Oday 322 mast wiring

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
@AndreNJ11, do you have a photo of you spin halyard setup (block on the bail)?

Mine is set up with appears to be an anchor roller...has to be a PO mod.

View attachment 169078
Hi Tally Ho,
I have not done a spinnaker, so I have not addressed it. Yes, yours does seem to be an anchor roller.
Just putting a spin halyard on the bail block would seem to leave the spinnaker halyard on the outside of the mast all the way down (a real wind-slapping noise hazard). If I ever did it i guess I would try to cut in a mast exit on the front of the mast a few feet down, to take the spin halyard inside. It would have to be a double sheave mast exit. The one farther down the mast on the front (which is a single sheave) , I presume is for the spin pole topping lift.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi Tally Ho,
I have not done a spinnaker, so I have not addressed it. The one farther down the mast on the front (which is a single sheave) , I presume is for the spin pole topping lift.
Ok. Thanks. And yes, the single sheave down low on the mast is for the spin pole topping lift,
I used my spinnaker yesterday, and the halyard works fine (on the roller), so I guess I will leave it that way for now. If I take the mast down at some point, will consider options then.

Thanks,

Greg

6EAC4D66-8E9E-4E4B-A7DB-BFB0ACB56D8F.jpeg

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
tHANKS FOR THE TIPS, only days to the unstepping for the winter. Does the mast just lift free of the deck top step or are there pins, bolts or other hidden hardware that will need to be removed prior, aside from the 4 visible bolts of course.

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
I have mast down on the deck now. All new nav lights and sheaves are already in hand. Problem is the radar cable about fills the conduit for wiring in the mast. Any suggestions for installing a new radar cable?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
New Radar Cable? Are you changing out the radar for new electronics? If so the new digital systems use a small diameter cable. If the cable is taking up all of the conduit, you may need to install a separate conduit in the Mast. More then one is possible. I have 2 conduits running in my mast. The older analog radar systems use large cables to power and transmit the signal from the radar unit to the display. The cables are of a specific length, matched to the display for performance. You would need to buy a replacement. Unless yours is cut or frayed/damaged, not sure that is necessary.

Nov 12, 2018
ODay 34' Shallow Draft Cambridge
First - I hope you are hiring a marina to professionally drop the mast with a crane, it is way to big (in my opinion) to be handling yourself.

1 - take a picture and take notes on how all the connections are made in the bilge. Test each connection in advance to be sure you understand them.
2 - the marina (or you) will run a messenger line through the mast step tube when withdrawing all the mast wires from the mast support tube. This will easily allow to re-feed the mast wires back down the mast support and out the hole at the bottom when reinstalling the mast. The wires are about 6 feet long.
3 - I strongly recommend that you take this opportunity to replace the four main sheaves (2 back , 2 forward) supporting the main halyard, topping lift, spin halyard and jib halyard (unused due to CDI furler self contained halyard). They are now 30+ years old and will disintegrate any day (one of mine did at 25+ years. I had to remove the crumbling remains and run on the bare axle for the rest of the season). See my post on the part number to order from US Spars.
4 - I replaced my anchor light, steaming light and deck light fitting- all at this time. You can still buy Aqua Signal exact replacements. There is also no better time to put in an LED anchor light bulb.
5 - I did not replace my wiring as it all seemed OK, but you should inspect and consider that as well.
6 - If you plan in a future spinnaker, you may wish to consider adding a spin block to the spin bail with a messenger line for the spin sheet at this time.

Good luck with it.

Andre
Andre,

That is good advice! Thanks for the reminder for how important it is to remember the boats are 30 years old, and being prepared to replace it all when the mast is down.

Enjoy,

Chris

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Andre,

That is good advice! Thanks for the reminder for how important it is to remember the boats are 30 years old, and being prepared to replace it all when the mast is down.

Enjoy,

Chris
:plus: I replaced all lighting wiring with heavier gauge to carry the strain and switched to LED on the anchor, steaming and deck lights. Also reworked the deck feedthru to prevent water intrusion. Do everything you can while the mast is down! I missed cleaning out the masthead anemometer xducer.