O'day 34 Hornet

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
There was nothing to support my cushion when I bought the boat. I made a template and built one. I store it under the starboard settee cushion. You are welcome to use mine as a template for yours if you would like.

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
Thanks for the tips. I will keep the questions going, for those with an adjustable backstay what are the psi tensions you use?

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
There was nothing to support my cushion when I bought the boat. I made a template and built one. I store it under the starboard settee cushion. You are welcome to use mine as a template for yours if you would like.
I can't find the insert, will need to fabricate.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I can't find the insert, will need to fabricate.
One of the issues with the insert is when it is in the retracted position under the settee cushions you can't get at the seacock for the sink drain. This forces you to pull out the insert any time you want to open or close the seacock. I'm guessing that the previous owner removed it if they never used that location for sleeping. IS there any way to contact the previous owner and see if maybe they kept the insert in a garage?

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
One of the issues with the insert is when it is in the retracted position under the settee cushions you can't get at the seacock for the sink drain. This forces you to pull out the insert any time you want to open or close the seacock. I'm guessing that the previous owner removed it if they never used that location for sleeping. IS there any way to contact the previous owner and see if maybe they kept the insert in a garage?
Makes sense I will see what I can find.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I would love to see some photos of the Hornet rigs, and the way they area attached in the cabin if either of you guys could post some. Dave - my galley sink seacock is under the sink - I have a water tank under the settee - are you saying your sink seacock is under the settee??

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
My sink seacock is next to the water tank and next to the forward ice chest. Very difficult to get at. I have to pull out the sliding support for the cushion insert, then remove a cushion and plywood cover to open or close it. Very poor accessibility.

May 6, 2010
My sink seacock is next to the water tank and next to the forward ice chest. Very difficult to get at. I have to pull out the sliding support for the cushion insert, then remove a cushion and plywood cover to open or close it. Very poor accessibility.
Weird, my water tanks are tight to the plywood bulkheads of the nav station locker on starboard and the galley on port, sounds like at least your port tank must be a little more forward so the seacock is between the tank and the bulkhead? My sink seacock is directly below the galley sink in the cabinet under the sink...

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Yeah there is a little space there but a pain to get at unless the settee is set up as a bed with the insert board pulled out. Terrible location, yours sounds a lot more convenient.

Aug 15, 2016
O'Day 34 Barrington, RI
I race my O'Day 34 "Windwalker"out of the Barrington Yacht Club and I recently noticed that there are two other 34's on the other side of Narragansett Bay. Stormin Norman from West Bay YC and Hornet from the East Greenwich Yacht Club. I would also like to see some photos of the Hornet rig, maybe pick up some pointers.

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
Sorry for not keeping track of this thread. I uploaded a few pictures of Hornet to show the rig, sail plan and keel. The rudder was replace with a new design from Foss Foam, the new design improved the airfoil due to the orig rudder being wet.

Keel/Rudder

Cockpit

Main traveler located in cockpit

Rig (Double Spreader, Rod Rigging, Inline Single NavTec termination tie rod into cabin pan)

Under Sail

May 6, 2010
Interesting. There was a double spreader rigged 34 in Racine about a dozen years ago. It had been on the hard for several years and had internal water damage. Someone bought it and I never heard what happened to it.

Jun 2, 2019
Oday 34 Lorain Ohio
Sorry for not keeping track of this thread. I uploaded a few pictures of Hornet to show the rig, sail plan and keel. The rudder was replace with a new design from Foss Foam, the new design improved the airfoil due to the orig rudder being wet.

Keel/Rudder

Cockpit

Main traveler located in cockpit

Rig (Double Spreader, Rod Rigging, Inline Single NavTec termination tie rod into cabin pan)

Under Sail

Jun 2, 2019
Oday 34 Lorain Ohio
Hello Rob,
My name is Scott and I just purchased the Oday 34 that was for sale in Manistee, Mi No Regrets. This boat has the tall double spreader rig like yours and the 6 2 keel any idea how many were made this way. Also I see in your pic going upwind your head sail leech is past the upper spreader and it looks like a 150 or so genoa how is that? On mine I have a 130 and when I sheet in is is inside the top spreader so to me it looks as if i put a 155 I would not be able to sheet in as tight as I can with the 130. Also it seems to me a 155 may be to much sail once the wind builds to say 12-15 do you reef early? I have a lot of questions maybe we could converse on the phone
Scott

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
Hi Scott,
I found the listing on your boat, its interesting since it certainly is the tall rig but without some keel modifications and in line spreaders. Hornet also lacks a headliner and has a larger boom, I take about a 21 second rating hit over a factory boat and is balsa cored hull and eck. This is a 150% in the picture, recently went to a 142% head sail and still have plenty of power. We can hold this sail until about 18 knts, need to reef this point or drop to the 3 with no reef. Depending on conditions we will de-power with main reef or head sail. With the 142% we are hitting the top spreader and like to be about 2" off upwind. Happy to help answer additional questions, congrats on the boat once you get it dialed in the boat will impress you.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
A couple of comments, first congrats on your purchase. Nice looking sails, too! I'm curious to know what a new 'improved design' rudder cost you? Your probably not getting hits on the backstay question because most of us don't have one. I spoke to my rigger who actively races and he opined it wouldn't do much for our typical rig.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

Under Sail
Nice looking trim!

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
A couple of comments, first congrats on your purchase. Nice looking sails, too! I'm curious to know what a new 'improved design' rudder cost you? Your probably not getting hits on the backstay question because most of us don't have one. I spoke to my rigger who actively races and he opined it wouldn't do much for our typical rig.
Hi, not exactly sure but recall it being around 2k shipped and crated from Foss Foam CA. Very nice product, made from Vinylester and has held well over the past 4 years. For the back stay question this thread is a few years old, you figure out how to answer your own questions.