O'day 22 Mast Location

Feb 27, 2016
O'Day 22 Moored in Hector, NY
I have owned an O'day 22 for about 5 years now. I have always found it funny that my mast was not located directly above the wood bulkhead. I have been doing some deck repairs and am preparing to reinstall the mast in the same location. I then came across a section of the boat showing the mast aligned with the bulkhead. Has my mast been in the wrong location the entire time?

Attached is a photo of the section and where the base plate of my mast has been mounted.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Is there evidence that the mast step has been moved? Holes in the deck? A patched deck, i.e., different nonskid? Are the chainplates aligned with the spreaders? Is your boat a 1979 or later?

On the left side of the photo there appears to be a compression post. It may just look like trim on the bulkhead. The compression post will transfer the load from the deck to the keel. How is the bottom of the post secured, is it to the cabin sole or is there a beefier support under neath? Is there any deformation of the deck near the mast step?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Good questions.... or at least I'd be asking the same one....That does not seem right.

I found this pic...
1578347984337.png

Does the mast step in this pic look like it is in the same location as yours?

Jan 19, 2010
You should post this over in the "Ask an O'day Owner" forum. I'm betting someone there can give you a pic of the inside of their boat.

jimh2

Nov 17, 2018
Compac 27 Steele Creek Marina Kerr Lake
I had an O'Day 22 years ago and my mast was over top of the bulkhead on the compression post. If I can find an old picture, I'll post it.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I had a O 22, 1980 model. I believe my mast was directly over the bulkhead. I will see if I can find any photos.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Before you simply move the mast over the bulkhead, think about your rigging and her sailing characteristics. If changing the rake a couple of inches can affect her helm, think of what moving the step that much could do.
You'll need a longer forestay and shorter backstay. How close is the boom to the backstay? It will be closer as the angle of the backstay changes. Where are your upper shrouds located? Are the spreaders swept or inline? From the picture rgranger posted, it looks like they should be inline.
You've sailed her, you know how she sails and rigs as she is. There is a lot to consider when moving a mast.
On the Mariner's Class Association forum, it was recently discovered that the mast position varies several inches from boat to boat. The reasons are only guessed at. Probably a lack of quality control in the factory, or maybe there is some other equation to mast placement besides design measurement.
Anyhow, if all else is fine and you are worried about deck deflection, it may be more cost and labor efficient to brace the cabintop and leave the mast where it was.

Just some things to consider.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Unless you can find evidence the mast step has been moved from its original position, I think you will be OK. I'm assuming the mast step is located where the large aluminum backing plate is located. It might be a worthwhile to remove and inspect the mast step and make sure it is well sealed and the core is dry.

There is probably a wood core, in the deck at the mast step, if that should get wet and rot away, then there will be an issue with the deck's ability to support the mast.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
The original 22s I believe prior to 79 where masthead rigs. The mast bases may of sat above the bulkhead on those. The more I think about it and looking at the photo attached the base was ahead of my bulkhead on mine (1980 fractional rig). I recall removing my bulkhead to stain and varnish it. I slightly jacked up the mast base in order to remove the bulkhead. I recall the jack being placed in front of the bulkhead.

it appears your base is located at the original position.

Feb 27, 2016
Good questions.... or at least I'd be asking the same one....That does not seem right.

I found this pic...
View attachment 173639

Does the mast step in this pic look like it is in the same location as yours?
I have seen that pic. Actually mine definitely looks to be closer to the hatch than in this photo.

Attachments

Feb 27, 2016
Is there evidence that the mast step has been moved? Holes in the deck? A patched deck, i.e., different nonskid? Are the chainplates aligned with the spreaders? Is your boat a 1979 or later?

On the left side of the photo there appears to be a compression post. It may just look like trim on the bulkhead. The compression post will transfer the load from the deck to the keel. How is the bottom of the post secured, is it to the cabin sole or is there a beefier support under neath? Is there any deformation of the deck near the mast step?
I do not see any evidence of it being moved. The non skid seems to be in the original orientation and I do not see any patched holes. I started this whole project because there was some deflection on the deck where the mast sits. I tore out a lot of soaked core and replaced it. I've never inspected the bottom of the compression post. It does not appear to be fastened to the sole.

As far as the chainplates go, I would say they are significantly aft of the spreaders. See attached photos (after some damage in a storm, unfortunately). The boat is a 1980.

Attachments

Feb 27, 2016
Unless you can find evidence the mast step has been moved from its original position, I think you will be OK. I'm assuming the mast step is located where the large aluminum backing plate is located. It might be a worthwhile to remove and inspect the mast step and make sure it is well sealed and the core is dry.

There is probably a wood core, in the deck at the mast step, if that should get wet and rot away, then there will be an issue with the deck's ability to support the mast.
Yep, that's actually what started this whole process. There was some depression in the deck under the mast. It was wet and I replaced it with a new core.

Feb 27, 2016
The original 22s I believe prior to 79 where masthead rigs. The mast bases may of sat above the bulkhead on those. The more I think about it and looking at the photo attached the base was ahead of my bulkhead on mine (1980 fractional rig). I recall removing my bulkhead to stain and varnish it. I slightly jacked up the mast base in order to remove the bulkhead. I recall the jack being placed in front of the bulkhead.

it appears your base is located at the original position.
Interesting! thank you.

Jan 19, 2010
I think what @Will Gilmore said about the can of worms you might be opening if you move your rig is worth considering. Does she sail well now? Moving the mast back will increase weather helm... you will need all new rigging and probably a new sails to balance the rig. If she is sailing well now, then I'd focus on ways to support the mast base as it is.... maybe you could transfer some of the load to the bulkhead using a foot...

1578408338329.png

Feb 27, 2016
I think what @Will Gilmore said about the can of worms you might be opening if you move your rig is worth considering. Does she sail well now? Moving the mast back will increase weather helm... you will need all new rigging and probably a new sails to balance the rig. If she is sailing well now, then I'd focus on ways to support the mast base as it is.... maybe you could transfer some of the load to the bulkhead using a foot...

View attachment 173695
That is an excellent suggestion! Thank you.

Jan 19, 2010
I've hired a local welder on two occasions to make modifications for me. I was surprised at how economical it was. I had a SS boarding ladder repaired for only $90.

I think you could take a few pictures and a cardboard mock-up and have a welder make you something along these lines....

1578410661711.png

Add a cross beam with gromet and you have a nice place to hang a lamp or something.... and you will increase the effectiveness of the bracket.

1578410849563.png

Jan 19, 2010
Ahhhhh.... I just found this on Amazon for $10

1578410993755.png

You could modify this to work I think....

Feb 27, 2016
Ahhhhh.... I just found this on Amazon for $10

View attachment 173700

You could modify this to work I think....

Yes I could! Thank you for your effort. And that looks infinitely better than a chunk of wood as you enter the v berth