O'Day 34 Performance?

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
Hello '34 owners out there, just saw a post on e-bay & someone has an '84 O'Day 34 Performance for sale on the Great Lakes. Asking $29k, god love him, hopes he gets double that!

Seriously though, was there ever such a model made? It looks similar to my '83 w/o the cabin traveler with the exception of a cockpit traveler just aft of the hatch. The boat also has some storage pockets inside the combings as well, nice idea but could be aftermarket. Also, V-berth hatch as a wimpy lite set into it, not the full plexiglass hatch I have. Two burner stove, no oven but a cabinet below.

Anyway, what gives?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Hello '34 owners out there, just saw a post on e-bay & someone has an '84 O'Day 34 Performance for sale on the Great Lakes. Asking $29k, god love him, hopes he gets double that!

Seriously though, was there ever such a model made? It looks similar to my '83 w/o the cabin traveler with the exception of a cockpit traveler just aft of the hatch. The boat also has some storage pockets inside the combings as well, nice idea but could be aftermarket. Also, V-berth hatch as a wimpy lite set into it, not the full plexiglass hatch I have. Two burner stove, no oven but a cabinet below.

Anyway, what gives?
The info at the bottom of this link shows some specs for a tall rig. I'm guessing that's what the "performance" means.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1709

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I can't believe that this boat, with an M25, STILL has the OLD STYLE ALTERNATOR MOUNTING BRACKET!

AND the AMMETER!!!

It probably has the trailer-plug connectors too!

If you still have these (problems) on your boat FIX THEM ASAP!

Aug 7, 2015
thanks, guess I'm shinny up my mast and see if its got the big mast or I have to non-performance model....

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
No need to measure. From the pictures, it appears that the big mast is a double spreader rig.

Jan 28, 2017
O'Day 34 Suttons Bay
I can't believe that this boat, with an M25, STILL has the OLD STYLE ALTERNATOR MOUNTING BRACKET!
It probably has the trailer-plug connectors too!
If you still have these (problems) on your boat FIX THEM ASAP!
What's the issue with the ammeter? I am the new owner of a '84 34 and recognize this panel. I think the M25 alternator mount has been updated (but I'll double check when I head back to commission in the spring). Trailer plug connectors?

On the topic, I'm ready to add an autopilot - does anyone have experience with the EV-100 or EV-200? The Datamarine instruments are mostly dead (wind speed and depth are non functional) so I'm shopping for NMEA 2000 instruments, too. Any advice is welcome.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
First of all, a voltmeter is a far more useful gauge at the control panel.

Second, this ammeter was wired directly to the output of the alternator through 10 gauge wire, which then ran through two trailer plugs. Therefore the 14.4V output of the 55A alternator runs through AT LEAST 20 feet of AWG 10. In addition, it has to go through FOUR trailer plug connectors. The MINIMUM wire size for a 20-foot run of 55A is AWG 4. The voltage drop in going through this undersized wire, and then these lame connectors, is likely somewhere around 2 volts (best case). It is a wonder that the batteries could survive. The contacts in the trailer plug connector WILL corrode, and this will lead to more resistance, and cause the connectors to MELT. and create a fire hazard.

I had a client that had just purchased a Catalina 30 with an M25. He asked me to help him on his first sail. As we motored back to the marina the engine died, and would not restart. He asked me to look into the reason for the engine trouble. I found that the trailer plug connector had melted, and cut power to the lift pump. I replaced both trailer plugs with terminal strips.

I installed an EV-100 wheel pilot package on my Oday 35 and I like it very much. In addition, I installed an eS78 MFD with depth sounder, a Vesper Marine XB-8000, and a Raymarine Ray 50 VHF. I am happy with the entire system.

Aug 7, 2015
Jeez, first up the mast & then check the trailer plugs for ? Brake lights? Seriously though, are you speaking of a disconnect between the alternator & amp meter?

Aug 7, 2015
thanks, this is huge. My existing engine panel is looking peaked & at times previous, I had thought about potentially replacing it. May well be more reasons than previously thought t tear into this. Many thanks!

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Just saw this diagram. Reminds me that I need to install a solenoid in my glow plug circuit.
Thanks

Jan 28, 2017
O'Day 34 Suttons Bay
Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The second plug should be just behind the panel. You might have to pull the panel to access it.

Jan 28, 2017
O'Day 34 Suttons Bay
Yep. That’s where I found it. So, would an automotive relay work for the starter/glow plug upgrade, or does it need to be the (more expensive) marine solenoid?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Why won't it work? Think of it this way, the automotive relay does not know where it is, it just receives a voltage and actuates. Engine compartments on cars are a horrible environment, road salt, dirt, sand, bugs, mice chewing on wires, constantly wet from going through puddles and rain storms, people driving on the beach in their 4 wheel drives. The marine unit is probably the same thing with a new sticker on it that says "marine." A boat engine compartment is typically a better environment except for the dripping stuffing box and it is hot.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
You can use an automotive starter solenoid as a glow plug solenoid. The only concern is that you need one that can handle the amperage.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @bread&water that is a bit of a tough diet... Punishment?
Good choice of an AP. Show us a pic of your boat and share your thoughts of sailing in your area.
You have joined a great bunch of sailors.