O'day 240 background

Jun 12, 2017
Canadian Sail Craft 33 0 Maple Bay Marina
Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a O'Day 240 1989. No manual so i am looking for one. Interested in the Pearson relationship and how the boat design and materials may have been influenced (if at all). Want to determine the hull and deck composition and any one who has experience with rebedding and deck hull separation on grey hull models. I also am trying to figure out the serial number for 240. I will post pic shortly

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Hi Marlow,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your 240. I don't know where I saw this quote, but I think it is very true: "Wooden sailboats die of old age. Fiberglass sailboats have to be murdered." So I am betting that even with something as seemingly serious as a hull-deck separation, you'll be able to repair it so it will be as strong, or stronger than it was when new.

I have a 240 myself and re-did one of my stanchions over the winter, which involved removing about a 6x12 inch section of saturated core. I did all the work from inside the boat to preserve the non-skid on the exterior. Using plates of g-10 fiberglass, and some West system six-10, I was able to build it back up from the inside to its previous thickness. I then re-drilled and potted holes for a new stanchion, and sealed the bolts using butyl tape.

Regarding a 240 manual, I have one ...it's about 1/2 inch thick, single-sided. Send me a PM and we'll figure out how I can get you a copy.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The question is, did O'day steal the 240's cabin layout from the Beneteau First 235, or the other way around? I love the 240, except for the masthead rig. I wish it were fractional like the Beneteau. Someday, I must get one or the other. Of course, the First 235 would be the better racer/cruiser...

O'day was purchased by Bangor Punta, and later that was purchased by Lear Siegler.

Rudy Nickerson was the parts manager for O'day, and purchased the parts stock to start www.drmarine.com. I suspect he bought out the Pearson stock when they went under.

Pearson filed for bankruptcy in 1991 according to Wikipedia.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The question is, did O'day steal the 240's cabin layout from the Beneteau First 235, or the other way around? I love the 240, except for the masthead rig. I wish it were fractional like the Beneteau. Someday, I must get one or the other. Of course, the First 235 would be the better racer/cruiser...

O'day was purchased by Bangor Punta, and later that was purchased by Lear Siegler.

Rudy Nickerson was the parts manager for O'day, and purchased the parts stock to start www.drmarine.com. I suspect he bought out the Pearson stock when they went under.

Pearson filed for bankruptcy in 1991 according to Wikipedia.
Let's see... the 240 was designed the year the 235 first sold. Hmmm. ;-)

Jun 12, 2017
IMG_20170619_165852.jpg
240 Repair update
The extent of the deck hull separation has been determined and the cause. I will sleep a little easier but need to find a way to have the repair done by someone who know fg repair. The cause of the separation was the improper reinstallation of the starboard shroud mounting bolt that attaches the hull to deck via a 3/4 inch all thread. the bottom bolt was not reinstalled and the all thread was not attached to the hull forcing all the shroud load on deck mount. this occurred some time ago as the shroud mount on the deck had been rebedded. Result the next weakest link was the connection of the deck and hull seam. About 30inch of deck lifted and allowed water to penetrate the hull seal and the wood trim plate on the inside of the hull. I will have to replace about 5 feet of the trim plate as the water moved along the plate and rotted the wood.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
There should be two nuts that secure the rod. One locks the other in place, or is supposed to. Last season I noticed a small amount of stress cracks around the starboard chain plate. From within the cabin I checked the nuts on the rod and realized they had backed off. I then checked the port side and they had also backed off. Torqued them with threadlock.

Apr 4, 2013
Wow... that is certainly something that could cause the type of damage you describe.
I'll have the manual off to you in a day or so... but I'll also post (later) a scan of the hull/deck joint. The short story is that it is not glassed over... it is sealed with marine adhesive (3M 5200 I'm betting), and mechanical fasteners (SS screws). So cleaning and re-sealing the joint with 5200, and adding new SS screws, may be an option. And wouldn't necessarily involve a lot of FG work.

Jun 12, 2017
There should be two nuts that secure the rod. One locks the other in place, or is supposed to. Last season I noticed a small amount of stress cracks around the starboard chain plate. From within the cabin I checked the nuts on the rod and realized they had backed off. I then checked the port side and they had also backed off. Torqued them with threadlock.
i will re torque both as well and adding this to an annual inspection list. this one did not even have the lower nut on at the hull mount

Apr 4, 2013
Hi Marlow,

Attached is a scan from the 240 manual showing the hull/deck joint. You'll see that it is bonded using adhesive and screws... so you may not have to use fiberglass for the repair. Hope this helps.

Best,

Greg
ODAY 240 DECK PG2025.jpg
ODAY 240 DECK PG1024.jpg

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
"Bedded in a polyurethane adhesive" = 3M 5200. Precision sailboats currently use 3M 5200 to seal their hull to deck joints.

Jun 12, 2017
Thanks everyone for responding. i am new to the repair part of sailboats and i have had to perform a steep learning curve.
i found an experienced FB boat repair shop and they will be restoring the original joint and upgrading the seal with epoxy (probably 3m5200. I spent the day taking out the galley so we can working the hull from the inside. Going to use oak for the hull /deck screws.

Jun 12, 2017
Hi Marlow,

Attached is a scan from the 240 manual showing the hull/deck joint. You'll see that it is bonded using adhesive and screws... so you may not have to use fiberglass for the repair. Hope this helps.

Best,

Greg View attachment 137999 View attachment 138000
Thanks Greg received the manual will copy it to PDF file and post it for all 240 owners out there.
PS i will pay you back for the postage, that was above the offer.