Oceanis 331 Keel crack

May 16, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 331 Close to home
Hi, looking for some recommendations on how to repair and suggestions for root cause.
thanks!

Attachments

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Man, that is strange considering that it is iron. Have you probed it at all?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Strange indeed. Was there any rust weeping from the crack that was cleaned off? Maybe there’s fairing compound there that is splitting?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO, Anemone. That is a sad sight for you, I'm sure, but the good news is you've joined an amazing crew of skilled and knowledgeable sailors ready to help.

That looks like Winter ice. What caused the initial crack that allowed the water infiltration, I can't say, but I'm inclined to think 'flaw in the original poor.' @dLj is a materials engineer and might have a better idea.

I'm not that experienced with metals. I'd grind it out to see what's going on better, then figure out what was best to fill it with. Not sure if cast iron is easy to weld, I think not. Then, I'd fill the crack with something like JB Weld and epoxy barrier coat it over.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I wonder if there was some fairing compound in the original casting profile. The keel itself originally had an epoxy coating that has been known to have blistering issues. That said, its probably not a structural failure. Grind it to expose bare metal, use primocoat (sp), then several coats of interprotect2000 following instructions, and bottom paint.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Back when I was actively looking at 331’s to purchase, I found that earlier shoal draft keels were lead and the full length keels were cast iron. Your keel appears to be a shoal draft model. What type of metal is it made of? As Doug mentioned, if it is cast iron, it my be that the epoxy coating is cracking/delaminating. Grind it down to bare metal to determine what you’re dealing with.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Your photo is not allowing us to see what's actually going on. You'll have to remove paint and begin to expose what is happening. As others have suggested, it may simply be faring compound. You'll also need to know if you are dealing with a lead keel or a cast iron keel. In order to know these things, you'll have to start exposing the underlying materials that you have there.

dj

May 16, 2020
Welcome to SBO, Anemone. That is a sad sight for you, I'm sure, but the good news is you've joined an amazing crew of skilled and knowledgeable sailors ready to help.

That looks like Winter ice. What caused the initial crack that allowed the water infiltration, I can't say, but I'm inclined to think 'flaw in the original poor.' @dLj is a materials engineer and might have a better idea.

I'm not that experienced with metals. I'd grind it out to see what's going on better, then figure out what was best to fill it with. Not sure if cast iron is easy to weld, I think not. Then, I'd fill the crack with something like JB Weld and epoxy barrier coat it over.

-Will (Dragonfly)
thanks Will.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Where is the boat located? Just curious.

dj

May 16, 2020
Toronto Canada.

After seeing a few of the comments (thanks everyone), I flipped through some of my other photos and saw some cracking on the other side.

Attachments

Aug 18, 2019
Beneteau 473 Greece
That is a Cast Iron /Steel keel - that is DEFINATELY a bit of corrosion that has permeated the filler and the rust has lifted the filler and epoxy fairing . They are generally rough castings and need fairing . I have to do my keel every 3 to 5 years . It is really not an issue - do it when possible . Beneteau 473 - Garth Gregory

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
That is a Cast Iron /Steel keel - that is DEFINATELY a bit of corrosion that has permeated the filler and the rust has lifted the filler and epoxy fairing.
Not so sure about that. If it was rust on cast iron, there would be stains present; I see it on my cast iron keel every few years on haulout. As you stated, no big thing, grind down to bare metal & recoat with epoxy & apply antifouling paint.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Keels can come out of the mold pretty rough and there's often a lot of fairing compound on them. I think that's what's failed and letting water get to the iron. As said above, I'd grind it back to shiny metal, prime, fair, and paint.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
OK, hold on here. I have a B331 with the shoal keel in Nova Scotia. These were made of lead (which is a real plus). The deep draft had the typical iron keel. At the same place as you are showing, my lead keel has a funny ridge. It looks like some material that has deteriorated, but it is not lead. I think it was some fairing compound on that part. It looks like someone was poking around at it. It is not smooth like yours.

You will have to scrape and poke around a bit to see exactly what you are dealing with. Take it one step at a time and get back to us with what you find.

May 16, 2020
OK, hold on here. I have a B331 with the shoal keel in Nova Scotia. These were made of lead (which is a real plus). The deep draft had the typical iron keel. At the same place as you are showing, my lead keel has a funny ridge. It looks like some material that has deteriorated, but it is not lead. I think it was some fairing compound on that part. It looks like someone was poking around at it. It is not smooth like yours.

You will have to scrape and poke around a bit to see exactly what you are dealing with. Take it one step at a time and get back to us with what you find.
will do and thanks for your help!

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Looks lead to me, they came both lead and cast (shoal) same as my boat . The boat beside me(331) is shoal draft and is cast iron as the rust is coming thru. You need to sand it back first and determine if your lead or cast and or is it just fairing compound . Cast if it had a crack and froze with water in the crack would most likely split right off the keel. Lead may just open up is its soft and stretches . Take a magnet to it if its lead it won't stick. If it is lead mix up some west epoxy with 404 filler making it like peanut butter and fill it ,sand it and recoat with vc17. If it is cast which I doubt ,it can be welded with nickel rod . grind it smooth coat por15 , 2000e and then vc17.Or its just fairing compound get some more fill it and sand it

Last edited:
May 16, 2020
marine services at my club think this might be because I ran a ground? I seriously doubt it, I don't think I was even close to shallow waters last year. Would the haul out / placement on cradle be a culprit?

Here's a another picture -you'll see cracking on the top edge and the opposite side of the keel. I'll start the grinding on Thursday.

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I can’t imagine how a grounding or haul out issue would cause damage there. That’s not a place exposed to the ground, or near a joint that would be susceptible to stress. I’m still guessing either the fairing compound is separating, or that it’s a lead keel with a void in the pour that opened up. Looking closer at the first picture it looks like the edge of the keel is lifting a little above the crack, which makes me lean toward it being lead that’s deformed away from the crack.