Oceanis 37: stern tube/stuffing box vent or feed pipe?

Dec 14, 2016
Beneteau 37 Chichester
On our Oceanis 37 there is a small bronze nipple on the stern tube, just aft of the stern gland seal, with a hose attached. The hose is connected to the top of a Vetus Air vent (AIRVENT_V_H_installation_instruction.pdf (vetus.com) ), I'm note sure whether it a "V" or an "H" model. As far as I know this is how the boat was delivered from the factory.
The manual shows the nipple connected via a pipe a through hull, which I think could just lead a bubble of air in the pipe.
Does anyone know the purpose of this connection to the stern tube? Does it let air out, or feed water in please?

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The Volvo stuffing box manual (attached) says "ensure that sea water is circulating through the inside of the seal to ensure full lubrication that will secure the [sealing] function......Some installations may require extra water supply to offer proper [sealing] function. Your Volvo Penta dealer can also confirm. This thread on your stern tube might be informative (1) Check your stern tube water nipple | Sailboat Owners Forums

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2016
Beneteau 37 Chichester
Thanks @sail sfbay

I have an update on this....I have given some incorrect information....

On re-inspection the hose from the top of the air vent goes to the bilge and there is a second hose (of exactly the same type!) that goes from the back of the heat exchanger to the stern tube nipple. So it is indeed a water feed for the stern tube.

Mystery solved!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks @sail sfbay

I have an update on this..there is a second hose (of exactly the same type!) that goes from the back of the heat exchanger to the stern tube nipple. So it is indeed a water feed for the stern tube
Beneteau must have changed their design, originally, they installed a dedicated thru Hull fitting & ball Valve assembly, specifically for the shaft seal cooling / lubricating water. The thru Hull fitting was adjacent to the shaft; the stern tube nipple hose was secured to the thru Hull valve & nipple with double hose clamps.

Dec 14, 2016
Beneteau 37 Chichester
Beneteau must have changed their design, originally, they installed a dedicated thru Hull fitting & ball Valve assembly, specifically for the shaft seal cooling / lubricating water. The thru Hull fitting was adjacent to the shaft; the stern tube nipple hose was secured to the thru Hull valve & nipple with double hose clamps.
Yes, this is what is shown in the manual. I attached the page to my original post. I suspect this arrangement could just lead to a bubble of air in the pipe, which may be why they changed it.