Oceanis Folding Transom/Swim Platform Issue

Dec 7, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Annapolis
Have a little problem I need to solve and hoping someone has a little knowledge on the topic.

The folding transom on my recently purchased Oceanis is not fully functional and I'm being told by the yard where the boat is in Miami that the entire actuator needs to be replaced and the part might not be here by the time the delivery Captain shows up to bring the boat up to Annapolis at the end of next week. Currently, the transom is not fully back up in it's locking position. It's probably about 5-6 inches out of place. You can still sit on the stern bench but the stern lifelines will not fully reach in it's current position. Honestly, I'm not sure it's the actuator and think it may be a limit switch that could be jumped to get the transom back in place. Unfortunately, I'm not down there and can't troubleshoot it myself. After searching the web with no success, my question is.....Is there a way to manually raise the transom? Seems like there should be.

Thanks again
Mike

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our neighbor has a 45, but unfortunately it's not in the water now and he's not around to ask. I did find this in an online manual for the 48, about the manual procedure. Yours could be similar.
Screenshot_20190226-122609.png

Dec 7, 2016
You're awesome. The actuator looks the same as the 45 to me. Will forward this on to the delivery Captain to see if he can handle it. Thanks again!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Denison Yachts operates a Beneteau dealership in Ft. Lauderdale and a local charter base in Miami. Between the two of them they should be able to find you a tech who can get out to the boat and and remedy the situation.

Dec 7, 2016
Talked to the delivery Captain yesterday and he said it was no big deal and he has had to manually fuss with inoperable folding transoms in the past.

Jun 3, 2011
Hunter 50cc St Petersburg FL
Have a little problem I need to solve and hoping someone has a little knowledge on the topic.

The folding transom on my recently purchased Oceanis is not fully functional and I'm being told by the yard where the boat is in Miami that the entire actuator needs to be replaced and the part might not be here by the time the delivery Captain shows up to bring the boat up to Annapolis at the end of next week. Currently, the transom is not fully back up in it's locking position. It's probably about 5-6 inches out of place. You can still sit on the stern bench but the stern lifelines will not fully reach in it's current position. Honestly, I'm not sure it's the actuator and think it may be a limit switch that could be jumped to get the transom back in place. Unfortunately, I'm not down there and can't troubleshoot it myself. After searching the web with no success, my question is.....Is there a way to manually raise the transom? Seems like there should be.

Thanks again

Mike
Hi Mike,
I owned an Oceanis 45 and chartered it in a charter fleet. There is no way to manually raise the platform without disconnecting the actuator. While the boat was out on charter it failed and one of the boat techs went on site and just disconnected it. The platform can then be raised by hand and then locked in place with the normal locking mechanism. Then you should be able to better trouble shoot it when it has been delivered. We had to replace the actuator. I personally think this was a design flaw not to have an easy way to manually lift the platform without the actuator.

Jim

Dec 7, 2016
Thanks Jim,

Fortunately the part arrived in time and the transom is operational once again. Definitely seems like there should be a way to manually operate it as a backup. Might have to see if I can figure something out once I have the boat home.