Oday centerboard removal

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
I need to remove the wedges of the centerboard and replace the CB. The wedges are siliconed in and hard to remove. Any ideas on removing the wedges. Do I mucsle them out of there with pliers?

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I believe they are held in with an adhesive/caulk that is meant to hold them while installing the metal plate. I would try a narrow putty knife to cut them loose from the caulk.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Sounds good but not sure you want to glue them in. I believe the caulk is just to hold the tabs until the metal brackets are screwed into place and they are what really holds everything together.

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
Sounds good but not sure you want to glue them in. I believe the caulk is just to hold the tabs until the metal brackets are screwed into place and they are what really holds everything together.
The wedges are held in place by 3M 5200 adhesive, correct? The plastic pin remains free at the top of the wedges is my understanding. And the Bracket is then screwed in at the bottom of the wedges and pin.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I would revise terminology here. There are wedges that hold the pivot pin or axle. When you say "sheaves" it makes me think of the round spinny part of a block. On larger O'Days, like even the 222, there is supposed to be a sheave up at the top of the centerboard trunk where the pendant line exits. It was accidentally omitted on some boats, and causes poor pendant operation and drastically increased wear on the line, requiring almost annual replacement.

Sorry to be pedantic. :D

I believe it is standard to glue the wedges in with 5200. The pivot seems pretty beefy and durable, so if you have to replace once in 25 years, I guess using "devil's glue" as MaineSail calls it, is not too bad.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Yes Brian, wedges. Forgot the correct name.
I don't know if 5200 was used originally or not but I wouldn't use it on parts that are meant to be taken apart no matter how infrequent it should need to be done.
I have my CB out for the 2nd time in 3 winters, trying to fix my stuck CB issues. My yard uses 5200 for a lot of things but not for holding the wedges in.
You never know when you may hit something and need to pull it for a repair.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Ward, these are good points. 4200 is a better adhesive from a disassembly standpoint.

Yes Brian, wedges. Forgot the correct name.
I don't know if 5200 was used originally or not but I wouldn't use it on parts that are meant to be taken apart no matter how infrequent it should need to be done.
I have my CB out for the 2nd time in 3 winters, trying to fix my stuck CB issues. My yard uses 5200 for a lot of things but not for holding the wedges in.
You never know when you may hit something and need to pull it for a repair.

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
Ward, these are good points. 4200 is a better adhesive from a disassembly standpoint.
So What does everyone advise to glue in the wedges? Is 4200 best? I have two tubes of 5200 ready to glue in the wedges! Should I order some 4200? Ward,
What have you been using?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
mmk,
My marina drops and reinstalls the board while they have it on the lift for power washing or splashing. They leave the wedges in a cup in the cockpit for me to keep safe over the winter. They are dirty but show no signs of adhesive on them.

I had a bad experience with 5200 where I needed to replace the depth sounder head unit and the PO had used 5200 to mount a trim plate around it. I did some damage trying to get that trim plate off.

Have you done some searches as I have read older threads about how to remove and reinstall the wedges.

Maybe I am wrong but I would need to search for those older threads to see what they used. I am under the impression the caulk holds the wedges until the brackets are in place.

Hopefully others who have done this may see this tell us what they used.

Brian always has good info and suggestions but in this case I just don't agree that you should consider the CB a permanent install for the next 25 years.

PS - I just saw my PM box was full and you tried to PM me. I just cleaned it out a bit.

If I get time tonight I will try to find one of those older threads. Back to work now.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I'ma gonna get picky again. :D:D:D

4200 and 5200 are polyurethane adhesives, Boatlife Lifecaulk is a polysulfide. As far as I remember, all three are OK below waterline.

4000 is a siliconized polyurethane, but not evil like regular old silicone RTV, which should be avoided on boats, except for Dow Corning 795 structural adhesive used to glue in plexiglass portlights (windows.) (Silicone leaves a residue that soaks into gelcoat preventing everything, including new silicone, from sticking.)

MaineSail calls 5200 "Devil's Glue." :eek: Our former Commodore at the club doesn't understand my aversion to 5200. He says he uses it all the time, even for removable stuff. When MaineSail tells stories of broken fittings trying to remove things glued in with 5200, I listen to him, and not our former Commodore. :D

Mmk, here is a link to a good thread about the Oday CBs found in 22s and 25s.

http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=113202

Sounds like I may be wrong about 5200 since it is a polysulfide (sp?) like Joe mentioned he used.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Brian,
Please be as picky as you please.:D
Joe did say they were held in place by polysulfide so he must have been talking about Life Caulk?
I thought Life Caulk was similar to 4200 but I've never used it. Only 4200 for sealing things where butyl tape won't work.
I haven't the need for 5200 yet.

I guess my point was only that you should allow for removing the CB for maintenance/repair, not install it permanently.

Just my POV.

Jul 7, 2009
Hunter 340 Detroit
OK, A small change in direction. A marina near me which has mainly powerboats, has an O'Day 25 1980. Most all of it is there, except the rudder for which I have one. A lot of good parts, or sell as a whole boat or part it out. Been out of the water for 10 years. Any thoughts. FRESH WATER BOAT.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I guess my point was only that you should allow for removing the CB for maintenance/repair, not install it permanently.

Just my POV.
This is completely the correct point you should make, and an excellent point of view to have. And thanks for making it!

Sometimes I joke: "If it's worth building, it's worth over-building." Then later on, I'm cussin' because it's so hard to take apart. :D:D:D

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Sometimes I joke: "If it's worth building, it's worth over-building." Then later on, I'm cussin' because it's so hard to take apart. :D:D:D
Better than under-building and cussing when it is sinking under your feet.:D:D

I always overthink everything I do to the boat that is permanent. Drill holes in the boat? Glue something on? I'll obsess over it for nights before deciding to proceed.
I hate being the one screwing up this good old boat I found in really good condition.

Ropeburn,
Starting your own thread will get more exposure.
Sell whole, get all the money when it sells.
Part it out, get money slowly as parts sell.
At least thats my thought when I have something to sell.

You can always list it first to see if you get any responses.

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
mmk,
My marina drops and reinstalls the board while they have it on the lift for power washing or splashing. They leave the wedges in a cup in the cockpit for me to keep safe over the winter. They are dirty but show no signs of adhesive on them.

I had a bad experience with 5200 where I needed to replace the depth sounder head unit and the PO had used 5200 to mount a trim plate around it. I did some damage trying to get that trim plate off.

Have you done some searches as I have read older threads about how to remove and reinstall the wedges.

Maybe I am wrong but I would need to search for those older threads to see what they used. I am under the impression the caulk holds the wedges until the brackets are in place.

Hopefully others who have done this may see this tell us what they used.

Brian always has good info and suggestions but in this case I just don't agree that you should consider the CB a permanent install for the next 25 years.

PS - I just saw my PM box was full and you tried to PM me. I just cleaned it out a bit.

If I get time tonight I will try to find one of those older threads. Back to work now.
So your saying your Marina takes the boat out every year and the wedges are in their slot with no adhesive! They are just held in by the bolts and metal retaining plate. no adhesive necessary?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Here is a photo I took yesterday. The only caulking looks old and the left side doesn't look like it has been scrapped clean. The wedges look relatively clean too.
Not sure if they are doing it right and have not asked them specifically but it is what I see.

Attachments

ODayCO

Nov 8, 2009
Oday 25 Ridgway, CO.
Here is a photo I took yesterday. The only caulking looks old and the left side doesn't look like it has been scrapped clean. The wedges look relatively clean too.
Not sure if they are doing it right and have not asked them specifically but it is what I see.
Whoa! Those need some work. Mine probably need more work too but I am finishing this project soon. Check out this photo of the wedges area after I epoxied them this month. I just got off the phone with Rudy at D&R Marine and he said to adhere the wedges on the flat face with 3M 4200. Do not glue the pin! I appreciate your correspondence Ward and hope you have a good sailing season. Max

Attachments