ok, it will be black.

The repairs to the keel, might cost several hundred, but the interior, will cost thousands.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
WOW. Do you have a HazMat suit????

Huge boat karma points if you pull this off. But some level headed advice. Before you start, do a complete inventory of what needs to be done, in both time and cost. No way around it, this will be hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars. Then figure out how to proceed. There is an old saying, 'There is NO such thing as a free boat.' Very true here. Figure out what makes sense.

Sails on the boom and and stay for 8 years? Ruined. Mildew and rotted for sure.

If you carry on, we're all rooting for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.