??? O'Day 25 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Régis

Mar 3, 2008
Oday 37 Peribonka
Hello! I have a friend in France who asked me what I thought of the O'Day 25. The problem is that O'Day 25 was made ​​in Italy. In your opinion, is it possible that U.S. O'Day has made ​​this model for Italian manufacturer. There are many similarities between this and the O'Day 25 manufactured in the U.S.. Thanks Régis

Attachments

Nov 23, 2012
Oday 25 Texas
It lists an importer on the data plate. Perhaps they imported them into France, did whatever they do to be able to sell it there and stamped it with a French serial number.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The O'day pictured looks like my 25 O'day except for some minor details Mainly the windows. I have 2 salon windows and one head window on each side. Looks like this O'day has four shrouds each side? Mine has two.Don't know if that answers your question though.

Régis

Mar 3, 2008
Oday 37 Peribonka
It also differs from Us O'Day 25 with an outboard engine compartment inside. I think it is an importer who has purchased a patent for the construction of 25 U.S. O'Day. He had to change plans. You can also see the brackets on the sides of crutches to facilitate strandings. Régis

Attachments

Régis

Mar 3, 2008
Oday 37 Peribonka
Additional Photos, you can see the chart table that slides into the mobile berth tomb. A second cockpit locker was built because the bunk below was condemned. So with these additional pictures that Italian O'Day Is the brother of U.S. O'Day? Régis

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Interesting take on a 25. I don't know how stock it is but it's setup nice for cruising. If it was made for the Euro market it most likely wasn't built as a trailer sailer like ours. Probably beefed up in construction given that it's got double lower shrouds. I can't see from the photos how the chainplates are anchored below. Fin keel I'll wager. Might have been made as a 'real' pocket cruiser for Atlantic or Med sailing. I especially like the deck portlight(?) just forward of the hatch; it'll give much needed light in the vee berth. Heavier pulpits. Three lifeline stanctions on each side. What's the wooden frame for on sliding hatch and the wood pieces in the cockpit? Does the OB raise up while sailing? I'd like to see more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Régis

Mar 3, 2008
Oday 37 Peribonka
I do not know more about the boat or on the history of Italy O'Day. I believe this is the same boat but otherwise rig. Thank Régis :confused:

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
One of our club members owned a French O'Day years ago. I think it was a 22' I'm not sure. It had a wooden mast with a bow in it. He claimed that the boat was manufactured in France.

Régis

Mar 3, 2008
Oday 37 Peribonka
Hello, Phillippe gave me more informations.
Pieces of wood in the cockpit are used to keep the engine out of the water when you are at the dock, on the back with the spare mounting kits and is based on the wooden support.
The wooden structure is used to support the liferaft following mandatory for categories of navigation.
For more information, categories 1/2/3/4/5 and 6 no longer, they have been replaced by "less than 6 miles from a shelter" or "more than six miles from a shelter."
Can you tell me about the performance oday 25 to different paces and in different wind, are there any speed polars.
Philippe wants to buy may be the only O'Day 25 in France so the information does not exist. Thank you to provide the info!
Bye Régis

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Joe, When George O'Day started in the boating business it was as an importer of mostly British-built sailboats. He actually never planned to actually build the boats that he sold, but strictly sell boats built by others, the origins of the O'DAY Sailboats that we know and love were all built for O'DAY by Marscot Plastics in New Bedford. The story is that Palmer Scott (of Marscot) eventually (in around 1959-60) decided to merge his fiberglass boat line with Beetle boats (not the wooden catboat "Beetle", but the fiberglass boat company started by the son of the original wooden cat builder.) and he needed to end his building of the O'Days. George O'Day then moved his company to Fall River and his company now built the boats themselves. Later, after Bangor Punta bought out O'DAY around 1965, George O'Day went back to selling imported sailboats under the compnay name "GEMCO", these were again mostly small daysailers. He also had a part in the start of Grampian Yachts in Canada.

Interesting trivia: The company, American Boatbuilding, that was formed by the merge of Marscot and Beetle ultimately faded away, but part of that company re-emerged as "BEE Fiberglass" building various fiberglass items (liquid tanks mostly) in a building just outside the entrance to the Fall River Industrial Park. If you get off Rt 24 North at Airport Rd., the building is/was almost directly across the street from the ramp.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
That sure is interesting trivia Rod. I never knew that. So my friend Al and his son Mike owned one of George's imported boats. We lost my friend Al several years ago of Cancer. They sold that boat and bought an O'Day 20. Mike sailed the O'Day 20 for quite a few years and later bought an 86 O'Day 272 on the other side of the Cape. The PO helped him get the boat through the Canal to Marion Ma., and I helped him sail the boat from Marion to the mouth of the Kickamuit River in Mount Hope Bay where he had his mooring. We got off on a late start out of Marion and decided to spend the night at Hadley's Harbor and get a fresh start in the morning. Later on, he wound up selling the O'Day 20.

julu44

Nov 26, 2012
Oday 25 Lesconil
I am the new owner of this boat.
It arrives has his new port the 12/12/2012, I shall make photos to present it to you better.
I shall have many questions to ask you.
It is certainly the only one O Day 25 in France.
Sorry about my English.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I am the new owner of this boat.
It arrives has his new port the 12/12/2012, I shall make photos to present it to you better.
I shall have many questions to ask you.
It is certainly the only one O Day 25 in France.
Sorry about my English.

Congratulations about your new boat. No worries about your English, my French is worse!

Matt

Régis

Mar 3, 2008
Oday 37 Peribonka
Salut Philippe, quelques mots en français pour te saluer! Espérons que les propriétaires de O'Day 25 pourront répondre à tes interrogations! I am sure that you will have good answers to your questions. Régis

julu44

Nov 26, 2012
Oday 25 Lesconil
Hi
The boat is arrived to Pont l'Abbé the 12/12/2012 but I hope to make the photos.
This is the emotion !
I return the 31 December and Make a album.
Philippe

Status
Not open for further replies.