O'day 19 mainsheet system change.

Sep 10, 2019
O'day O'day 19 Pistakee lake
Has anybody moved the mainsheet controls from the back stay to the cockpit floor?
The end of boom sheeting system seems awkward to me.

Jul 25, 2018
O'day 19 MK-II Weekender Narragansett Bay
As a O'day 19 owner I've never given it a thought, since I have not had any issues with the mainsheet controls placement.
With the tiller in one hand and the mainsheet in the other I find its backstay location convenient.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I have a 192 but it’s the same mainsheet setup and I think if it was on the floor it would definitely be in the way especially for the tiller.

The end boom sheeting keeps the cockpit clear and gives you more room to move around.

Sep 10, 2019
As a O'day 19 owner I've never given it a thought, since I have not had any issues with the mainsheet controls placement.
With the tiller in one hand and the mainsheet in the other I find its backstay location convenient.
This is the first O'day I've owned. The 2 other boats both had the mainsheet forward of the tiller on the floor.
I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Patrick, I've got a 192 as well, same setup. The thing I thought through time and again was how to rig a traveler. 3 options: Keep it end boom with a raised traveler bridge across the transom (to clear the tiller), go mid-boom and have a traveler across the cockpit, or go mid-boom and try to travel on the flat bridge deck. Bridge deck wouldn't give enough travel, cockpit would prevent napping in the cockpit, and across the transom would be annoying to install, particularly on starboard side where the fuel locker is, and would make climbing in from the swim ladder more of an issue. In the end, I have kept it as stock, and rigged an easily adjustable topping lift, allowing me to vang sheet balancing the boom height between vang and topping lift, and thus separating leech tension and twist control from the mainsheet, allowing the mainsheet to solely adjust angle of attack. Sometimes when I really need to pinch an extra degree or so, especially in light wind, I will stand up and pull the boom up past the centerline a bit. Like, say I needed to be sure to clear a headland. Overall, with new-ish sails, you'll probably find the 19 sails pretty well as configured stock.

Sep 10, 2019
Patrick, I've got a 192 as well, same setup. The thing I thought through time and again was how to rig a traveler. 3 options: Keep it end boom with a raised traveler bridge across the transom (to clear the tiller), go mid-boom and have a traveler across the cockpit, or go mid-boom and try to travel on the flat bridge deck. Bridge deck wouldn't give enough travel, cockpit would prevent napping in the cockpit, and across the transom would be annoying to install, particularly on starboard side where the fuel locker is, and would make climbing in from the swim ladder more of an issue. In the end, I have kept it as stock, and rigged an easily adjustable topping lift, allowing me to vang sheet balancing the boom height between vang and topping lift, and thus separating leech tension and twist control from the mainsheet, allowing the mainsheet to solely adjust angle of attack. Sometimes when I really need to pinch an extra degree or so, especially in light wind, I will stand up and pull the boom up past the centerline a bit. Like, say I needed to be sure to clear a headland. Overall, with new-ish sails, you'll probably find the 19 sails pretty well as configured stock.
I agree that a traveler across the cockpit would get a bit cumbersome . I was thinking id just ad a boombail, and run the sheet through a controller on a swivel on the cockpit floor. Without a traveler, the main would stay well below centerline if I was going to weather. Napping in the cockpit is much more important than sail trim.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I agree that a traveler across the cockpit would get a bit cumbersome . I was thinking id just ad a boombail, and run the sheet through a controller on a swivel on the cockpit floor. Without a traveler, the main would stay well below centerline if I was going to weather. Napping in the cockpit is much more important than sail trim.
Really not sure what having the mainsheet led to the floor of the cockpit will accomplish for you. Keeping it end boom also keeps the cockpit free. I would not do anything to clutter the cockpit unless it would materially improve performance, and in my case, the open cockpit for "liveability" is more important.

Sep 10, 2019
Really not sure what having the mainsheet led to the floor of the cockpit will accomplish for you. Keeping it end boom also keeps the cockpit free. I would not do anything to clutter the cockpit unless it would materially improve performance, and in my case, the open cockpit for "liveability" is more important.
The majority of my sailing is singlehanded. It would be purely a comfort thing for me since every boat I have ever sailed has been rigged that way. I may try it, and if it doesnt work, I can always move it back.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
The majority of my sailing is singlehanded. It would be purely a comfort thing for me since every boat I have ever sailed has been rigged that way. I may try it, and if it doesnt work, I can always move it back.
I know the feeling, the mainsheet behind me on my 192 was definitely weird at first but it’s growing on me now. Give it time and it’ll become the new normal for you.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I know the feeling, the mainsheet behind me on my 192 was definitely weird at first but it’s growing on me now. Give it time and it’ll become the new normal for you.
This is true. Most of my dinghies have had mid boom sheeting with a swiveling jammer on the back of the centerboard trunk. Sailing gives me the tiller in one hand and the mainsheet in the other.

With the end boom sheeting, I don't often hold the sheet in hand, mainly because I don't often sail in really gusty conditions, and because I have ballast. Here's my preferred sailing style, unless there's another boat in sight in which case it's on like Donkey Kong (because the definition of a yacht race is two or more vessels in sight of each other...)

IMG_0730.jpg

The rigging plans for the pram I just built has the mainsheet coming off end of the boom and turning forward at a block on the rudder head. I decided to modify it with a bridle across the transom, then forward along the boom, more like the other racing dinghies I've had. With the little standing lug rig, it's different, and kinda weird. Still trying to figure out how to get it to sail to windward as well as possible. Dumping the sheet and the wind is pretty instantaneous, and conversely it's very easy to over sheet. Maybe I need some telltales on the luff, but the mast is right about where I'd want them to be...

IMG_0657.jpg

Sep 10, 2019
This is true. Most of my dinghies have had mid boom sheeting with a swiveling jammer on the back of the centerboard trunk. Sailing gives me the tiller in one hand and the mainsheet in the other.

With the end boom sheeting, I don't often hold the sheet in hand, mainly because I don't often sail in really gusty conditions, and because I have ballast. Here's my preferred sailing style, unless there's another boat in sight in which case it's on like Donkey Kong (because the definition of a yacht race is two or more vessels in sight of each other...)

View attachment 169623

The rigging plans for the pram I just built has the mainsheet coming off end of the boom and turning forward at a block on the rudder head. I decided to modify it with a bridle across the transom, then forward along the boom, more like the other racing dinghies I've had. With the little standing lug rig, it's different, and kinda weird. Still trying to figure out how to get it to sail to windward as well as possible. Dumping the sheet and the wind is pretty instantaneous, and conversely it's very easy to over sheet. Maybe I need some telltales on the luff, but the mast is right about where I'd want them to be...

View attachment 169622
Great pictures!

Jul 25, 2018
O'day 19 MK-II Weekender Narragansett Bay
I enjoy sailing in gusty conditions so I typically hold the mainsheet in one hand and the tiller in the other.
The attached picture was from a low wind day which allowed me to take the picture.

Attachments

Last edited: