O'Day 30

Feb 27, 2021
O'Day 30 Wilmington
Looking for any information, things to check, opinions, and anything helpful for an O'Day 30...I think.

After a number of years being boatless, my wife and I are in early stages of beginning to look at boats. One that has caught our eye says it is an 1984 O'Day 32. It is not a center cockpit, and below deck pictures seem to be similar to a 39, so I'm wondering if it is really a 30.

I am much more familiar with Catalina's, but also love the lines of the O'Day's. What are your overall impression of the O'Day 30's? Are there some typical issues we need to be on look out for?

Looking for a boat we can slip out of town and weekend on in the marina as well as do some overnight/week long vacations.

Thanks in advance...

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I'm not familiar with an O'Day 32 that is not a center cockpit and I think they only made those until 1979. That doesn't mean they don't exist. Is it maybe a 322?

Feb 27, 2021
O'Day 30 Wilmington
The layout doesn't match the 322, based on the photos I've seen. But looks just like the 30...forward head, gally to port as you descend from companion way.

Sep 11, 2016
O'Day 30 Halifax, Nova Scotia
Can you post a photo of the interior.
FYI my profile photo is a pair of O'Day 30's (Pre 1980 however)

Feb 27, 2021
O'Day 30 Wilmington
Hey Robert...here are a couple of photos that were with the Craigslist ad. At this point it is more curiosity as the seller has not responded to my questions or request to see the boat. Perhaps they are out of contact and I'll hear back sometime. Based on what I can see, I am almost certain it has to be a 30. A 30 is fine, but it does raise questions as to why he lists it as a 32...

Attachments

Sep 11, 2016
I'd ask more questions, or (my reference only) pictures of the outside.

The interior that you showed is more pre-1980 30's, with the sink not being visible from the cockpit. (Tucked under the companionway) Post-1980 the sink was visible from outside or "next to the bench seating."

I had a theory that the post'er actually misspelled "O'Day 30" from what is really an "O'Day 302" - now I'm not so sure.

Feb 27, 2021
O'Day 30 Wilmington
Thanks, Robert. I am not very familiar with O'Days at all. Our previous, though much smaller boat, was a Catalina and in my searching am probably much more familiar with them. Which is why I have come here looking for some help. That said, I do like the lines and look of the O'Day...which at least gets me to a starting point. If I hear back from this seller and we look at that boat, I certainly have more and more questions. I'm not sure if it is ignorance/lack of knowledge on their part or something less trustworthy.

Sep 11, 2016
I'll drop a few notes, and others may disagree on some. It's my opinion.

1. The keels are solid (No issues like "C&C Smile" - Google it on C&C's)
2. The Hull are fiberglass (Not layered with wood)
Big item: "Below waterline does not have some big cost problems that other manufacturers do"
3. Cabin is spacious as larger boats, likely due to good "Beam" measurements.
4. You won't win any races.
Big Item: "Its a cruiser and its comfortable. It's no racer."
5. The "Walk around" is good, we bought because we have 4 children and a person can walk without problem forward and back around the deck. (I hope that makes sense. No shimmy'ing around stuff to wander forward.)
6. If it's mated with a decent Yanmar or popular diesel, then it's a solid foundation.
Big Item: "I consider these above items analogous to buying a house and checkmarks on Good Foundation, Good roof and good heat source. Everything else is minor. Again... I hope that makes sense. )

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
+1 for everything Robert said. I’ll add a couple more:
- Although O’Day hulls were solid glass the decks were not. They used a balsa or sometimes plywood core, and generally did not use solid glass sections where there were deck penetrations. As a result deck rot around things like stanchions, shrouds, jib tracks, and steering pedestals are not uncommon. Just something to be aware of when considering and surveying one.
- On larger boats (at least 28+ I think) the shrouds are carried by stainless tie rods down to the pan, so there are no concerns about chainplates bolted into rotting wood bulkheads.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Hey Robert...here are a couple of photos that were with the Craigslist ad. At this point it is more curiosity as the seller has not responded to my questions or request to see the boat. Perhaps they are out of contact and I'll hear back sometime. Based on what I can see, I am almost certain it has to be a 30. A 30 is fine, but it does raise questions as to why he lists it as a 32...
FWIW those photos look nearly identical to the interior of my 1985 O'Day 31

May 17, 2004
The 31 was, if I remember correctly, the successor to the 30 with a swim platform added but no other significant changes.

The only other clue I see is the wooden slats above the settees. I think in mid-85 they changed that to enclosed storage boxes. 85 was also the first year they made the 31 instead of the 30. Not sure if any early 31’s were made with the old style slats.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
The 31 was, if I remember correctly, the successor to the 30 with a swim platform added but no other significant changes.

The only other clue I see is the wooden slats above the settees. I think in mid-85 they changed that to enclosed storage boxes. 85 was also the first year they made the 31 instead of the 30. Not sure if any early 31’s were made with the old style slats.
"Not sure if any early 31’s were made with the old style slats."

That is the one major difference between the photos and my 31. I have the enclosed storage boxes.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
+1 for everything Robert said. I’ll add a couple more:
- Although O’Day hulls were solid glass the decks were not. They used a balsa or sometimes plywood core, and generally did not use solid glass sections where there were deck penetrations. As a result deck rot around things like stanchions, shrouds, jib tracks, and steering pedestals are not uncommon. Just something to be aware of when considering and surveying one.
- On larger boats (at least 28+ I think) the shrouds are carried by stainless tie rods down to the pan, so there are no concerns about chainplates bolted into rotting wood bulkheads.
I don’t think all O’Day hulls are solid glass…I thought the 40 had a balsa cored hull.

Greg

May 17, 2004
I don’t think all O’Day hulls are solid glass…I thought the 40 had a balsa cored hull.

Greg
I think you’re right about that. I was thinking mostly about the 27-35 models like the OP was considering when I said that.