O'day 322 Traveler Replacement Query

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Have any of you replaced your traveler track and if so calculated the curvature radius? The formula on the Harken website appears to be wrong, giving me 130'. The correct formula gives me 28.5', but I'm not trusting either number to use when ordering a new track from Harken. Or did you just bend it yourself? Thanks for any thoughts/experiences.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
In which direction are you proposing to bend your traveler track? Which style track and what are the cross sectional dimensions? Some tracks you can bend yourself as you install it. There are other tracks that are meant to span areas without support in the middle which you can't bend by yourself. There are also maximum allowable radiuses and if you exceed them, the traveler car will not function properly.

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Ted. The current (original) traveler track curves vertically to conform to the cabin curvature. There is no middle support as it goes over the companionway hatch. Curved Length is 69 5/8"; straight (chord) length (L) is 69 1/8"; chord depth(D) (height differential) is 1 3/4". Harken website gives a formula of R=(L^2 + D^2)/D^2 = 130', but correct formula is R=(4D^2 + L^2)/8D = 28.5'. Harken gives a minimum radius for their big boat car of 8'.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You might consider going to as straight track, like Garhauer's. A straight track is actually better for mainsail control because it doesn't affect the shape of the sail as you adjust the traveler. Garhauer makes a riser for the ends, too.

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Stu. I've thought about that and may go that route. I just prefer the aesthetics of the track matching the cabin roof curvature and my crew is always adjusting the main sheet anyway.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
I think that the Harken "Big Boat" traveler car would be overkill for your boat. I have installed a Harken "Midrange" traveler track on a previous boat. Since your track installation is going to span the companionway, you won't be able to bend that track yourself. It's much too rigid in the vertical direction, actually in both directions. If I remember correctly, Harken offers a service to bend the track. I wouldn't worry about giving them the radius. Give them the chord length and the height of the rise in the center and let them be responsible for doing the math. Another option would be to send them your old track and have them match it. Which track are you planning to use? I came up with a radius of 342.18" based on a chord length of 69.125" and a rise of 1.75".

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Ted. I thought "big boat" sounded too much as well, but they say the 32 mm ones they call big boat are for boats (with mid-boom sheeting) of length 31'-40' and max sail area of 350 sq. ft. (The O'day 322's mainsail area is 229, and the midrange Harken has a max of only 215.)
Your calculation is right using the correct formula but not theirs.
Your suggestion to just give them the measurements and let them figure it out is a very good one.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What is wrong with your original traveler?

Have you checked with Rudy at DRMarine?

He was able to get me a new rope clutch to match the original ones on my O322.

Greg

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
Thanks Ted. I thought "big boat" sounded too much as well, but they say the 32 mm ones they call big boat are for boats (with mid-boom sheeting) of length 31'-40' and max sail area of 350 sq. ft. (The O'day 322's mainsail area is 229, and the midrange Harken has a max of only 215.)
Your calculation is right using the correct formula but not theirs.
Your suggestion to just give them the measurements and let them figure it out is a very good one.
Check the Harken website again. http://www.harken.com/article.aspx?id=12854
I believe that your boat would be considered a small offshore boat and the maximum main sail size would be 240 sq. ft. with mid boom sheeting. You might consider calling Harken to verify before your purchase. There's a big price difference between the "big boat" and "midrange" hardware.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Tally Ho, a bolt holding the shackle to the car came out mid-sail (luckily in moderate breeze). It was repaired as best as it could be but the expert opinion is that it won't hold up to a clumsy gybe in a strong wind. I thought I'd replace and upgrade. DR Marine has no Oday 322 travelers on its website, but you're right, Rudy often has other stuff hidden away. I'll get in touch with him.

Jan 2, 2017
Ted, that 240 is for "high load". I don't know what that means. As you say, there's quite a price differential, so I'll get in touch with them and figure it out.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
Harken makes two versions of their "midrange" traveler cars. The standard one has a safe working load of 1800 lbs. and is 4.25" long. The "high load" version has a safe working load of 2300 lbs. and is 5.1875" long. There is not much of a price difference between them.

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Ted. Sounds like you're quite an expert on the Harken traveler cars. Are you familiar with the "stand up toggle" (versus the "forged shackle")? It's supposed to keep the main sheet block from flopping over. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
The stand up toggle works well at preventing the main sheet block from flopping around. I've had them on a few boats. If you're interested, I have a brand new (still in the original package) midrange stand up toggle for sale. 33% less than the best price you can find on line. (Harken #1561) PM me if you have any interest.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Alistair, as others have mentioned, a call to Harken would be a good idea - they are really great to work with and will help you spec exactly what you need. They do bend track there, and I would think it would be easy enough to template your curve and send it to them. On our Oday 34 I replaced the curved track with a straight Harken track, the only downside is I cannot remove the storm hood (should I ever need to) without removing the traveler.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I replaced the traveler on my 272 with a Garhauer MT2, I think. Straight track, control lines. I built stainless steel risers. Absolutely love it!
IMG_0892.JPG

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Call Guido at Garhauer. That guy is amazing. I redid mine about 8 or 10 years ago. Tell him what you have...what you want...and he'll figure it out.