O'Day 222: Centerboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
You did an excellent job on that George! You'll probably never have to do another thing to that centerboard again except a little bottom paint touch up and maybe check the cotter pin on the pendant line shackle. One thing is for sure. You're not going to lose any wedges. Have a great sailing season!
Joe

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
George,
Great job!
Did the supplier come up with any valid excuses for such a long delay in getting the paint?
I like the specs and price but am not interested in waiting 4-6 months to receive my order.
Thanks!

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
You know I am not sure. When I ordered last fall it was I believe too late in the year for the order to go through. It would of been nice if they informed me of it.

Then I called trying to get an order in this spring and it took them a few weeks to get the order shipped. Shipping for me is usually 10 days.

Last year when I ordered in the spring I had it within 2 weeks.

I think they manufacture in batches and only certain times of the year but could be wrong. The stuff does work really good since all I had to do was scrub down a little at the end of the season to clean her up.

I suggest calling and following up weekly or inquiring when then next batch is available.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
You know I am not sure. When I ordered last fall it was I believe too late in the year for the order to go through. It would of been nice if they informed me of it.

Then I called trying to get an order in this spring and it took them a few weeks to get the order shipped. Shipping for me is usually 10 days.

Last year when I ordered in the spring I had it within 2 weeks.

I think they manufacture in batches and only certain times of the year but could be wrong. The stuff does work really good since all I had to do was scrub down a little at the end of the season to clean her up.

I suggest calling and following up weekly or inquiring when then next batch is available.
Thanks George, will do.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
George,
Great job!
Did the supplier come up with any valid excuses for such a long delay in getting the paint?
I like the specs and price but am not interested in waiting 4-6 months to receive my order.
Thanks!
I've been using this paint for years and I swear by it but in answer to your question, everyone goes through this same thing with this manufacturer. I think he works by himself and his wife takes all the paint orders. He only manufactures one color a month and you need to call them and ask if he has the particular color you want, in stock. If you specify that you want it shipped by the US Postal services, forget it. You'll wait forever. You're better off having it shipped by UPS and pay the extra $20 hazardous waste fee that they charge. Then, you may get it on time to have your boat ready for the water. What I'm seriously thinking of doing is, ordering the paint next month and painting the bottom at the end of September when I pull my boat out. Then it will be all set for next season.
I painted my hull with it last year, and this year I had enough paint left over in the bucket to spot paint my hull, do the water line and all the leading edges.
They claim that you can get three seasons out of just one coat, but I think that is a stretch. Maybe two seasons with spot painting, along with doing the waterline and the leading edges of bow keel, centerboard, and rudder. That's all I did this year and she's in the water.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I've been using this paint for years and I swear by it but in answer to your question, everyone goes through this same thing with this manufacturer. I think he works by himself and his wife takes all the paint orders. He only manufactures one color a month and you need to call them and ask if he has the particular color you want, in stock. If you specify that you want it shipped by the US Postal services, forget it. You'll wait forever. You're better off having it shipped by UPS and pay the extra $20 hazardous waste fee that they charge. Then, you may get it on time to have your boat ready for the water. What I'm seriously thinking of doing is, ordering the paint next month and painting the bottom at the end of September when I pull my boat out. Then it will be all set for next season.
I painted my hull with it last year, and this year I had enough paint left over in the bucket to spot paint my hull, do the water line and all the leading edges.
They claim that you can get three seasons out of just one coat, but I think that is a stretch. Maybe two seasons with spot painting, along with doing the waterline and the leading edges of bow keel, centerboard, and rudder. That's all I did this year and she's in the water.
Thanks Joe.

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Yes that's what I did but only because I had so much still left I figured why not. I also painted a few inches higher than the water line and the rudder. I still have a bit more than half a gallon left which will probably give me enough to do one more quick coat next time I need it.

Jun 14, 2010
oday 222 Milltown, NB
Absolutely great George

You guys must have a resident Photographer :). I am slowly getting used to keeping the camera handy and take pics of everything...almost.

I am looking at installing washers on the pin. Was contemplating using an old thin plastic cutting board but rubber should have a more flex. Getting ready to cast new wedges.

I finally got some play putty from the dollar store and pressed it onto the wedge opening in the keel. Came out much thicker than the OEM one. Will have to allow for the sealant.

Will update with pics the thread on wedges.

Still waiting for some sunshine...atleast to mow the lawn. :)

tom c

Status
Not open for further replies.