O'day 28 Head Finished

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
Before finally moving on from this project, I thought I'd post some final images of the finished product. It was long and a PITA, but well worth it. I can now inspect and remove the hoses without ever removing the pan again. Well, actually, this is more for the next guy, LOL. Granted, the possibility exists that something bad will happen to the section of PVC pipe underneath, but I will hopefully address this by being able to periodically flush the system with fresh water via the special fitting in the raw water inlet. In the future, if anyone is looking for the progress pics I've inserted a link to the original thread. These pics will show the installed siphon break which is vented to the skin of the vessel, hanging locker bottom with the removable section, a detail of the new raw water connection, and the new raw water thru-hull. FYI, in case any of you are going to point out that I did not double clamp the raw water hose connections, I consulted with a couple of my ABYC friends and double clamping is only recommended when the barbed fitting is long enough to accommodate them. Otherwise single is acceptable. In this case, none were with a margin that I thought acceptable. What I did do was to use non-perforated clamps which are superior in performance and longevity when compared to their less expensive counterparts.

What's Under Here?

Attachments

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
nicely done. Like the details like the install date written on the hoses. Through hull looks skookum.

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
nicely done. Like the details like the install date written on the hoses. Through hull looks skookum.
Thank you. The original thru-hull was pretty nasty with a rotted plywood backing plate (di rigueur back in the day) and someone along the line put a steel handle on it, which welded the two together. The Groco FBV series valves are not cheap, nor is the backing plate system. However, they meet the latest ABYC requirements and as you can see, the finished product is as good as it gets. Also, why take a chance when you're dealing with a hole in your boat?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Very nice install. Particularly like the tubing leading away from the vacuum breaker vent before it can leak all over the place when subject to positive pressure.

1685418930593.png

The only critique I can offer is that "just to be sure", all hose joints below the water line should be double clamped for, you know, "just to be sure".

You also may want to double clamp the sewage discharge from the pump as a leak there may almost be worse than a sea water leak.

1685419382200.png

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
FYI, in case any of you are going to point out that I did not double clamp the raw water hose connections,

I consulted with a couple of my ABYC friends and double clamping is only recommended when the barbed fitting is long enough to accommodate them. Otherwise single is acceptable. In this case, none were with a margin that I thought acceptable. What I did do was to use non-perforated clamps which are superior in performance and longevity when compared to their less expensive counterparts.

What's Under Here?
..agreed

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Yes, very nice work.

I consulted with a couple of my ABYC friends and double clamping is only recommended when the barbed fitting is long enough to accommodate them. Otherwise single is acceptable. In this case, none were with a margin that I thought acceptable.
I do have a question about not double clamping the below water line fittings at the Groco valve. What is an acceptable margin for a hose barb to hold two clamps? (assuming you mean the length of the hose barb).
I've never heard of that and never had to consider the length of the hose barb on the bronze and Marelon fittings I've bought. They all have been able to hold two appropriately sized hose clamps.
If I had a hose barb that was too short for two clamps and it would be below the waterline I wouldn't use it.
I doubt your insurance company would agree with your assessment of acceptable margin if your boat sinks.

Still, very nice work.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
Regarding the double clamping and length of the barbed fitting, ABYC only recommends double clamping for exhaust and fuel hoses. IMHO, the confusion stems from an ISO (read EU) requirement that this be done, and fittings available in that region reflect this requirement. While it is desirable to double clamp raw water hose that is connected below the waterline, the issue is that if one does so and the clamp is not fully engaged on the fitting, there have been instances where the second clamp has served to pull the hose off the barbed fitting. I have worked with a number of surveyors who have attested to this. Again, ABYC does not require double clamping and in my opinion, renewing hose regularly, using non-perforated clamps and common sense (i.e. keeping the inlet valves closed when not in use) is far better than trying to squeeze two clamps on a fitting that is not long enough. The fitting I got at Hamilton Marine for the GROCO FVB valve would've been marginal in my opinion, and I had to warm the hose with a heat gun to get it on. Bottom line, I think it will be just fine.

I will also say that the barb length on the Raritan (a company I really respect for their engineering knowhow) P101 raw water inlet is clearly not long enough for double clamping. If anyone is not happy with this, take it up with them and let me know how you make out.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Nice install. Only thing you might want to consider is adding a strainer in the line before the intake fitting. I am in a river and occasionally get funny junk that clogs the strainer, but better that than clogging the toilet itself. YMMV of course.

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
Very nice install. Particularly like the tubing leading away from the vacuum breaker vent before it can leak all over the place when subject to positive pressure.

View attachment 216208

The only critique I can offer is that "just to be sure", all hose joints below the water line should be double clamped for, you know, "just to be sure".

You also may want to double clamp the sewage discharge from the pump as a leak there may almost be worse than a sea water leak.

View attachment 216209
Love the work. I don't think I have a tube coming off my vacuum breaker. What does it do?? Never seen white hose before. Interesting. T.

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
Love the work. I don't think I have a tube coming off my vacuum breaker. What does it do?? Never seen white hose before. Interesting.
Normal vented loops have a check valve, which is why the vent line to the skin of the vessel isn't necessary. However, over time the valve can get clogged, or worst case scenario, stuck open. Secondly, if the hose gets clogged downstream, the bad stuff will go outside. The VETUS product is set up so that you can either use the check valve or have a vent hose. If you opt for the latter, you can always add a check valve insert at a later date. I also wanted to make sure that this would never be a potential source of odor. I know a number of folks at VETUS and have always liked their products. More expensive, but worth it IMHO.

Regarding the hose, I got it at Hamilton. I checked with ABYC and a surveyor I know to make sure it was OK. I wanted everything to be white or lighter colors so I can spot leaks and know if its getting dirty.