Oday 222 running halyards aft to cockpit

Aug 20, 2016
Oday 222 Kingston NY
Hello. I just recently purchased a 1984 Oday 222. The boat was in great condition when I got it and have only had to do minor work and replacements on it. Planning to replace the main halyard on it but I also wanted to run it aft so it can be raised from the cockpit. The Standard layout of the 222 doesn't look like this may be possible. Has anyone had any experience with this or any suggestions on how this may be done?

repawn

Jul 28, 2014
Oday 22 Milwaukee
Hi,
I wish I had a picture of my simple setup - basically a block at the base of the mast - runs to a turning block which leads the halyard to a cleat on the cabin top of my Oday 22 - I can grab the halyard from the cockpit to raise and lower it without too much difficulty. It would be easier with some sort of cam cleat or clutch - but the cleat works for now.

Mar 28, 2016
O'Day 222 Key Largo
Luckily, my 222 had the lines led aft courtesy of a previous owner. These pictures give you an idea of the layout, although I've changed things slightly since the pictures were taken, such as added a topping lift and cam cleat brought aft also. I'll try to take new pics in a couple of weeks.
Joe
IMG_1230.JPG IMG_1232.JPG

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I don't like how Jpniewski's lines run through bullseye fairleads at the front of the hatch sliders. Especially since they turn the lines at almost 90º. Potential for lots more friction. I'd much rather have a deck organizer with sheaves. Problem is, there's just not much room for a deck organizer. Maybe could get away with one cheek block on either side, port for jib, starboard for main halyard.

The simplest way I've seen it done is especially nice on a Z-spars mast. The Z-spars mast was flat across the aft side. This allowed for 90º swiveling cam cleats to be mounted. The halyards can be pulled from back in the cockpit, or in the companionway. On a Dwyer mast, not so easy, because of the oval shape. Swivelers have to be mounted to the sides of the mast. It's how I did my spinnaker halyard. I don't have problems going forward to handle the main, because I'm there anyway pulling down the luff. But with the addition of a downhaul on my hank-on jib, I would really like to have another swiveling cam cleat for the jib halyard. Also, it would make it easier to tighten the jib as the luff stretches a bit with stronger wind, and starts to scallop some. Loosening the wrap on the horn cleat, just to pull maybe 1" of halyard when it's blowing is a PITA. The cam cleat would make this super easy.

Oooh, awesome, I have a picture of the swiveling cam cleat with me! You can see it here with the yellow spin halyard. Note how it's riveted to the side of the mast. I'd have to put a jib cleat below the horn cleat. Pay no attention to the ruler or the green main halyard, this pic was when I was measuring for a new main sail. I've seen a 192 with a Z-spars mast with 3 swiveling cam cleats on the back side, for 3 halyards, and it is a really sweet setup.

IMG_0456 (1).jpg

Mar 28, 2016
O'Day 222 Key Largo
Well yes, there's more friction than if there were turning blocks, but it's a 22 ft sailboat. The jib is a furler that doesn't need to be raised or lowered and the main goes up with hand power until the last 6" or so, and that's what the winch is there for. Going down, the line is slack so there's no real friction, I have way more friction with the sail slugs than the halyard by far. On a bigger boat things would be different, but it works pretty good on the smaller 222. If it didn't I would be re-doing it for sure!
Joe

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Well yes, there's more friction than if there were turning blocks, but it's a 22 ft sailboat. The jib is a furler that doesn't need to be raised or lowered and the main goes up with hand power until the last 6" or so, and that's what the winch is there for. Going down, the line is slack so there's no real friction, I have way more friction with the sail slugs than the halyard by far. On a bigger boat things would be different, but it works pretty good on the smaller 222. If it didn't I would be re-doing it for sure!
Joe
I expected a response like this. :D And of course, after I wrote my piece, I was like "Duh, it's obviously working for Joe, so can't be THAT much friction!" :D

Forgot about furlers. I used a hank on jib, and if I were to go with a furler, I'd get a Scheafer Snap-Furl, which does use the jib halyard to hoist the sail in the furler foil. Gives more control over luff tension than something like a CDI with integrated halyard, which relies on the rigidity of the flexible foil for luff tension.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
I mounted my deck org. (Harken 2) on a piece of wood shaped to fit angles of cabin mounted in about the same place as JP. It extends slightly outside of cabin (couple of in.) giving an angle to winches without deadeyes. Also used a mast orig. from Rudy and a 2 place line clutch. Works well and friction is slight. As most of my sailing is single hand I love it. The only down side is sometimes I have to remove my jib sheet from the winch to tension a jib or main halyard. Not a big deal but it an extra step. I might add that when on long runs and I'm on the windward side of the boat I will run the leeward jib sheet across the cabin cockpit then around the windward winch (not wrapped) then to cleate or to me so I can make small adj. to jib without moving across the cockpit to the lee side. Yes theres friction but not too bad. As I write this I bet JOE is turning over in his grave as he enjoyed swashbuckling around the boat to deal with lines. We all lost much in his passing!

Aug 20, 2016
Oday 222 Kingston NY
First off let me say thanks for the responses and ideas. It's most appreciated and planning to use many of them.
I mounted my deck org. (Harken 2) on a piece of wood shaped to fit angles of cabin mounted in about the same place as JP. It extends slightly outside of cabin (couple of in.) giving an angle to winches without deadeyes. Also used a mast orig. from Rudy and a 2 place line clutch. Works well and friction is slight. As most of my sailing is single hand I love it. The only down side is sometimes I have to remove my jib sheet from the winch to tension a jib or main halyard. Not a big deal but it an extra step. I might add that when on long runs and I'm on the windward side of the boat I will run the leeward jib sheet across the cabin cockpit then around the windward winch (not wrapped) then to cleate or to me so I can make small adj. to jib without moving across the cockpit to the lee side. Yes theres friction but not too bad. As I write this I bet JOE is turning over in his grave as he enjoyed swashbuckling around the boat to deal with lines. We all lost much in his passing!
If you have any pics of how the deck org. is placed it would be great. I was thinking of that approach when looking at the pics from JP.
Thank you everyone again. And if anyone has more ideas I'm all ears.