Oil change for Yanmar 4JH3E

Aug 21, 2024
Hunter 41 San Francisco
Two questions about changing the oil on my Yanmar 4JH3E on my 2004 Hunter 41.
  1. Has anyone successfully used an oil extractor to change the oil? Does it do a good job of getting most of the old oil? Did you snake the tubing down the dipstick tube or seal wider gauge tubing over the top of the dipstick tube?
  2. What oil filter is compatible with the 4JH3E? I have Baldwin B227 filters on board from the previous owner, but Baldwin tells me I need B1421 (comparable to Yanmar 129150-35151). I have trouble finding adequate information on the internet about the best oil filter for this engine.
Sam

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I use this style for my Yanmar 3GM30F on my 340.
IMG_1500.jpeg

Its been in service for 24 years now and still going strong. Plenty of suction and the tubes get to lowest point in my oil pan, so I am confident it is getting the oil out. I use the dipstick opening in my engine and do not need to seal the hose to the opening. You do need a tight seal at the top of the tank. This unit has an O ring that makes a tight seal.
Neat, clean job. Pours old oil out easily.

You have to use it in a warmed up engine. It will never work well in cold oil.
Now you going to ask the name of it…….off hand I don’t know, but you’ll find this style in West Marine or any good wholesale supplier. (Defender Marine etc)
As for your filter try TOAD Marine for the proper one and go from there.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
1. Answer.... Yes, I use an oil extractor to draw the oil from my Perkins 50HP diesel engine. It does a very good job. IT will work for you. Yes, you snake the tubing down the dipstick tube into the engine sump. First, run the engine for 10 to 15 minutes to warm the oil. It will more easily flow into the extractor. I extract about 80% plus of the oil in the engine. There will be oil in the oil filter and any oil coolers you have. If you want to wait for the oil to drain back into the sump you may get a little bit more. I do not consider the little remaining worth the aggravation. Before I refill, I remove and replace the oil filter. Some folk will fill the oil filter before spinning it back onto the engine. If your filter rests at an angle, it might contribute to a spill.

I will fill the engine oil to the full dipstick level. I will start the engine and verify that the oil pressure is good and no oil leaks are happening. Then, I will shut down and top off the oil so that the dipstick reads full (when starting, you will suck fresh oil from the oil sump and refill the filter. You need to top off the oil after the filter is filled.)

Aug 15, 2011
Hunter 45 Legend Holland
I use a 12 volt pump on the outside of the tube for changing your oil. if you look at it , it goes all the way to the bottom of the oil pan. Quick and easy. I always do it with warm oil and when done pump it back into my empty oil containers. I've been using a Fram PH3595A filter.

Attachments