O'Day Widgeon manual

Aug 10, 2015
Oday 21 Maine
We inherited my mom's O'Day Widgeon sailboat that she bought second hand in the mid 70s. There's no manual and we want to be sure we rig it correctly. Her grandkids (all in their 40s) and great-grands (teens) would like to learn to sail it. How can I find a diagram/schematic for rigging it properly?

Any recommendations for a good "how to sail for beginners" book? I found one on Amazon connected with the Annapolis sailing school that seems a good one for starters.

Thanks in advance.

Bertafitz@juno.com

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Well, I have provided copies of my Expanded Widgeon Manual to several new Widgeon Owners, it contains diagrams for rigging the various versions of the boat (variations over the 1963-89 production run).

I do ask for $25 to cover my costs of printing and postage, but that does include scanned copies of the various Widgeon Sales Brochures that I have (1963, 66,67,68,69,70,71, 72 ,73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 85, 2003).

I'll e-mail details direct.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015
Oday Widgeon Big Sandy lake
Oday Widgeon manuel

Well, I have provided copies of my Expanded Widgeon Manual to several new Widgeon Owners, it contains diagrams for rigging the various versions of the boat (variations over the 1963-89 production run).

I do ask for $20 to cover my costs of printing and postage, but that does include scanned copies of the various Widgeon Sales Brochures that I have (1963, 66,67,68,69,70,71, 72 ,73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 85, 2003).

I'll e-mail details direct.
I'm also in need of a manuel.

Frank Prawer
fprawer@prolitho.com

Jun 2, 2004
Frank, I have sent you an e-mail direct with details if you wish to order a copy of my Manual.

THANKS!

Jun 14, 2007
- - Kinnelon, NJ
Hello Sunbird, I also have a widgeon, recently purchased and would like a copy of the manual. Please send me the ordering info,
Thanks

Jul 9, 2017
O'Day Widgeon 12 Lake Manitou
I recently purchased a 1983 Widgeon 12 and would like to see a rigging diagram for the swing keel. Does the manual you have provide that info? Thanks!

Jul 12, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Pocasset
Hi Sunbird-quick question for you. A friend just launched an older (1970 or so) O'Day Widgeon in Pocasset, I helped her rig it etc. It sat through the rain just fine--we bailed it, and then two days later it keeled over and turtled--mast is currently stuck in the mud. I can't figure out why this happened-any ideas? My first thought was the centerboard needs to be down while on a mooring. Not sure if that is the case. My other thought was maybe there is supposed to be flotation on the underside of the wooden seats--and there isn't any. Not sure if you have any ideas. Thank you.

Jun 2, 2004
PO, sounds like a 1970 or earlier boat, the 1971 and later ones had the molded-in cockpit. The CB doesn't need to be down while moored, although I left mine down a few inches since it reduced her sailing around on the mooring. No flotation was fitted under the wood seats and that might actually make her less stable if swamped since the foam would be so low in the boat. Foam was located under the decking around the gunwale and in the forward and aft seat/tanks. Mine rolled over once in a heavy rain storm with strong winds, I think the waves rolling in to our cove that day were the cause. I'm not sure why your friend's boat went over unless filled by rain again and exposed to wind and/or waves? I was very fortunate over the 7 seasons that I had mine to only have her go over that once, I eve nleft her in for Hurricane Bob in 1991, although I did unstep the mast and add an extra line to the mooring!

Jun 2, 2004
I recently purchased a 1983 Widgeon 12 and would like to see a rigging diagram for the swing keel. Does the manual you have provide that info? Thanks!
My Manual does include diagrams showing how the rigging for the Centerboard is set up, several owners have had trouble due to previous owners mixing up the lines.

Jul 12, 2017
O'Day Widgeon Pocasset
Thanks Sunbird for the info--sounds like that's what happened here--it filled up due to waves--happy to know the centerboard was not the issue. I'm going to investigate further--it appears there's a hole by the centerboard as well--looks to be a drain hole of some sort. I'll try plugging that. BTW-I met George O'Day when I was a kid--I thought it was really cool.

Jun 2, 2004
There should be a threaded drain hole in the bottom of the boat just aft of the CB trunk, original plug was plastic (Nylon?) I replaced with a brass pipe-plug sealed with Teflon pipe tape, that used a hex key to screw in, original plastic plug had a slot in it for a screw driver and it was hard to screw in/out. (I think I ultimately broke that plug!) There are drain holes in the 2 flotation tank/seats (about 1" in diam.) My boat was missing at least one of those when I bought her, I tried a standard 1" rubber drain plug to seal those but it never really worked well since there was no tube/flange for the plug to expand against. I ended up sealing the forward one (just forward of the CB trunk) with a piece of duct tape <GRIN!>. OH, and there may be a hole right through the CB trunk near the top about 12" forward of the aft end, it goes horizontal across from one side to the other and was used (I guess?) to secure the CB in the fully up position when trailering. I know there was a matching hole in the CB. I never used that and tried to seal it up with silicone sealant (It used to squirt water out both sides when I really got my boat going!) Turned out that sealing the holes wasn't such a good thing as I found that they also let in a little air to the CB trunk as I lowered the CB to break the suction formed as air and water were forced out of the trunk as I raised the CB. Yes, sounds weird, but it sure seemed that way!

Sorry, forgot to warn you about getting me talking about my little gem! I've added a pic from my second Summer with my Widgeon, this was back in 1989, she was my little "yacht"!

Attachments