O'Day 37 1982 Total Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2004
Oday 37 World's Fair Marina, Flushing, Queens, NYC
Finally heard from Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club.

"YERAZ II" Was turned into a donor boat. The binnacle is going to an
Ericson
32'. The lead was scraped and will be used for many things from bullets
to
batteries etc. The bow rail went to a 22' C-Hawk. The hull was sent to
the
grave in the way of a recycling yard. The engine has been cleaned up and
painted and is waiting for a recipient.

So in other words Yeraz II lives on in other boats, hopefully for many
years
to come.

Best regards,

Captain Robert Satory
Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club
Boatyard
516-922-7110
516-624-8629 fax
rsatory@seawanhaka.org
boatyard@seawanhaka.org

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:42 PM
To: RSatory@Seawanhaka.org
Subject: O'Day 37 Yeraz 2

Jun 10, 2004
It is less painful that the boat no longer physically exists. Thinking of her forlorn in the yard and weeping water from her wounds was worse. I guess that's why they bury the dead.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
I drove by Seawanhaka YC a few weeks ago hoping to catch a glimpse of a boat with a hole in it's side. They have a fairly large storage yard for keel boats and I saw nothing that looked like your O 37 from the road. It was closing in on sunset and I did not have the cojones to go walking around the yard for a look see while leaving my wife in the car. Chances are there was nothing to see anyway since they have had several months to do the salvaging, cutting and hauling away.

Glad to hear that you have some closure on this episode Peter.
Do you have a new boat yet? or one picked out for next season?

Jun 10, 2004
Amazing that you were able to find your way into Seawanhaka. You can't get there from here, any here :) The yard is big but not that full back then. If you were unable to see the boat then it probably was already dismantled as soon as the insurance payment to the yard went through.

Regrettably, we have no plans for another boat. Yeraz was in fact for sale. This would have been our last season as we plan to move out of the area. I hear the canal boats in Europe are very nice.

Jun 10, 2004
In retrospect, our boat was worth more dead than alive. The keel alone was 12,000 lbs of lead. Lead sells in industrial lots for about $1 a pound. That's $12K right there. Add in the salvage selling prices for all the other stuff on board, from engine to spars to sails, etc., etc., and I would not be surprised if Seawanhaka netted $25K plus the $7K the insurance company gave them for their trouble. I don't think I could have netted $25K in a brokered sail of a perfect boat.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Peter, The oday37 ballast weight should be about 6000#. They must have paid $2 a pound for the lead keel for the salvager to net $12000. Nice to hear that a lot of the parts were recycled.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 37 Fernandina Beach FL
I noticed that your keel was lead. The original flyer I have from O'Day for the 1982 37cc list the keel as "iron keel, epoxy coated, bolted to hull with stainless steel bolts. Weight 5800 lbs."
Could this be correct?

Richard Finn

Jun 10, 2004
I noticed that your keel was lead. The original flyer I have from O'Day for the 1982 37cc list the keel as "iron keel, epoxy coated, bolted to hull with stainless steel bolts. Weight 5800 lbs."
Could this be correct?

Richard Finn
Yes and no. I misstated the keel weight. Details, details. I got the price of lead off the metals markets, about $1 a pound.

For a year or two O'Day put iron keels on some of their boats when the price of lead went high. Indeed, the manual that came with the boat had instructions for the care and feeding of iron keels.I learned this before I bought the boat and instructed the surveyor to make absolutely sure the keel was lead. It was. It may be that some 1981s and early '82s had iron. Our first boat had an iron swing keel. Never, ever, ever again.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Our 83 oday37 has the iron keel and it is our second big sailboat to have one. Never had any problems with the Westerly's keel and none so far with the Oday's.

Jun 10, 2004
Aha! I've been looking on the wrong side. Seems it was the later boats with iron keels. There were quite a few money-saving changes on later boats, like stainless tubing instead of wood companionways and built-up hand rails instead of carved solid teak. Bangor-Punta changes, I guess.

As for iron keels, they rust and scale. I guess if you get a clean one to start with and keep after it you'll have no problem. Ours had been neglected. Ever heard of a chipping hammer? Great exercise.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 37 Fernandina Beach FL
I have the flyer for the '82 37cc, number 642388, documentation dated 9 Nov. 1981. My boat is the featured boat so I presume that it was the first model produced that year. The flyer states "iron keel." If your keel was lead, then they switched sometime during that production year. I need to check my keel. If it is iron, it hasn't been a problem.

Jun 10, 2004
The lead keel is encapsulated. The hull and keel are (were) all of a piece. Our documentation number was 657568. Hull number XDYX0191M82C. I have a 1978 spec sheet/price list, which says "Ballast 6,000 lbs., lead." Base price of that boat was $42,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.