O'Day 32 - questions from Greenhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Konstantin:
I don't know that infomation without removing the rudder, but my thought would be to make an access opening on each side of the rudder like maybe a 12X12 square and see whats going on inside and after repairs are made epoxy or screw an inside flange made from a thin piece of hardwood or plastic on the opening and then put the cut panels back with epoxy and fiberglass mat

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
Hi!
Step first in rudder repairing. Stripping of antifouling coats by the carbonate sand-blasting.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hi!
Step first in rudder repairing. Stripping of antifouling coats by the carbonate sand-blasting.
Hi Konstantin!
It sounds like you have a good plan started. I can see the seam where the two halves of the blade come together. I think that my biggest mistake years ago when I was trying to fix my blade was; I was trying to patch the outside of the blade. What I probably should have done was, cut a panel out of one side of the blade, remove the foam, reconstruct the edge of the blade with fiberglass, both inside and out to get rid of the seam. Then install some kind of a filler with the resin, and put it back together. One of the guys in my club did this, or something similar to this for his rudder blade on his O'Day 25, years ago. He just recently bought an O'Day 27 last summer with the same rudder blade issue, and I learned that he had fixed this one too. I'm kind of sorry right now that I threw both of my old rudder blades out. I should have kept at least one of them for the day that I could gain enough knowledge to repair it. Good luck with that, and please keep us posted on your progress.
Joe

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Konstantin

Atta Boy!!! :)
now your on the right track, what are you going to do? cut a square opening in the side and have a look inside, stand it up in a warm place for a while and hope it drys out and then seal up the bottom? :confused:
yes please keep us posted and pictures are a must

:pix:

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
Hi all! I'm going to divide my rudder in two separate parts and check up condition of the polyurethane foam inside. After that I can have exact plan of repair. Of course I will keep you informed.

2RAD: my English is too insufficient. What does it mean Atta Boy? :)

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
I've just thoroughly looked at my rudder without antifouling. I saw very unfortunate picture :( Gelcoat is out of condition - innumerable quantity of osmotic bubble destruction. Rudder body has laminated with sprayed fibre and it's out of condition too (it has a lot of local surface delaminations). I just hope that I will not see the same picture on hull of my boat when I peel a lot of antifouling coats from it!
Is O'Day hull stronger that it rudder?

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Konstantin

The blisters are normal to a rudder that has been loaded with water, so after you open it up and do the repair you can coat the whole rudder with epoxy and make it better than new
The hull on the older fiberglass boats such as yours and mine are pretty thick
Atta boy is the same as saying good boy or job well done
picture me standing next to you and slapping you on the back and saying atta boy Konstantin
I hope you understand this weeks english lesson :)

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
RAD, thanks for explanation! Now it's clear for me :)
Do you know what kind of technology was used in hull lamination? Was it sprayed fibre or manual lamination with glass fabric?

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
Hi all! I've got some time to go on my repair. I have to say that the guys from "Fossfoam" didn't make their work well! Gelcoat on the rudder is very thin and has a lot of small bubbles. But they don't look as osmotic. It's some strange defect of gelcoat (insufficient mixing may be).

Attachments

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
I've cut out the bottom of the rudder and was very surprised when I found a spacious cavity pocket with wet sand inside. Knocking exposed many another cavity pockets in other parts of rudder.

Attachments

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
I couldn't divide a rudder in two separate parts. Was found that the trailing edge of rudder is really strong (unfortunately only one edge :) ). I made a decision to fix my rudder as is. I sawed two wide channel across leading edge tightened parts of rudder by the screw-clamps and glued two glass-fiber bands in flush with surface. Tomorrow I'm going to overcover the leading edge wholly with wide piece of glass-fiber.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Because of poor quality of gelcoat I made a decision to remove it all.
I wouldn't be too concerned about gelcoat on the rudder. As long as there is no mold release wax on it, and the area is later sealed. You're going to paint the blade with a bottom paint later on, anyway. I guarantee you that the hull on your O'Day 32 was built a lot better than that rudder blade. Good luck with that project, Konstantin!
Joe

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
I guarantee you that the hull on your O'Day 32 was built a lot better than that rudder blade. Joe
I very much hope for it! Hull has a lot of old antifouling coats. I'm going to remove it in April and inspect hull thoroughly.

Attachments

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Konstantin,

Hulls on O'Day boats are prone to small blisters in gelcoat in southern USA. The technique in local area in treating them is to sandblast hull to open all blisters. Wash and let hul dry out for several month. It helps to occassionally wash hull to remove any leaching residue from blisters. Also wash with acetone to remove acids leaching from underlying FRP.

After hull dried (usually several months depending on temperatures) wash with acetone prior to repairing. All holes are filled with long fiber paste and refilled as nessary to get fair hull. Lots of sanding involved. After hull fair, the hull is treated with a sealing epoxy. Then an epoxy primer followed by your bottom paint.

Lots of work. You will get good arm workout. Also wear respirator.

Fair winds,
Ed K

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
Hi Ed! Yes you're right. If I can't find visible osmotic blisters I'm going to preventively apply 5 coats of Gelshield 200.

Oct 21, 2008
Oday 32 CC Moscow
Work going to finish

One coat of International Epiglass
Sanding
Beer (a little bit)
Three coats of International Gelshield Plus
A lot of sanding between coats
Filling with International Watertite
A lot of sanding
Beer (not a lot, but enough)
Five coats of International Gelshield 200
Finish
Much beer

Next Tuesday I'm going to drive to Helsinki to paint my boat.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Excellent work, Konstantin! I hope to have my boat in the water in another week after the docks and moorings go in at our club. The best of luck!
Joe

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Konstantin - you make

Konstantin,

Your photos of your work make my ancestors from St. Petersburg happy. Maybe you should emigrate like they did.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

One coat of International Epiglass
Sanding
Beer (a little bit)
Three coats of International Gelshield Plus
A lot of sanding between coats
Filling with International Watertite
A lot of sanding
Beer (not a lot, but enough)
Five coats of International Gelshield 200
Finish
Much beer

Next Tuesday I'm going to drive to Helsinki to paint my boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.