O'day 34 Hornet

Mar 4, 2006
Oday 34 chicago
Interesting. There was a double spreader rigged 34 in Racine about a dozen years ago. It had been on the hard for several years and had internal water damage. Someone bought it and I never heard what happened to it.
Was the name of that Oday "My III Sons?

Mar 4, 2006
Oday 34 chicago
My understanding is that some 1984 Odays 34 were "Anniversary Editions" as evidence by a small plaque on the outboard cockpit comings. As such, like my boat, there is a taller double spreader mast, extra lead added to the bottom of the keel and a 13.6 foot boom. Any thoughts?
20200613_154446.jpg

Jun 12, 2016
Catalina 22 East Greenwish
My understanding is that some 1984 Odays 34 were "Anniversary Editions" as evidence by a small plaque on the outboard cockpit comings. As such, like my boat, there is a taller double spreader mast, extra lead added to the bottom of the keel and a 13.6 foot boom. Any thoughts?View attachment 188070
Jonny,

Im the new owner of Hornet. I’d be curious to know more about your boat. Hornets keel looks different from yours, and yours is deeper than the normal keel. Yours seems to lack the large chamfered trailing edge that Hornet has.

Does your boat have a molded headliner? Hornet does not have one. Hornets rig is also different from the standard tall rig. Hornet has inline spreaders. All shrouds terminate at one point on deck vs having fore and aft lowers. Hornet doesn’t have a traditional chain plate really below deck. She has large single tie rods that connect to the interior hull pan. You can see them, and the lack of a headliner in the attached pictures. She used to have a vinyl headliner but I’m in the middle of fairing out the underside of the deck since the vinyl was removed.

AA3E6911-92C0-4FD8-8B04-677A511332C5.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2016
Catalina 22 East Greenwish
Draft restriction I imagine. Likely has similar righting moment but you’re right, you lost windward pointing ability.

Mar 4, 2006
Oday 34 chicago
Jonny,

Im the new owner of Hornet. I’d be curious to know more about your boat. Hornets keel looks different from yours, and yours is deeper than the normal keel. Yours seems to lack the large chamfered trailing edge that Hornet has.

Does your boat have a molded headliner? Hornet does not have one. Hornets rig is also different from the standard tall rig. Hornet has inline spreaders. All shrouds terminate at one point on deck vs having fore and aft lowers. Hornet doesn’t have a traditional chain plate really below deck. She has large single tie rods that connect to the interior hull pan. You can see them, and the lack of a headliner in the attached pictures. She used to have a vinyl headliner but I’m in the middle of fairing out the underside of the deck since the vinyl was removed.

View attachment 189765
Same interior except I have the headliner. Hull looks the same