Oil change at end of season?

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Ok so I’ve always changed the engine oil in my Yanmar (Hunter 356) at the end of season as part of winterization. Thereby starting the next season with new oil and filter. However this year I have lost or misplaced my oil extractor. My home is 700 miles from my boat. So grabbing another extractor from home is not an option. Amazon can’t deliver to this northern location before tomorrow’s haul out. So the question; are there any sailors out there who do not change engine oil until the next season before put in? Or is that a bad idea.....

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
As long as it doesn’t have any water contamination then it will be fine. Probably better considering condensation build up during lay up and it’s removal when you change it out as long as you do it prior to running.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I usually only change mine every other year.
But if you want to change it now, Harbor freight And Tractor Supply and other hardware stores sell a $10 hand pump that would work in a pinch. Not as good as an extractor, but I have used one before I purchased an extractor. A gallon milk or water jug to Hold the old oil.

6C68BB3D-4C90-466D-9DAF-388C21CC4310.jpeg
But, if you can’t do it, you can’t do it.

Haulouts are starting?.?? Say it ain’t so :yikes:

Greg

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Really would not hurt to leave til spring time, but, Autozone will have a product you could use I am sure

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Leaving the old oil in over the winter this once will have no adverse effects whatsoever.

Now go forward my son, say three "Hail Marys" and put a dollar in the poor box :pray:.

Just out of curiosity, how many operating hours does the oil have ?

• Ha
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
No big deal, it will be fine. I would run the boat once before replacing the oil in the spring to warm the oil up and get most the sediments in suspension for removal.

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Thanks to all who responded. First to answer Ralph’s question; there are approximately 80 hours on this oil. My old automotive engineering buddy said that even slightly used diesel oil has corrosive contaminants in it and thosecorrosives could cause lower end bearing damage over the storage season. Hmmmm

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I wouldn't sweat it, and I like what Benny said. It's always best to follow the manufactures guidelines but one season of oil sitting in the engine should not affect it. By the way, I'm not a mechanic, or an expert in anything, so my advice is worth what you paid for it.

Cheers
dj

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Thanks to all who responded. First to answer Ralph’s question; there are approximately 80 hours on this oil. My old automotive engineering buddy said that even slightly used diesel oil has corrosive contaminants in it and thosecorrosives could cause lower end bearing damage over the storage season. Hmmmm
I’m pretty certain the crank and main bearings aren’t in the sump oil when it isn’t running.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Jimongee, it sounds like you are not sold on the idea of leaving the spent oil in your Yanmar over the winter. A few thoughts: 1st is there anyone around that you could borrow an extractor from? A jug of wine will get you a lot of favours. 2nd a mechanic could certainly help out, albeit at a cost but it will relieve your concerns. 3rd when you return in the fall the oil will definitely be thicker and thus a bit harder to extract but certainly doable.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Look up the starting of old engines on Utube that have been years out in the wilderness and you will worry less about 6 months for your engine this winter. Diesels are tough and the corrosives in the oil are minimal.