O'day 34 Hornet

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
Hi,
Is anyone familiar with the O'Day 34 Hornet? I believe two were built by Jim Hunt were used for BI RW.

Thanks,
Rob

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Hi, Is anyone familiar with the O'Day 34 Hornet? I believe two were built by Jim Hunt were used for BI RW. Thanks, Rob
never heard of it. But back around 1994 a 34 won the Marion to Bermuda race for all classes on corrected time. Maybe that was one of them? This boat beat maxis and all kinds of tricked out boats,a real hero in sailing history.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
never heard of it. But back around 1994 a 34 won the Marion to Bermuda race for all classes on corrected time. Maybe that was one of them? This boat beat maxis and all kinds of tricked out boats,a real hero in sailing history.
. It was 1989 and the boat was Yukon Jack.

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
Hornet's home is in CT and races on the ECSA circuit. Has been quite successful in years past. I think it may be for sale - is that why you are inquiring? Is the same hull as the 'standard' OD34 but has a taller (40.75') double spreader rig and a deeper keel (6.2') which is lead rather than cast iron. Rig and keel are definitely faster than standard - nice! Only negative is dealing with the extra draft.

If she is for sale and you are looking to buy, I would think it well worth a look. Obviously, condition of a 30+ year old boat is a key issue but I believe the design itself is great.

(PS - Yukon Jack was the 'standard' OD34.)

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Curious if Yukon Jack had any modifcations or was it raced "off the shelf" stock?

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
Hornet's home is in CT and races on the ECSA circuit. Has been quite successful in years past. I think it may be for sale - is that why you are inquiring? Is the same hull as the 'standard' OD34 but has a taller (40.75') double spreader rig and a deeper keel (6.2') which is lead rather than cast iron. Rig and keel are definitely faster than standard - nice! Only negative is dealing with the extra draft.

If she is for sale and you are looking to buy, I would think it well worth a look. Obviously, condition of a 30+ year old boat is a key issue but I believe the design itself is great.

(PS - Yukon Jack was the 'standard' OD34.)
Great info, yes this is why I was inquiring to see if anyone had additional details about the boat. I do realize it was a custom factory boat built for BIRW. Believe two were built by Jim Hunt?

It appears to have a different chaineplate setup as well? Navtec tie rod all terminate behind the sette, with no attachments to the bulkhead.

I will keep everyone updated if I purchase the boat.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Didn't the 34/35 come in deep draft or shoal? I think mine was originally a six foot draft and has a lead keel. I never heard of an Oday 34 Hornet before. I wonder if they were a racing version?

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
Update

Update:
I went through with the purchase and did the delivery over the weekend. One questions (of many). How does the port settee convert to a double berth? I believe I have the extra cushion for it, can't figure out the what goes underneath for support?

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Yes, please do keep us informed rob_sail. Sounds like you got yourself a sleeper that will astound folks when a boat that age passes them. I am enjoying the looks when YOT catches and passes the newer, every gadget going boats. You are going to enjoy the consternation you can inflict. Good sailing.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yes, please do keep us informed rob_sail. Sounds like you got yourself a sleeper that will astound folks when a boat that age passes them. I am enjoying the looks when YOT catches and passes the newer, every gadget going boats. You are going to enjoy the consternation you can inflict. Good sailing.
Come on guys! ;^)

Its a nice boat, but speedwise at PHRF 156 its decidedly mid-pack among the other mid-80s cruisers, and no where near the racier 34-35s of the day.

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
Come on guys! ;^)

Its a nice boat, but speedwise at PHRF 156 its decidedly mid-pack among the other mid-80s cruisers, and no where near the racier 34-35s of the day.
Being a modified boat it rates about 30 seconds faster than the standard factory boat. 135 spin 156 non-spin. J30 is close this rating.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Ha, ha Jackdaw. Two great things about these sailyboats are they can't read and they can't count. ;)

Nov 8, 2010
Being a modified boat it rates about 30 seconds faster than the standard factory boat. 135 spin 156 non-spin. J30 is close this rating.
Interesting.

The standard 34 rates 150 in Narragansett Bay WITH spinnaker. What are you saying yours rates?

A better contemporary comparison would be the J-35, which rates 75.

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
Interesting.

The standard 34 rates 150 in Narragansett Bay WITH spinnaker. What are you saying yours rates?

A better contemporary comparison would be the J-35, which rates 75.
135 Spin
156 Non-spin

I was talking in respect to ratings, almost the same as a J30.

This is a factory modify O34, double spreader rig 2 feet taller rod rigging, custom keel 6.6 draft lead, and foot longer boom. Two boats were built by Jim Hunt for BIRW.

Nov 8, 2010
135 Spin
156 Non-spin

I was talking in respect to ratings, almost the same as a J30.

This is a factory modify O34, double spreader rig 2 feet taller rod rigging, custom keel 6.6 draft lead, and foot longer boom. Two boats were built by Jim Hunt for BIRW.
OK that sounds about right.. 15 seconds/mile faster than stock. You said 30 in and earlier post. I could not see that.

A j-30 is over 4 feet shorter. Bad comparison. The j/35 is within a foot. But 1 minute a mile faster.

Aug 14, 2014
TBD TBD RI
Update:
I went through with the purchase and did the delivery over the weekend. One questions (of many). How does the port settee convert to a double berth? I believe I have the extra cushion for it, can't figure out the what goes underneath for support?

Any idea on my question. " How does the port settee convert to a double berth? I believe I have the extra cushion for it, can't figure out the what goes underneath for support?"

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Should be a wooded rail on the galley sink bulkhead for support.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I see the rails, but what fits in between the rails to support the cushion? Am I missing something?
there should be a plywood board that slides out from under the settee cushion to rest up against the table leaf and sits on those rails. Pick up your cushion and see if it is there.