??? O'Day 25 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

julu44

Nov 26, 2012
Oday 25 Lesconil
Mon safran est déposé dans le cockpit, il fait la même hauteur que la quille et je ne veux pas qu'il tape a marée basse avec le clapot.

julu44

Nov 26, 2012
Oday 25 Lesconil
Mon safran est déposé dans le cockpit, il fait la même hauteur que la quille et je ne veux pas qu'il tape a marée basse avec le clapot.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
English too pleeezzz! Sorry but we r ignorant across the pond. Sorry!

julu44

Nov 26, 2012
Oday 25 Lesconil
My rudder is put down in the cockpit, it makes the same height as the keel and I do not want that it bangs at every tide with the lapping.
Sorry !

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
My rudder is put down in the cockpit, it makes the same height as the keel and I do not want that it bangs at every tide with the lapping.
Sorry !
I replaced my rudder with a rudder that swings up. That are sold on this forum. I didn't like the banging also.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
That is so cool! I've never seen a rudder like that before. A word of caution: Never lubricate the gas strut with WD-40. Also, make sure that the blade is all the way down when you're sailing along. I like the way that rudder is designed. It's different, that's for sure.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
That's a Ruddercraft Rudder

http://ruddercraft.com/catalog/index.php

I'm wondering if Rudy buys Ruddercraft tillers for D&R Marine. The pic on D&R for my 192 tiller looks about the same as the laminated tiller on Ruddercraft's site.

I tie off the rudder on my Boston Whaler Harpoon 4.6, because I don't trust the spring clip that's SUPPOSED to prevent it popping out of the gudgeons in the event of a capsize. If I didn't leash it, and I lost the rudder, the heavy aluminum headstock would take my nice NACA foil to the bottom, and I'd be buying a Ruddercraft... Not looking for that expense - a section of utility cord to the transom mooring ring is cheap insurance!

Brian

That is so cool! I've never seen a rudder like that before. A word of caution: Never lubricate the gas strut with WD-40. Also, make sure that the blade is all the way down when you're sailing along. I like the way that rudder is designed. It's different, that's for sure.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Brian,
You may be able to drill a small hole through your top pintle for a retaining pin.
The first pic shows the small hole in the pintle and the second pic shows the pin I use to keep the rudder in place.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Love my Ruddercraft rudder.
Only thing is that it's a little longer than the stock and with the Great Lakes here nearing record lows it bumps a bit getting in and out. But it swings and the original didn't. Worth every penny.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Brian,
You may be able to drill a small hole through your top pintle for a retaining pin.
The first pic shows the small hole in the pintle and the second pic shows the pin I use to keep the rudder in place.
So far, my tether has been just fine. It's quick enough to tie a bowline in it. I take the rudder off all the time, because I dry sail the Harpoon, so a pin might be a bit more bother. In all honesty, I haven't had a problem with the spring clip holding the rudder in. In fact, this past summer, I used the boat to teach a capsize class for the club. I had her over several times, some on the way to a turtle, and one very definitive total inversion on purpose. I never saw any evidence that my spring clip was going to let the rudder come out of the gudgeons. Still, in a real capsize scenario, things are likely to be a bit more unexpected and vigorous, shall we say, so my little length of cord keeps me happy!

The spring loaded kick up design of a Ruddercraft rudder seems very nice, and will get the whole blade up out of the water. Certainly much better than my stock uphaul line which doesn't quite get it all the way out of the water until there are no people in the boat.

I'm surprised the rudder on my 192 doesn't have an uphaul line. I think I shall have to rig one this summer. There really isn't too much thin water where I sail at the lake, and no place particularly suited to beaching, but I like the idea of more control that an uphaul brings :)

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.