O' Day 20 outboard size

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I just took a quick look online and it appears that many of the bolt on motor mounts are listed with a max HP and WEIGHT.

I‘m having some difficulty envisioning the acceleration force in your 5 ft sea example, is the motor stored in its position close to the transom or extended out and down? In either position the weight isn’t “jolting” down as the boat would not be on a plane as it crests :)

Look at older boats and the motor mounts ratings were only in horsepower. We have dunked the powerhead under water falling off the backside of a wave in very rough conditions. It happened so fast the engine did not skip a beat as it surfaced. The vertical forces imparted to the motor mount were quite high. Believe what you must.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Look at older boats and the motor mounts ratings were only in horsepower. We have dunked the powerhead under water falling off the backside of a wave in very rough conditions. It happened so fast the engine did not skip a beat as it surfaced. The vertical forces imparted to the motor mount were quite high. Believe what you must.
I have apparently touched a nerve???

You made very definitive statements in your posts, I made some that had a different opinion. I thought that was OK here at SBO???

Let’s move on and agree to disagree.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I debated this for a year before I dropped big bucks on a mercury (yes . . . i know it’s made by Tohatus), 5 hp propane sail pro For my CaprI 18 (Catalina). so many trade offs!

Smaller would have been plenty, but a lot of small outboards don’t have a reverse gear, and I didn’t want to try to dock with one hand on the tiller and the other trying to spin the motor around in circles. The sail pro has a little alternator that may or may not keep my battery topped off, I don’t use much battery, but i also try not to motor much - and usually at marina speed (which I’m assuming produces something like zero amps). Also has a larger prop which actually does make a difference at low speed.

I like that the propane motor is 50x cleaner than a very clean gas motor - probably 100x cleaner than the one it replaced. I also like that one 11lb cylinder will likely last me a whole season.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You made very definitive statements in your posts, I made some that had a different opinion. I thought that was OK here at SBO???
Yes we are all about different opinions and the person with the question gets to choose the answer that best fits his situation. What is not OK is to address some other person's post to dispute their answer especially when you misinterpret the point they are trying to make. My mistake, sometimes I try to clarify some concepts about sailing that I have learned in my 50 years of sailing and forget that we all may have different frameworks of experience.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Also has a larger prop which actually does make a difference at low speed.

Ah! I forgot to mention that when I posted earlier. Yes! The high thrust prop is nice. And although I have the stinky gas version of this motor... I have yet to use 3 gallons of gas in a single season. They really are efficient.

Feb 20, 2020
Lofland Picnic 17' Lake Lanier, GA
Hull speed can be exceeded. The caveat is that to do so the horsepower needs increase at a faster rate per increased speed than when under the hull speed. Hull speed is not a magic number, it is the result of a formula that was derived long time ago when boats were made of wood and most had a similar hull shape. The formula for hull speed in knots = The Square Root of the length of the waterline in feet times a constant of 1.34. This constant of 1.34 is a trash number developed to represent the ratio of speed to the square root of the wetted length. It just so happens that back then most hulls were shaped and constructed similarly and would fit this ratio. This ratio of speed to the square root of the length varies widely in today's boats. I agree with your concept of speed that real speed is the speed over the water and not the speed over the bottom but many boats can go faster than the formula would today indicate and these boats would react differently to the addition of increased horsepower. Many times it is not current but wind that may slow the forward progress and in those cases a stronger engine will do better.
Totally agree. My boat is a motor/sailer with a semi planing hull. It can take up to a 40hp outboard, and pull a skier.
It's pretty funny, the looks we get, when pulling a tube on a masted boat! (I have a 25hp, on mine)

As with any compromise, though, my boat actually sails better, than it motors. There's other hybrids that motor better than sail.
None of the hybrids excel in either mode though.
That being said, I prefer the hybrids. I live in an area with no wind, in the summer, but plenty in the spring and fall. I enjoy sailing more than motoring, but when there's no wind, I can still enjoy the water, and go reasonably fast under power. Sometimes, I'm feeling lazy, and just want to hit the water for a quick bit. So no rigging or mast raising..just power up and go.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Ah! I forgot to mention that when I posted earlier. Yes! The high thrust prop is nice. And although I have the stinky gas version of this motor... I have yet to use 3 gallons of gas in a single season. They really are efficient.
I'm certainly no expert in hydro-dynamics, but I feel like the response is better with the larger prop. I feel like maneuvering in a tight marina under motor at low speed got a lot easier with the new motor. Also, if I'm coming at a dock a little too hot, it only takes a tiny touch in reverse to slow the boat down. With the old prop I felt like I could make all kinds of noise and waves, but not really slow down much.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
on a small boat, I loved my 3.5 merc other than the lack of reverse. I like having a small built in tank on my motor to free up cockpit space.

with some practice I could easily spin the motor backward and reverse.

• Helpful