O’Day 28 cabin top hand rail.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Before putting the boat away last fall I discovered a leak from the cabin starboard hand rail. This year prior to removing the winter cover I removed the interior and exterior hand rails which are bolted together through the cabin top. I discovered that sometime in the life of the boat the rail was removed along with the nuts imbedded in the outside rail. The cavities where the nuts should have gone were filled with epoxy and the teak plugs were put back in using epoxy, not varnish. I pretty much destroyed the outside starboard rail removing it. That rail had a curve to it but it appears those sold at boating supplies on line are straight. Can anyone give an opinion about bending a new rail to match the bolt holes of the original rail? Should I steam It? I don’t want to break a $200 teak rail.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Can you send me a PM with a photo of what your handrail? I have an O'Day 34 that I replaced handrails last season

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I've removed and refinished the handrails before. They will bend to fit, no steaming required.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
My experience is the same as Apex. If the link below is the same length of rail you purchased, it will bend as you install it. More difficult with a shorter run, but at almost 8' it will conform as you work from one end to the other.

Aug 7, 2018
More difficult with a shorter run, but at almost 8' it will conform as you work from one end to the other.

That was my experience also. I did build new rails inside and out from material I bought locally and milled it@ home.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Think about rails made of Starboard instead of teak. Think while varnishing.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
RoyS, I’ve looked at Plasteak hand rails on line and from the photos it seems the only resemblance to teak is the color. I’ve seen plastic teak decking that looks very real but maybe it’s just the online pictures. I found the rail at D&R Marine on line store. The rail itself is about $150 but the shipping adds another $85 to the mix so that makes the plasteak rail more attractive. Have you used the product? My rail is 93” overall with 9 loops and 10” on center.

Aug 7, 2018
Do you have black bakelite squares that sit on the deck with rectangular wood handrail on top of that? my boat 34 was built in 83 and that’s how mine are mounted.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
No, my rails sit directly on the deck and are bolted through the rail “feet”, through the cabin top and through a similar but shorter rail inside the cabin. Pan head 1/4x20 machine screws go through it all into a nylock nut. Nut and bolt head are buried in the plug holes which are then plugged. I like the idea of yours, looks like about 1” square or so. That would be easier to drill up through from inside the cabin. Is that original?

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Think about rails made of Starboard instead of teak. Think while varnishing.
I hate to admit it, but I removed the teak hand rails and teak trim that held down the slider, and replaced them with PVC “wood”.... no more sanding and varnishing in my future!

320B6C6E-13B5-4402-B808-2EA914756EFB.jpegBCA4A32B-2A96-4781-BAE0-F5EB2A8E3BD9.jpeg

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Stainless steel is also an option, like this - 34 Handrails.

Beneteau used synthetic teak for the toe rails on our current boat. Looks good as new after 7 years.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Not sure if he is still in business, but Rudy at D&R Marine in Assonet, MA is the guy you need to speak with. He bought the jigs and inventory of O'day. Here is the number from my records..508-644-3001

If not in stock, he'll make from those jigs..

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I still have the teak but have my granddaughter do the varnishing. I am considering replacement with something other than teak. Wood looks nice but maintenance of wood is not my thing. Starboard hand rails are available on line and I think I could make them if I had to. Something to think about.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I still have the teak but have my granddaughter do the varnishing. I am considering replacement with something other than teak. Wood looks nice but maintenance of wood is not my thing. Starboard hand rails are available on line and I think I could make them if I had to. Something to think about.
There are sunbrella covers that will protect your rails. Really cuts down the maintenance...