O'day 22 Upper Sidestay is SHORT

Feb 27, 2016
O'Day 22 Moored in Hector, NY
I've been sailing (but mostly updating) my O'day 22 over the past 7 years. I haven't had it in the water for a few years (we have young kids, and the summers just became too busy to work on the boat). In preparation for this season, I raised the mast yesterday and discovered that my upper stays are both 6" short of the chain plates. I'm sure I've replaced both of these since I last sailed and I confirmed that they are the standard length for this model boat.

The options I'm considering for this fix are the following:
1. Get new rigging made for the correct length
2. Purchase a stay extender, like the one below
611926.jpg

I'm curious to see if anyone has experience with this issue.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure those are possible solutions that will give you length and connection.

You could also use one of these The stay and the chainplate would slip in-between the stay adjuster.
They come in varied lengths.
1621904423350.png

Be sure that the wire is running fair and not twisted the mast as sometimes happens when you put the boat away for the winter.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't use the tangs you've pictured in your post... they are for a different application. Trailerable sailboats are much easier to rig with the pin style stay adjusters. There are a number of configurations... not pictured above are the "quick release" style, that allow you to slack your rig for downwind trim. They also make it easier to get the pins inserted when setting up or taking down. The pins allow you to make consistent settings, rather than messing with turnbuckles. Here's an example of quick release adjusters. In jssailems post, I would recommend the first example, on the left, for the forestay... but not the shrouds the other two and the ones below work well for shrouds and backstay. Have fun.