O'Day 20 Outboard Motor Recommendation

Mar 11, 2015
Oday O'Day 20 Vincennes
We recently purchased a 1974 O'Day 20 and we're in the process of refurbishing. What size outboard motor would you recommend? We will primarily sail on moderately sized lakes, i.e. Lake Monroe, IN; Kentucky Lake; Lake Carlyle, IL; and eventually Lake Michigan. Thanks!

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
We have a Hunter 23.5 with a Tohatsu 6 horse 4 cycle outboard and sail on similar lakes as you, and we typically only motor in and out of the dock. My only thought is Lake Michigan, in the past when I've sailed there with other similar boats most were running an 8 or 9 horse motor. Personally anything in the 6-9 horse range will do well for you. The advantage with the 8-9 horse motors is most have alternators and electric start.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I haven't seen an O'Day 20 (19.6' LOA, 1600lb) but I do own an O'Day Mariner (19.2 LOA, 1430lb). It has a Suzuki 2.5 HP motor that is sufficient. After about 1/2 throttle, my boat will not go any faster. I would not put a heavier motor on my boat, nor would I spend extra dollars for more horsepower even if there was no weight penalty. I have not had that boat in a strong current or tide situation.

To compare the other dimensions see:
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=119
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=41

BTW - my motor does not have a reverse gear. It took about 5 minutes of practice for me to prefer having the ability to spin the motor 360 degrees in lieu of a reverse gear.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A longshaft in the 2-6 HP range .. 4HP is a great round number for a boat like the O'Day 20..

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
We had a Johnson 4DLX long-shaft on out old CAL 21 a similar boat to the O'DAY 20. I would say a 4-6 hp long-shaft would be about right and that is the typical size used o nmost O'DAY 20s that I've seen. A couple had 9.9 hp outboards but that seems like overkill to me and the extra weight just adds to the strss on hte transom and bracket.

Aug 31, 2015
Oday 19 Mystic, ct
I have a oday 19 and use an old evenrude 9.9 two stroke. It's overkill but got it for free.

Works great.

repawn

Jul 28, 2014
Oday 22 Milwaukee
I have an Oday 22 and use a 5hp 2-stroke Mariner. I am on Lake Michigan and it has always been enough power.